Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Axelsson
Sweden
Eksjö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all!

I could'nt log in to the forums at privateer press so I post here instead.

I have on and off looked at WM/Hordes but nobody here plays it (GW/FoW addicts at my club with some minor games popping up now and then, like secrets of third reich, blackpowder and such).
Still I recently sold all my GW stuff as i have played more or less all armies of fantasy/40k and are tired of both the never changing universe + the models are getting too clean and "characterless" since they went to computerized sculpting.

Now, I don't find myself the time or eagerness to paint a lot of infantry so I bought some everblight models just to paint...
Then it happened! I fell in love with the miniatures, awesome sculpting, characterful poses and not 25+ identical models to paint!

That was a little introduction on where I am as a gamer at the moment. I understand that I should wait for the Hordes v2 to come out before I spend anything on books for hordes. My main questions are these about WM:

- What models are new? I read somewhere that the new models are plastic, how do I know wich models are plastic? My lgs don't carry these models as there is no interest in playing here, and I don't see any differences in the webshops. Can I buy just a jack or two and a caster and get going? I am not sure I like the battleboxes if they are old and metal if I can get a new and shiny plastic model (easier to build and personalise).

- Army books? Are these required? As a newbie in both the universe and the rules, do I need the armybook to build a force or do I manage with the big MKII rulebook?

Anyway, thanks for reading!

//Jonathan - Swedish gameoholic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Endre Fodstad
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to look up www.kolgruvan.se , the swedish Iron Kingdoms/Warmachine and Hordes community site, to find more players.

PP lists plastic models, but currently, the plastics are:
The new Heavy Warjack kits for all Warmachine factions except Mercenaries
The following infantry:
Protectorate Exemplar Bastions & Exemplar Cinerators
Trollblood Fennblades
Legion Warspears

Do not buy any Hordes books until this one, which you should get:

...when it comes out in late July. Alongside this comes the card decks, which function as a mini-army book for the respective factions. The Legion deck will likely be named "Legion of Everblight 2010 Faction Deck".

Here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6356864/WARMACHINE%20og%20HORDES%20r...

Is a rules bundle with all the almost-finished rules and model rules sets PP put out. Only minor changes happened until the final Warmachine books and cards, and likely the same will be the case with Hordes.

PP's release schedule usually has a book out per year, alternating between Warmachine and Hordes. All the factions in the respective game get a few new models/units with each new book.

Due to the current Mk2 rerelease, the usual scheduling has been somewhat altered. Each faction gets a faction book with entries for all the models currently out, plus a few new releases. In addition, the Minions get an upgrade to the same sort of semi-faction status as the Mercenaries have, where you can play "Minion Pact" armies. The faction books are not strictly necessary unless you want a comprehensive list of all current models, the background and the "themed army" lists ("fluff" restrictive lists that give certain minor bonuses), as the faction card decks will provide you with all the cards you need for your faction and new releases contain cards. They also have pretty good painting guides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexei Gartinski
Jordan
Amman
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The easiest way to decide whether you'd be interested in Hordes/Warmachine is to simply try it using the quick-start rules. You can download the MkII version for Warmachine and a playtest version for Hordes at Privateer Press website http://privateerpress.com/ Both provide you with the statictics cards for battlegroups (3-5 models); you can simply use proxy bases of appropriate sizes (3,4 and 5cm diameter) for your first games.

That's how I started anyway Just beware: Warmachine/Hordes is highly addictive!..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Upton
msg tools
alexeigartinski wrote:
The easiest way to decide whether you'd be interested in Hordes/Warmachine is to simply try it using the quick-start rules. You can download the MkII version for Warmachine and a playtest version for Hordes at Privateer Press website http://privateerpress.com/ Both provide you with the statictics cards for battlegroups (3-5 models); you can simply use proxy bases of appropriate sizes (3,4 and 5cm diameter) for your first games.

How do you determine the appropriate size for proxy bases? Since it says in the quickstart rules that base size matters for calculating effects like charging and line of sight, I guess it matters, but the cards for the quickstart rules don't give any indications about base size.

Also, how big is the area of effect template? I assume it's basically just a disc but I have no idea of the radius

Edit: I looked up individual models at the Privateer Press Gallery http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/gallery . For anybody else looking for the same information, here are the base sizes for the casters and warjacks in "Warmachine MKII Quick Start Rules Back":

Cygnar
--
Stryker 30mm
Lancer 40mm
Charger 40mm
Ironclad 50mm

Protectorate
--
high exemplar kreoss 30mm
repenter 40mm
revenger 40mm
crusader 50mm

Khador
--
Kommander Sorscha 30mm
Juggernaut 50mm
Destroyer 50mm

Cryx
--
Warwitch Denghra 30mm
Deathripper 40mm
Defiler 40mm
Slayer 50mm

And I found an area of effect template, I guess it's just the number of inches in the card's AOE column centered around the target?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.