United States
Lewiston
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Just got the core set, haven't played it yet, but I'm just asking ahead...

1. ) Does anyone have a list that gives me the order of when chapter packs and expansions have come out?

2. ) Does anyone have storage recommendations? I put my gold dragon coins in its own baggie, then the power tokens in another, and I left the box insert in the box as I think it gives the main box some stability and I removed the cards from their respective holding spots and I left them around the perimeter of the box below the insert. The tokens and title figures are in the middle, enclosed in the square cardboard.

But I'm thinking as I get expansion packs, I'd want to carry as much as I "can" in this box, so I'm curious what others have done. I realize as I'd get more expansions that, I'd have to start lugging around more boxes.

Also, what have you guys done with the chapter pack boxes? Left them in the boxes and then when your ready to play a game, do you spend time going through all your cards to make your deck? I ask as I don't want to throw out any boxes.

3. )So I've never played a CCG/LCG before, I love the game of thrones novels and I have the board game which I think is great, so I'm giving this a try. I'm wondering though, I have my core group of friends that I play BG's with, so say they enjoyed it, would they be able to go out and buy their own expansions and chapter packs and essentially form their own deck and not need to buy the core set as I already have it?

4. )Going with my first question, I asked about the order of chapter packs as It'd kinda make sense to go in order of release date, unless I specifically want cards that I know are in certain chapter packs. So, are all 40 cards listed somewhere on the chapter pack boxes to tell you what's in them? It's my understanding that LCG is a fixed system so your not wasting money on cards that you don't know what your getting.

What would I need to get a playable greyjoy and martell house deck started? Is the one for greyjoy the kings of the sea? expansion?

And what's the difference between the bigger box expansions and the smaller chapter packs.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mike6423 wrote:
1. ) Does anyone have a list that gives me the order of when chapter packs and expansions have come out?

tzumainn.com, the traditional go-to for AGoT info, is down. But if you look on the fantasy flight website, you'll find the chapter packs listed in the order they came out.

Quote:
2.) Does anyone have storage recommendations? I put my gold dragon coins in its own baggie, then the power tokens in another, and I left the box insert in the box as I think it gives the main box some stability and I removed the cards from their respective holding spots and I left them around the perimeter of the box below the insert. The tokens and title figures are in the middle, enclosed in the square cardboard.

I tore out the insert, lined the cards (from the core set and 15+ chapter packs) along either side and put everything else in the middle). The chapter packs come with cardboard packing cards, and you can use those as dividers in a pinch.

Honestly, if you're going to travel with this game a lot, you might just want to get a generic CCG white cardboard box (the long ones, available in any game store). Once your friends are comfortable with the concept of the titles, you don't really need the board or the little sculptures; the title cards have all the info you need (though I admit the board and sculptures are cool).[/q]

Quote:
Also, what have you guys done with the chapter pack boxes? Left them in the boxes and then when your ready to play a game, do you spend time going through all your cards to make your deck? I ask as I don't want to throw out any boxes.

I've kept them around, but they serve no practical purpose. I suppose you could use them as deck boxes if you don't sleeve your cards; I think they'd hold about 60 cards. I keep my cards organized by house, and then by card type.

Quote:
3.) So I've never played a CCG/LCG before, I love the game of thrones novels and I have the board game which I think is great, so I'm giving this a try. I'm wondering though, I have my core group of friends that I play BG's with, so say they enjoyed it, would they be able to go out and buy their own expansions and chapter packs and essentially form their own deck and not need to buy the core set as I already have it?

In regards to the chapter packs, no. Not unless you were willing to give them components of your Core Set. What the Core Set has that none of the chapter packs have is the basic "building block" locations and plots that every deck needs.

As for the bigger expansions (Princes of the Sun and Kings of the Sea), those do contain basic house resources (though you may find Kings of the Sea a little lean on the income/discount locations). You could have a friend purchase a copy of Princes of the Sun, and he would have a functional deck to play with, though it might be a little wonky (Princes of the Sun contains a plot card called "Alliance" which wouldn't serve much purpose unless you were important running out-of-house cards).

But if this friend wanted to expand his deck with chapter packs, he'd quickly notice that each chapter pack contains cards for each house. If he was only running Martell, the majority of each pack would be difficult or impossible for him to use.

Bottom line, you have three options:

1. You buy the Core Set, and the chapter packs, and everybody just contructs decks out of your cards, or runs decks that you construct. Not ideal, but if you love the game more than everybody else, it might come to this.

2. You split up the Core Set, so one of each of your friends gets a House. Then you split the chapter packs as they come along, dividing the cost, with each person taking the cards for his or her house. You decide who gets the valuable neutral cards by reasoned argument or deathmatch (it will probably come down to the latter). This is a terrible idea, and I only mention it point out that it's a terrible idea.

3. If your friends love the game, they get their own copies of the Core Set, and then buy chapter packs based on the kind of decks they want to create.

Quote:
4.) Going with my first question, I asked about the order of chapter packs as It'd kinda make sense to go in order of release date, unless I specifically want cards that I know are in certain chapter packs. So, are all 40 cards listed somewhere on the chapter pack boxes to tell you what's in them? It's my understanding that LCG is a fixed system so your not wasting money on cards that you don't know what your getting.

That's right. The cards in each chapter pack are fixed. You can find the contents of each chapter pack here (just choose the chapter pack from the drop down menu under "Filter Card Set").

Quote:
What would I need to get a playable greyjoy and martell house deck started? Is the one for greyjoy the kings of the sea? expansion?

For a playable Greyjoy deck, one need one copy of Kings of the Sea. For a more optimal Greyjoy deck, with a few more income/discount house resources, you should have two copies of kings of the sea.

For a playable Martell deck, you need one copy of Princes of the Sun.

Please note that when I say "playable," I mean in reference to the Core Set decks. The Core Set decks are balanced, but not tournament legal (the minimum number of cards in a tournament-legal deck is 60 cards + 7 plot cards; while the Core Set decks have 45 cards + 7 plot cards). Also, not all the plots that come with Princes of the Sun or Kings of the Sea are not optimal for that House (but then again, I don't think all the plots in the Core Set are optimally assigned; for example, I don't think Stark should be running "Valar Morghulis").

Quote:
And what's the difference between the bigger box expansions and the smaller chapter packs?

Each big box expansion is focused around a single house, and the bulk of its content is dedicated to that house (Kings of the Sea = Greyjoy, Princes of the Sun = Martell, Lords of Winter = Stark, etc). Kings of the Sea contains 1 copy of each card. Princes of the Sun contains 2 copies of each card. Lords of Winter will contain 3 copies of each card.

Each of the chapter packs introduces 20 new cards, along the following distribution: x1 copy of 10 of the cards, x3 copies of the other 10 (40 cards total). Each chapter pack contains cards for each house.

Starting with the next chapter pack cycle (Brotherhood without Banners), each chapter pack will contain 20 new cards, with x3 copies of each card (60 cards total). That will be the chapter pack distribution model from then on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.