finbar taub
United States
san diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Many peeps in my group have expressed a desire for Agricola to run longer to be able to build the farm up some more and not end it all so abruptly. So, i figured ide try my hand at making another board section to give us six more rounds - three rounds before harvest for two more stages. Also making some more round cards to fill in the spaces.

Of course, i love Agricola as is, but this could be a fun variant too. Anyone try this yet?

PS- please do not answer if your desire is to tell me that changing Agric in any way is simply heretical and should never be done.

thank you all so much in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
This sounds do-able.

Sometimes we do a "turn zero" before the first turn, give ourselves a little breathing room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lori
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, or you could just choose any round(s) you like to play twice. Or maybe once you get to where there are only 2 rounds before harvest, make it continue to be 3 by playing a round before you reveal the first card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rahn
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some things to consider when balancing/tweaking your variant:

By the end of the normal game all players should have at least 4 family members. Another 6 rounds is a minimum of 24 more actions (and up to 30 more actions depending on when they got their fifth family member). This will probably allow most players to get near perfect scores for each category (especially with a harvest only every 3 rounds). Which means that players scores will be very very similar. There will also be a distinct advantage to any player with a + points minor improvement or occupation for this reason as it will be the only way to differentiate farms. You may find that you need to create a 5 point category for some of the categories to allow for more varied scoring opportunities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, if the game gets longer then you need to make getting points harder too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Ferreira
Portugal
Porto Salvo
Porto Salvo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing on Agricola is not creating a pretty farm, is to put the "engine" running, once this is done the game is finished.

Afterward, that family you were controlling can do the rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea. My wife in particular feels that the game ends much too early, so I will read this thread with interest.

On a side note, you might want to check out Homesteaders if you haven't done so already. This game has a distinct Agricola feel to it, but gives the players more freedom on how to build their engines and I feel that I have reached my goal to a greater extent when this game ends. Very good game, and the two-player version works perfectly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
finbar taub
United States
san diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
thanks so much for all the replies. May try with just one more stage first and see how that goes - will also have to modify some cards - thats true...

ill post when it gets done to let ya'll know

thats for the homesteaders recomend, bolger!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.