Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See the intro thread and links to other decks here: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/4988679

4x Raging Goblin
4x Goblin Piker
4x Sparkmage Apprentice
4x Goblin Artillery
4x Goblin Chieftain
4x Lightning Elemental
3x Kindled Fury
4x Lightning Bolt
3x Act of Treason
2x Earthquake
24x Mountain

Red aggro, lots of burn... no surprise there. But I've never felt good at Red and this deck is no exception. The available creature roster all feels like the same "fast, cheap Red aggro" to me, but I'm sure there are subtleties I'm missing. I just picked the Goblins because they seemed well-costed and fast, but could still pack some surprises given the available instants. Ball Lightnings would be a lot cooler for the rares than the Chieftains and Earthquakes, but they're a bit too pricey for this deck. Basically, this deck wants to win fast, because it doesn't have much of a late-game. I'm wondering whether another Earthquake would be helpful, though that would be another single to buy.

I don't know... I don't feel like this one is as tight as the first two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
badge
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
mbmbmbmb
I'd drop one land in this one, since you have lots of cheap stuff. 23 lands might be enough. The Kindled Furies might not be worth it, perhaps some Fireballs instead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't discount Earthquake. Remember once white gets going with all of the crazy soldier pumping... it'll be the card that saves your butt.

Think of red as FAST EARLY BEATS. they are about racing, not about the long game. Cards like Earthquake and Fireball are for the late game, not little goblins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JockiB wrote:
I'd drop one land in this one, since you have lots of cheap stuff. 23 lands might be enough.

I agree.

Quote:
The Kindled Furies might not be worth it, perhaps some Fireballs instead?

I think I like the Furies, at least for now. It's not the best card in the world, but having more 1cc instants makes turns 3-5 more interesting, since you can tap for a 2 or 3 drop and still have a trick up your sleeve. Lightning Bolt is probably better in all cases for this deck, but we've already maxed those. Also, barring a clearly better alternative, I lean towards having more instants in these decks, as they bring out the limited intelligence issues in the game more clearly than sorceries and enchantments. That's a nice thing for an intro deck to show off.

I'm dropping a Mountain and one of the Lightning Elementals and adding two Jackal Familiars. That's a couple more cheap cards, and with only two Jackals they should have plenty of company when they come up.

I'm looking forward to trying this one out, but I think I'm missing a lot of the Goblins at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.