Darren Bezzant
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
"Everyone wants to be unique, but no one wants to be different."
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I get that this is a great game from reading some of the posts, but I don't really have a lot of investment in American history. (I know, we live right on their border, and I probably know more American History than I do Canadian, but that is a different story). And yes, I know that Canada plays an integral part of this war.

My question really falls down to this: Is this a good game, regardless of the historical nature of the subject?

Thanks

Darren
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Dean
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious predator on Earth!
mbmbmb
It is a pretty fun game, regardless of your historical interest. I admit that I am not hugely interested in the ARW, but I found it to be fairly enjoyable. I think I would generally rather play Hannibal, both from a game play perspective and due to a greater interest in ancients warfare, but this one is still solid and plays in about 2/3 to 1/2 the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fritz Mulnar
Germany
Berlin
not Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OF COURSE!
Mark Herman! THE Card driven Classic! Must see! Must play! Grandfather of all card driven games! Re-tuned by the Master himself!

But it is with warmaking. Conflict simulation. If you do not like tat, well. Still good Game, because you mostly try to control areas.
Ah, really. The grandfather of even Chaos in the old world, i some way.
And re-tuned by... blush i already said that. Well. Just read it again.

Really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey if I can play Dos De Mayo, you can play this. Sorry I couldnt think of any Canadian military strategy games... you guys are just way too laid back :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Bauer
United States
Reading
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Waste Water too
badge
Mid-Atlantic Air Museum
mbmbmbmbmb
dbezzant wrote:
OK, I get that this is a great game from reading some of the posts, but I don't really have a lot of investment in American history. (I know, we live right on their border, and I probably know more American History than I do Canadian, but that is a different story). And yes, I know that Canada plays an integral part of this war.

My question really falls down to this: Is this a good game, regardless of the historical nature of the subject?

Thanks

Darren

First off, we have a border? Oh yeah you're from that part of the map that requires control of Montreal and Quebec but not Ft. Detroit.

No seriously, I have enjoyed all the CDG similar to this. I had no real interest in the Second Punic War but Hannibal was just great fun, I presume that For the People also would seemingly be disinteresting to you but it's just a fun system.

Now one of the really cool things about WWr is that each side has unique strengths that require separate strategies. It's really challenging to play the other side. I don't think interest in the subject matter is necessary to enjoy this game.

My next purchase will be Wilderness War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
charlescab wrote:
Hey if I can play Dos De Mayo, you can play this. Sorry I couldnt think of any Canadian military strategy games... you guys are just way too laid back

Couple of them just off the top of my head:

1775: Invasion of Canada; War Plan: Crimson; Montcalm and Wolfe on Top of the Rock; On to Quebec: The US Invasion of Canada, 1775-76; Quebec 1759
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea I remembered those "Invasion of Quebec" games but we didnt win those ;)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Bezzant
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlescab wrote:
Hey if I can play Dos De Mayo, you can play this. Sorry I couldnt think of any Canadian military strategy games... you guys are just way too laid back

Laid back?? Ridiculous!! Why I oughta... Oh Nevermind, its probably my fault, I'm sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Bezzant
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My Thanks to everyone for your great responses - I will definitely put this on my next game order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Bezzant
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bubslug wrote:
charlescab wrote:

Couple of them just off the top of my head:

1775: Invasion of Canada; War Plan: Crimson; Montcalm and Wolfe on Top of the Rock; On to Quebec: The US Invasion of Canada, 1775-76; Quebec 1759

Thanks for these - I will have to check them out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kemp
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dbezzant wrote:

Thanks

Darren

I think I qualify to answer this one.

I live halfway round the world and never been to the continental US...This is a great game.

Paul Kemp
Auckland, NEW ZEALAND
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.