United States
Cape Coral
Florida
flag msg tools
Solo Gamers are NOT lonely!
badge
Together We Game Alone (1 Player Guild)
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been wanting a good solo variant for a while now and I can never find anything I liked. I've seen all over these boards people asking about solo rules and such and most point to the old Deathwing solo variant. So after reading through and trying them, along with other tips people have added, I've decided to come up with some solo rules of my own that would work better with 3rd edition and share them with everyone.

I'll talk about the rules then in the end I'll post them in order without my commentary if you want to copy them for a reference sheet.

I want to add that with the solo rules I did find, I did not like the rule, about placing reinforcement blips on the entry point closest and second closest to a Space Marine, that is in the Darkwing solo rules. You could exploit this by sending everyone toward the entrances furthest away from the objective and send the guy you need to the objective.
For example, in Mission 1, You'll know that the GS get 2 blips each turn, and there's and area far away from the objective that has 2 entry points. all you'd have to do is send everyone but the flamer to the right, (as you come out of the starting area) and hang out in the corridor keeping everyone on overwatch, then send the SM with the Heavy Flamer to the control room and there you go, win. (I did this 3 times and won every time with only losing 1 or 2 marines)
This was what made me start coming up with these rules.

PDF for download. v1.5

Space Hulk Third Edition: Solo Variant
v1.4

Space Marines:
No changes made. When it comes to using the Command Points though, just be honest with yourself and don't use 6 every time. Not that anyone could stop you, but come on, have a challenge.

Genestealer "AI":

Blip Reinforcement

Number the Genestealer Entry Areas. No need for a particular order however, just put the numbers wherever you want cause the dice will decide anyway.

In the following rules is the term “Key Space Marine”. This refers to a Space Marine that is vital to the mission. For example, in Mission 1 the Heavy Flamer, or in Mission 3 whichever Space Marine carries the C.A.T.

"Beginning of mission" blips start closest to the Key Space Marine. Otherwise, the blips start at the entry closest to any Space Marine.

Do not look at the number on the blips.

When placing blips the first blip is placed on the closest entrance to the Key Space Marine. The rest are placed randomly. (See below). In the event that the mission does not have a Key Space Marine, all blips are placed randomly.
For a random entrance, roll a die to determine random starting point for each blip separately. 1d6 for 1-6 entry areas, 1d10 for 7-10 entry points, 1d12 for 11-12 points, etc.
If a number is generated higher than there is entry points, reroll.

Normal Lurking rules do not apply so if a Space Marine is 6 or fewer spaces forcing a lurk, the blip will convert and the models will enter the board.

In the case that there are special rules for lurking (like in Mission 2 where blips are destroyed if they are at an entry point with an Space Marine within 6 spaces), do the following. If the random entry rolled for would cause the blip to be effected by special lurking rules, reroll once for a new entry point. If the second roll puts the blip at an entry point effected by the special lurking rules, then the blip is affected by those rules.

Blip Conversion

All blip conversion and movement rules apply as normal. As per the rules, blips cannot enter line of site nor be revealed after they have moved.

If a blip has to enter the board into line of sight, then go ahead and convert it off the board and have the models enter as normal.

If a blip, that hasn't moved yet, is close enough to an Space Marine to attack it, it will reveal and which ever Genestealer that can make it to the Space Marine and get in an attack will do so. (This counts as a voluntary reveal for rules sake therefore you cannot reveal models into line of sight)

If in the case a converted blip cannot place all models legally, roll 1d6. On a roll of 1-2, the models that cannot be placed are lost. On a roll of 3+, the blip, or blips near it, may move back one space to allow room for the models. This movement does not count against the movement allowed for blips. This is to simulate human error.

Blips will ALWAYS enter the board and move or convert and enter the board. The only time a genestealer will not enter the board is if the entrance is blocked by another model.

Movement

Genestealers will always move toward the closest space marine. When the distance to marines is equal, genestealers will use the following order of preference: marines facing away, marines facing to the side, marines not on overwatch, marines on overwatch.

The Genestealers move in order from closest to a Space Marine to the furthest. In the event of a tie, roll a d6. (For 2 GS, pick one for 1-3 roll and the other for 4-6 roll, then roll. For 3 GS, 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, etc.)

