Subject: "Oh the humanity!"...Anniversary of the Hindenburg disaster... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To commemmorate this terrible 1937 calamity can anybody think of a wargame that uses airships,dirigibles,blimps,hot-air balloons or any other sort of lighter than air conveyance (I don't think gliders count)...GDW's Chaco had a scenario in it that postulated US Marines intervening in the '30s war via blimp insertion,but supplied no actual blimp units...that's the only one I can think of...maybe some of the WWI games (?)...two threads in as many days...I'm on fire!...

Edit:spelling of Hindenburg corrected...apologies ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joris
Netherlands
Haarlem
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: "Oh the humanity!"...Anniversary of the Hindenberg disaster...
First Battle of Britain: The Air War Over England, 1917-18 has zeppelins
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sascha Kutzmann
Germany
Krefeld
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was HindenbUrg, not Hindenberg....

Luftschiff is a very good Solitaire Luftschiff War Game, nice Gameplay reminiscent to an Arcade Shoot em Up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Anderson
United States
Trumansburg
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I own and have enjoyed playing two previously mentioned: First Battle of Britain: The Air War Over England, 1917-18 (a fantastic game from a recent S&T which is inextricably selling at bargain basement rates (I guess others didn't buy the theme). That being said I have to note that the Zeppelin units don't play a huge role in the strategic game) and Zeppelin from a much older issue of S&T. I did Cyberboards for both games and with those and, in the case of FboB living rules from S&T' site you could evaluate the game pretty well up-front.

I own but have not played Luftschiff - a VERY detailed solitaire game that really gets into the innards of how the beasts flew and fought!

Also own a smaller one,Zeppelin: Peter Strasser's Blitz, from a short-lived, minor wargame mag a few years back.

Wings of War: Burning Drachens is from a popular series.
Great War at Sea: Zeppelins is another, an add-on to their GWAS series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clement Tey
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wings of War: Balloon Busters
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
If you watch Fringe the TV show, you see the parallel Earth-verse has Zeppelins in its timeline...

Meanwhile, a phonetic and well worn visual joke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Carlton
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I skimmed through the Wikipedia Hindenburg article as I am want to do when interesting things pop up on the front page.

Not to make light of what was definitely an awful event - but it really is a mere drop in the ocean compared to the horrors of what was to come over the next six years. World Wars aside 36 killed still seems pretty mild compared to say the 1,517 on the Titanic or the 3000 odd in the San Francisco 1906 quake.

I wonder if it's the first instance that began the trend of spectacular footage becoming the be all and end all of news...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Jasta wrote:
World Wars aside 36 killed still seems pretty mild...

It's easy to become jaded and think nothing of the deaths of a few nameless people in some distant time or place, isn't it? They weren't just numbers.

What's even more tragic, the idea of zeppelins died in that explosion. A beautiful, promising, fantastic machine suffers a tragic accident and an entire wing of technology goes with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Caligari
United States
King of Prussia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a topic worthy of a Geeklist! Go ahead and start one, but beware that during searches, your list will always lag behind this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Todd
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can think of one I've been looking for: Ace of Aces: Balloon Buster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilhammer wrote:
If you watch Fringe the TV show, you see the parallel Earth-verse has Zeppelins in its timeline...

Meanwhile, a phonetic and well worn visual joke.

We have similar looking things to those in Australia except they're called 'dugongs'...a parallel Earth in one of the newer series of Dr.Who has airships of some kind too (I think Rose Tyler ends up there)...and what about those 'Golden Compass' books...I think they have a stately attractiveness that make people wish that they were still for real...we can make helium,I believe,so I wonder why they haven't made some sort of come back...too slow perhaps?
...it's interesting that just about everything suggested in the thread have been 'air' wargames...when I originally posted I was only thinking of 'ground' wargames...I think I may have a big hole in my gaming experience...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Caligari
United States
King of Prussia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here in the US, blimps are making a comeback of sorts. Unmanned blimps are being considered by the military for surveillance and communications relay platforms. Check out the newblurb below for info on this puppie:

http://insidetech.monster.com/news/articles/6046-new-lockhee...

Disclaimer: I worked briefly at that plant a few years ago (though I had nothing to do with the airships). While there, I got to see the Goodyear Airdock. Also, at one time, I interviewed with the Navy and got to see the Lakehurst Hangar No. 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
Jasta wrote:
I skimmed through the Wikipedia Hindenburg article as I am want to do when interesting things pop up on the front page.

