Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gregory Curtis
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heyas all. So anyway we just recently got our copy of Revolution. I will admit as well...its a game I had been looking at for a long time but never pulled the purchase trigger on until I saw the Dice Tower review by Mr. Vassal. After seeing the review I ordered it (along with another game I had on my list Carpe Astra).

So anyway...I finally got 2 games in and here is a bit of a session report on our last game.

Players:

Me - Yellow
Oldest son (14) - Green
Younger son (9) - Blue

Summary:

Our first game was sort of a learning game..we basically just played 3 rounds to sorta see how everything flowed and made sure my youngest son saw what was going on.

On our first "Real" game things got going fast. I think on the first turn everyone made a bit of headway. I was able to secure the Captain and Merchant I believe...my older son grabbed the General and Magistrate. My younger son grabbed Printer along with a few of the bottom row spaces.

Let me explain one thing upfront...my younger son loves conflict in a game. He looks and there are spaces titled Spy and Mercenary, Rogue....game on. Anything he can do to attack people and cause chaos is his domain. So you would think this would make him easy to predict. In some ways it did...but it also created a tough dynamic for me and my son of...do we really want to waste time fighting him for those spaces or just go for the point makers above?

Thanks adreww

So anyway my two sons got into a power struggle for the Fortress. So I stayed away from that. Early turns I focused on Captain to get 3 blocks in there. Then I shifted focus and ended up getting majority in Plantation, Tavern and Town Hall. My older son locked up all spots in Market. My younger son was pushing dominance in Catherdral and was fighting his brother back and forth on Fortress.

What also started happening is my youngest son start dominating the Printer space. He was many times dropping a Force on there that he was getting from say the General or Mercenary spaces. So he started pulling out to a pretty sizable lead. I believe towards the last few turns he was at around 118 points while my older son and I were in the 50's range.

However towards the end my older son was able to score the printer a few times and then was able to gain dominance in the Fortress from his brother. My younger son hosed me with a tie on Tavern...and then I basically had no choice on last turn but to do the same to him on the Cathedral ( I couldn't get my older son out of majority on Fortress).

However you can probably see where this is going on final score.

Final score and details:

Dad - 172
Oldest Son - 156
Youngest Son - 138

Basically what happen was I was able to get dominance on 3 areas at end of game...Harbor, Plantation and Town Hall.

My oldest son got Fortress and Market.

Tavern and Cathedral were ties.

Basically my younger son being full on aggressive and not taking care to secure at least one area cost him. My older son I think focused a bit too much early game on getting lots of tokens etc...but not making much progress securing areas.

If you look at the final scores though...my youngest son would have won by one point over me if he would have secured the Cathedral. The last 2 turns the cathedral was one of the last buildings filled..he didnt fill those instead he was battling to move cubes around in Fortress etc and that probably cost him.

Side notes and observations....

We had a great time. Fun game overall. Its interesting my oldest son and I talked about it a bit afterwards...

The game seems to have definite "Phases" to it in the level of strategy that is going on. Basically Phase 1 is just calculated chaos. The first like 2 turns you have no idea what is going on. Your best plans can be someone elses and you will get hosed. You just hope for the best and try to spread around a bit.

Then around turn 3 or 4 you hit Phase 2. Here a bit of a picture is starting to focus. You see what people are moving towards. You see what areas are getting ignored a bit. So at this point your trying to sorta make your strategy towards what you want to get...while also trying to keep others in check a bit so they dont run away with something.

Then towards the end of the game when you have about 2-3 turns left (or about 6-8 empty spaces left on board) its a mad scramble of Phase 3. Your trying to firm up majority on spaces while also seeing if there is any way you can maybe hose someone else up by doing a swap or token replace in a area that is contested. On the last turn of our game I lost the Tavern and my youngest son lost the Cathedral.

Interesting game with alot of hidden strategy I feel will come out with more plays. We had a great time. After several more plays I will most likely hammer a review on this one. Thanks for reading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Chapman
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the write-up. I love well-written reviews, which this one was, but I love session reports that involve the family even more. Mega-kudos!
--
Paul Chapman
Marketing Director
Steve Jackson Games
paul@sjgames.com
(512) 447-7866 x206
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Curtis
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks.

Yeah boardgaming is a good bit of hobby in my house and I feel lucky that I have two boys and a wife that will even play here and there. My oldest boy who is 14 is a VERY sharp kid. Straight A's and all that so gives a challenge every game. Also my younger son who is 9 as I said is very sharp and aggressive as well.

Plan to get my wife in on a couple games of this over the weekend and see how that goes. Her games of choice are Stone Age and AoE 3. So worker type placement games are her preference. Maybe Ill go take the meeples from Stone Age and use them on Revolution! to trick her a bit, lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.