Tim Mirkes
United States
La Crosse
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Papa was a rollin' stone...
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I have these cards from some years back. They're collectively referred to as the Vanguard cards, from what I can gather. IIRC, they were intended for casual play, and some form of tourney match specifically geared for them, but I have no idea if that ever panned out. Essentially they represent people who accompany your Planeswalker, contributing a continuous effect, and also adjusting your life and hand size totals (sometimes positively, others negatively).

What kind of interest is there in these amongst Magic players? Are they regarded largely as an evolutionary dead end in the growth of the game? Do people (or did people) ever actually use these things? Goodness knows I didn't, but I'm wondering if I would be safe in using them as coasters, or if they're something I'm likely to find a home for.

Any info would be helpful. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Check out Weaponsgrade Tabletop on Youtube!
mbmbmbmbmb
Those cards inspired online formats using Vanguard avatars, pretty much the same concept. The physical game didn't really expand on it, I think the closest thing you can get are the Planeswalker cards, but thats not really the same. I think they are really fun for casual, but I don't play Magic Online enough to get a decent Vanguard deck together.

EDIT: I think they are actually worth a little bit online. Most of the ones I've seen on Ebay start around the 10 dollar range or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They were a lot more popular and saught after a few years ago, but WOTC pushed out Planechase which has some very similar game play and "fixes" some of the world effects. I'd throw them on ebay or keep them for a Math Trade. I know there are MTG players here who would be thrilled to trade for something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on what ones you have I want them. Check out my trade list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.