Not to make light of what was definitely an awful event - but it really is a mere drop in the ocean compared to the horrors of what was to come over the next six years. World Wars aside 36 killed still seems pretty mild compared to say the 1,517 on the Titanic or the 3000 odd in the San Francisco 1906 quake.

I wonder if it's the first instance that began the trend of spectacular footage becoming the be all and end all of news...

Yeah because WWII wasn't covered by the papers and no one has heard of the San Fransisco earthquake. Oh what is this Titanic of which you speak?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
greyareabeyond wrote:
I can think of one I've been looking for: Ace of Aces: Balloon Buster.

Stop looking. I'm a big fan of the whole Ace of Aces series, and I assure you, Balloon Buster just wasn't all that good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a hige fan of airships and up until fairly recently was a Reservist that dealt with them. I got to go fly in blimps for a Coast Guard operation: if you do a google on Key West blimp 2008, you'll probably find a video about the works we were doing. I was not in the vid, thank goodness!

Anyway, see my geeklist http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/20622/the-mighty-airship and you might find something that catches you eye and if folks see an airship related game/game reference, please add it!

Cheers!
Paul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:
Jasta wrote:

It's easy to become jaded and think nothing of the deaths of a few nameless people in some distant time or place, isn't it? They weren't just numbers.

What's even more tragic, the idea of zeppelins died in that explosion. A beautiful, promising, fantastic machine suffers a tragic accident and an entire wing of technology goes with it.

Two things I totally agree with....

These folks weren't numbers any more than the huge number that died on Omaha Beach, the Indonesian Tsunami, or the recent tornadoes and floods. I am certain the poster wasn't consciously thinking that way, but it is easy to fall into the trap.

Second, you are quite right. This basically stagnated airship development. Even more innovative development calls up this disaster and it mentally puts a block on things. That along with everyone feeling things MUST be as fast as a jet.

EDIT: to give you an idea of how things have gone backwards... Top speed on most airships (which are blimps) is about 50 kts; the Shenandoah, Macon, Akron, Hindenberg, and Graf Zeppelin were all about 85 kts. What would airships be like, particularly rigid ones be like with modern technologies and materials; perhaps we'll never know, but with the energy crunch on we may find out we'll wish we had invested in them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Torgerson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Hindenburg disaster is a Breaking News event card in Don't Touch That Dial. It's worth 10 VPs if you can make it happen, and you get to say "Oh the humanity!" as part of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are right about airships using modern technologies...might be good for non-perishable freights or the luxury passenger industry where speed is not all that important...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords Of The Middle Sea is an odd post-apocalypse wargame set in a world dominated by airships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Tak
United States
Chapin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Atraxrobustus wrote:
I think you are right about airships using modern technologies...might be good for non-perishable freights or the luxury passenger industry where speed is not all that important...

I think that if anything, once someone with the cash and initiative to take this up does, they'll find it easier to do today largely because of our better understanding of materials/construction principles/etc and the ability to nigh endlessly computer model everything before going to actual (expensive) production.

And that huge manatee is straight up stolen to my harddrive!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Atraxrobustus wrote:

http://www.airshipventures.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Carlton
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:
Jasta wrote:

Unfortunately you're right... but I was more commentating on it being the start of a trend.

How many times though have you seen or read a footnote in a world news bulletin about 50+ people being killed in a rail disaster or mining collapse in some third world country and barely blinked an eye?

What was the last number of people blown up in Iraq/Afghanistan than stood out from the general background noise of awful events from that region?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Mark my words... sooner or later, lighter than air flight will make a comeback. It's too economically viable, too powerful and reliable and efficient to stay dead forever. Heavier than air is dangerous and expensive - costs you pay for speed.

If the world weren't covered with 70% water and the people all living on the edge of it, we'd already have massive lighter than air travel tech all over the world.

Give it 100 years. Or a prolonged energy crisis. Zeppelins will rise again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Caligari
United States
King of Prussia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This just in! "World's Largest Airship Inflated to Create Monster 'Stratellite'" This company plans to fly a mammoth 230 foor airship in the near future. The article also states that it will have the "ability to fuel with algae" (!!).

See link to news blurb below.

http://www.space.com/businesstechnology/worlds-largest-airsh...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
princemousey wrote:

I believe that is the "ballon mini" when used with the other WWI aircraft minis for Wings of War: Burning Drachens
Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.