If the Genestealer's move would cause him to enter a square within LOS of a Space Marine that is on, roll a D6 on the Genestealer Tactics table. If the Genestealer has a guard marker (from Defensive result) roll on the Defensive Tactics table instead.
This rule only happens for +2 space of line of sight because they can run across 1 space of line of sight if they can't reach the Space Marine and attack but only if doing so will get them closer to another Space Marine. If they can reach a Space Marine and attack at least once, do not roll on the tactics table and automatically use the aggressive result.

Genestealer Tactics (d6)
1-2: Defensive: Genestealer will lurk. On it's next turn, roll on the Defensive Tactic table.*
3-4: Semi-aggressive: Genestealer will move through LoS unless it's covered by Overwatch. If so use the Defensive result.
5-6: Aggressive: Genestealer will move through LoS and Overwatch without lurking.
* Use a Guard Marker to remind you

Defensive Tactics (d6)
1: Defensive: Genestealer will stay Defensive**
2-3: Determined: Genestealer will move through LoS unless it’s covered by Overwatch, in which it stays Defensive**
4-6: Impatient: Genestealer will no longer lurk and move through LoS and Overwatch
** Change the Guard Marker to an overwatch marker. If a Genestealer starts its turn with an Overwatch marker, it automatically selects the “Impatient” result. This means that a Genestealer will only remain defensive for 2 consecutive turns.
If however there is an alternate route, not covered by overwatch, the genestealer will take that instead.

If a Genestealer starts its turn in line of sight, it moves toward the closest Space Marine, even if it can't get to it to attack. Do not roll on the Tactics Tables.

When a Key Space Marine is within 3 map sections or 12 spaces from his objective (whichever comes first) Blips no longer enter random entry points and the Tactics table is no longer rolled on. All blips/models enter at the point closest to the Key Space Marine and all genestealers are Aggressive doing everything they can to get to the Key Space Marine.

C.A.T.
On the result that genestealers move the C.A.T., roll a die to determine a random direction.
If you have a Warhammer 40K random direction die, you could use that too. Just pick the direction closest to the result.

Broodlord
If the mission allows the Broodlord, Revealing the Broodlord is still the same except when the revealed blip is 3, roll a d6. On a 5+ the Blip is the Broodlord.

Updates:
11/11/12
v1.5
• Cleaned up spelling/grammar
• Added rules for "Key Space Marine"
• Changed rules for Special Lurking Rules
• Got rid of the optional rules
• Reworked Tactics Tables
• Added rule for getting close to objective to make ending more tense
• Added rule for C.A.T.

4/4/11
• Fixed Area Secure special rules

5/7/10
• Updated the Blip Conversion section and turned the "Variant" part into the main rule. The original way I did it is now an optional rule.
• Changed the LOS rule

I will continue to play test this and try new ideas, so I'll edit this post as necessary. Please send feedback and comments, as I would love to know what everyone thinks and maybe you guys will think of something I haven't. Many minds are better than one.

PDF for download. v1.5
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hedrich
United States
Lehigh Acres
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Shacky's Solo Varient for Space Hulk 3rd Edition
I have a question about your "variant within a variant" rule. Suppose the genestealer is more than 5 spaces away from the closest space marine, but can't advance any further because the blip would then be entering line of sight? I would assume that you would just make it reveal next turn, but I just thought I would ask. Also, suppose that the genestealer is in the middle of a move, and reaches the space 5 away from the SM. Does the blip immediately reveal now, and continue its turn, breaking the standard rulebook rules, or will it wait until next turn to be revealed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ebert
United States
Cape Coral
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rylore wrote:
Suppose the genestealer is more than 5 spaces away from the closest space marine, but can't advance any further because the blip would then be entering line of sight? I would assume that you would just make it reveal next turn, but I just thought I would ask. Also, suppose that the genestealer is in the middle of a move, and reaches the space 5 away from the SM. Does the blip immediately reveal now, and continue its turn, breaking the standard rulebook rules, or will it wait until next turn to be revealed?

I guess I'll rephrase that section. I completely worded it wrong, but no, all standard blips rule apply. Just imagine as if you were the GS player. You'd keep your blip unconverted, but if one was close enough to attack, before it moved of course, you'd activate it and send the GS(s) in that could reach the SM. (assuming of course you wanted to do that, but for A.I. reasons they do)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ebert
United States
Cape Coral
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I updated the Blip Conversion section and turned the "Variant" part into the main rule. The original way I did it is now an optional rule.

I also came across a problem with Movement involving LOS, which I discovered in my last run through, which I still lost. I had a bunch of blips get crowded in a corridor cause they couldn't reach my space marine and attack. So I'm changing the LOS rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ebert
United States
Cape Coral
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I changed the part about GS waiting for SM to get closer. Instead of using an overwatch counter and flipping it to the jam counter (which in the games I played seemed to have them wait for too long), I changed it to be just using a guard counter once. (I also changed it to guard counter since I'm pretty sure most of you use more overwatch counters than guard counters... but I could be wrong. I know I do)

Also, I've run into a problem with deciding where the GS will enter the board. With mission 2, if they are forced to lurk, they are destroyed. I constantly kept rolling for the ones that were blocked so I won that map a little too easily. Even though you'll never know where the GS come from, someone playing as the GS will not actually put a blip at those entry points (at least I hope), so I'll be adding an optional rule dealing with situations like that.

The other problem I've run into is the randomization on maps that have 7+ entry points. First thing is the obvious. If you are playing a map with 10 entry points, you'd roll 2d6. But rolling 2d6 means you never generate a 1. The only two things I can think of are to either use the roll of "11" for entry point #1, (Or use entry point #11 instead of #1)... or just subtract one less the number of dice you use from the total. This would help get you the roll of 1, but then if you have 12 entry points you'll need 3d6.

Well, I was trying out that until I realized something else. If you have 6 or fewer entry points, the dice thing works great. but for 2d6, the possibility of numbers coming up changes.

1d6 each number has a "1" in "6" chance to be rolled.

2d6 is much different. "2" and "12" have a 1 in 36 chance, "3" and "11" have a 2 in 36 chance, "4" and "10" have a 3 in 36 chance, "5" and "9" have a 4 in 36 chance... and so on. This means that "7" will be the most popular roll with all the various ways a 7 can be generated on 2d6.

I need a solution to this, I'll think this over and try to come up with something, any ideas would be great. I want to keep this as random as possible to keep you on your toes while you play and never know where they'll come from. Like I mentioned above, having them enter near the largest group or even entering near the closest to the objective can be exploited.

Any ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hedrich
United States
Lehigh Acres
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer to your problem with more than 6 entry points is unbelievably simple to fix. Don't restrict yourself to d6s. Use a d12 or even a d20 if need be, depending on how many entries there are. You're welcome. =)

For mission 2, just make it so that if you roll to enter a point that is already blocked, you re-roll for another entry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ebert
United States
Cape Coral
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rylore wrote:
The answer to your problem with more than 6 entry points is unbelievably simple to fix. Don't restrict yourself to d6s. Use a d12 or even a d20 if need be, depending on how many entries there are. You're welcome. =)

Yea, I had thought of that, but tried using a way that included only things that came with the game, but I'll add that.

Rylore wrote:
For mission 2, just make it so that if you roll to enter a point that is already blocked, you re-roll for another entry.

That was my thought, I forgot to add that when I edited last.

I also changed lurking. I took back the rule from Deathwing solo rules that Space Marines cannot force lurking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McKenna
msg tools
Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Quote:
Rylore wrote:

Yea, I had thought of that, but tried using a way that included only things that came with the game, but I'll add that.

If you want to stick with d6's only, you could try splitting the entry points into groups, and then rolling within each group to see where they come from. For example (if have, eg, 10 entry point) on a roll of 1-3 use group 'A', on a 4-6 use group 'B'. Up to you how you want to split it within that group: 'A' could consist of 6 entry points, 'B' of 4 (and re-roll a 5 or 6) or both groups could consist of 5 entry points (and reroll 6's).

Not sure if I've described that very well, but hopefully it makes sense!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike MacMartin
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Games Workshop, in many of their other games, used what they call a d66. It's like a d100, but with d6s. So, you number 11-16, then 21-26, and so on. This will give you far more entry possibilities than you'll ever need, and have a linear distribution to boot. The other option is the Battletech method (the groups as described by David McKenna): (1-3)1, (1-3)2, ..., (1-3)6, (4-6)1, (4-6)2, ..., (4-6)6.

Either will make it work well, and only need the d6s that come in the box
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ebert
United States
Cape Coral
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dmcke013 wrote:

If you want to stick with d6's only, you could try splitting the entry points into groups, and then rolling within each group to see where they come from. For example (if have, eg, 10 entry point) on a roll of 1-3 use group 'A', on a 4-6 use group 'B'. Up to you how you want to split it within that group: 'A' could consist of 6 entry points, 'B' of 4 (and re-roll a 5 or 6) or both groups could consist of 5 entry points (and reroll 6's).

Not sure if I've described that very well, but hopefully it makes sense!

I think I get ya, I'll look into this and see what I come up with. This would definitely help keep just what's in the box which I wanted to do just in case there are those that don't want to buy extra stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ebert
United States
Cape Coral
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After playtesting these enough, I'm pretty satisfied with them. Any updates will be posted here along with the new updated file.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ebert
United States
Cape Coral
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got back into Space Hulk and I've made it my mission to win each mission with these solo rules. I'm not trying to complete this mission anytime soon, but over time I will work on it. And I'll keep playing a mission till I beat it.

After playing Mission II tonight, I didn't really like how I originally handled the Area Secure special rules. So I fixed them and they seem to work a lot better now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artemus Maximus
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
going to try these out this weekend thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Scholes
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For nearly ultimate random generation of weighted probabilities using dice invest $1 to buy two different color d10's. One is the 10's digit. The other 1's. Probability to the nearest 1% in one roll. Make a chart on a 3x5 card if you are trying something complex like 14% chance of one outcome, 39% of another, etc. Don't have to add to 100%. You can discard rolls outside the required range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fergus Hadley
United Kingdom
leeds
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious. Did you manage to defeat all the missions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ebert
United States
Cape Coral
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
voidstate wrote:
Just curious. Did you manage to defeat all the missions?

I haven't yet. But that's not cause I couldn't. I got really sidetracked by other games and writing other scenarios. I do plan to get back to this hopefully soon.

Have you tried this variant out yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fergus Hadley
United Kingdom
leeds
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I might give it a shot next week. I'll let you know how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fergus Hadley
United Kingdom
leeds
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Managed to try it out last night and was rather impressed.

The genestealers were rather predictable but I still only scraped a win. I was playing Mission V where you have 10 marines and have to get to escape the board. I only managed to get 1 marine off but then rolled a 1 so it still counted as a win.

The only times it felt wrong were when, on a couple of occasions, the genestealers brought on blips a long way from the action and when there were good lurking places they ran straight past in their hurry to get into the action.

vs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ebert
United States
Cape Coral
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
voidstate wrote:
Managed to try it out last night and was rather impressed.

The genestealers were rather predictable but I still only scraped a win. I was playing Mission V where you have 10 marines and have to get to escape the board. I only managed to get 1 marine off but then rolled a 1 so it still counted as a win.

The only times it felt wrong were when, on a couple of occasions, the genestealers brought on blips a long way from the action and when there were good lurking places they ran straight past in their hurry to get into the action.

vs

Thanks for the feedback and glad you liked it.

I was unable to figure out how to make the Genestealers unpredictable without using something that didn't come with the game. I thought about creating a card deck that operated the Genestealers but I just couldn't come up with anything I liked.

One rule I thought about making optional, or even dropping entirely, was the part if they have to move through 2+ spaces in LoS, that they wait one turn. I was thinking about changing it to that they will only run through 2+ spaces of LoS if they can get in at least one attack. It could work, cause even if you just sit there and wait as a Space Marine, the Genestealers could swarm up that hallway and then you'd have hell to deal with.
Do you think that would help? Make no difference? Or make it worse?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fergus Hadley
United Kingdom
leeds
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the lurking thing was kinda neat, actually.

Maybe you could have a simple Genestealer Tactics table so the marine doesn't know exactly how they stealers will act on their turn. Something like...

Genestealer Tactics (d6)
1-2 Aggressive: Genestealers will move through LoS and Overwatch without lurking. They can smell your sweet, sweet genes.
3-4 Cautious: Genestealers will lurk for one turn rather than move through 2+ squares of LoS. If they lurked last turn and will have to pass through 2+ Overwatch-covered squares, they will continue to lurk unless they finish within d6 squares of a marine (roll for each Genestealer separately).
5-6: Defensive: Genestealers will not move through 2+ squares of LoS or any Overwatch-covered squares unless they can end their move in cover.

Ignore these tactics if a Genestealer can get an attack. In that case they always charge in.

vs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ebert
United States
Cape Coral
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
voidstate wrote:
I thought the lurking thing was kinda neat, actually.

Maybe you could have a simple Genestealer Tactics table so the marine doesn't know exactly how they stealers will act on their turn. Something like...

Genestealer Tactics (d6)
1-2 Aggressive: Genestealers will move through LoS and Overwatch without lurking. They can smell your sweet, sweet genes.
3-4 Cautious: Genestealers will lurk for one turn rather than move through 2+ squares of LoS. If they lurked last turn and will have to pass through 2+ Overwatch-covered squares, they will continue to lurk unless they finish within d6 squares of a marine (roll for each Genestealer separately).
5-6: Defensive: Genestealers will not move through 2+ squares of LoS or any Overwatch-covered squares unless they can end their move in cover.

Ignore these tactics if a Genestealer can get an attack. In that case they always charge in.

vs

Very nice idea! I'll work out the details and get it added. This is why I love feedback... I can't think of everything. lol. It never occured to me to add a table. Then again, this was the first solo variant I ever wrote. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ebert
United States
Cape Coral
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay... what do you think of this? I tried to add in more variables to make it more unpredictable.

If the Genestealer's move would cause him to enter a square within LOS of a Space Marine that is on, roll a D6 on the Genestealer Tactics table. If the Genestealer has a guard marker (from Defensive result) roll on the Defensive Tactics table instead.

Genestealer Tactics (d6)
Roll
1-2
5-6
Result
Aggressive: Genestealer will move through LoS and Overwatch without lurking.
Semi-aggressive: Genestealer will move through LoS. If it's covered by Overwatch, however, use the Cautious result.
Cautious: Genestealer will lurk for one turn.
Defensive: Genestealer will lurk (Place a guard marker next to a Genestealer to remember). On it's next turn, roll on the Defensive Tactic table.

Defensive Tactics (d6)
Roll
1-2
3-4
5-6
Result
Impatient: Genestealer will no longer lurk and move through LoS and Overwatch (Remove Guard Counter)
Determined: Genestealer will move through LoS unless covered by Overwatch, in which it stays Defensive (Do not remove Guard Counter)
Defensive: Genestealer will stay Defensive (Do not remove Guard Counter)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fergus Hadley
United Kingdom
leeds
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice.

The only things I would suggest considering are:

I liked the 2+ squares of overwatch rule. I meant genestealers would dash across intersections, maybe risking a single shot from overwatch, but not charge down a corridor towards a waiting marine. This seems to be the kind of thing a genestealer player would risk.

Also, maybe add something about taking alternative route (if available) instead of lurking? Maybe use this for the defensive tactics table?

Roll
5-6 Defensive: Genestealer will stay Defensive (Do not remove Guard Counter). If there is an alternative but longer route that leads to a marine, the stealer will set off on it, continuing to move along that route until forced to roll on the Genestealer Tactics table again.

vs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ebert
United States
Cape Coral
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
voidstate wrote:
Nice.

The only things I would suggest considering are:

I liked the 2+ squares of overwatch rule. I meant genestealers would dash across intersections, maybe risking a single shot from overwatch, but not charge down a corridor towards a waiting marine. This seems to be the kind of thing a genestealer player would risk.

Also, maybe add something about taking alternative route (if available) instead of lurking? Maybe use this for the defensive tactics table?

Roll
5-6 Defensive: Genestealer will stay Defensive (Do not remove Guard Counter). If there is an alternative but longer route that leads to a marine, the stealer will set off on it, continuing to move along that route until forced to roll on the Genestealer Tactics table again.

vs

Most of the corridors are only 1 space wide anyway so they will only be running through 1 space of LoS, which would not trigger this table roll. (Like if crossing a corridor to get to a closer space marine, they would do that anyway)
I do like the alternative route though. With the current rule they always try to get to the closest marine, with this way, they would run around trying to flank. I like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fergus Hadley
United Kingdom
leeds
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried it again with the table last night and it worked great. It definitely made it less easy to base decisions on the marine's turn on the genestealers' behaviour.

I also used a couple of ideas I found in another solo variant.

1: When placing genestealers, they alternate between the closest entrance to any marine and a random entrance. This meant more stealers heading straight to the marines to keep the pressure on but some still spreading out to block off the rest of the map.

2: When the distance to marines is equal, genestealers will use the following order of preference: marines facing away, marines facing to the side, marines not on overwatch, marines on overwatch. This stopped the stealer running into overwatch fire on a few occasions.

vs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.