Subject: Q: Phase six: Final profit determination rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luigi Pasato
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say:

"Determine who controls each company. The player with the most shares in a company will take the corresponding Company Control marker. In the case of a tie for share tokens the player closest clockwise to the player to control that company, (starting with that player), takes the control marker."

The question is: during Phase six: Final profit determination, how you determine who controls a company in the case of a tie but nobody controls this company?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Non vi sed virtute, not armis sed arte paritur victoria.
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
In case of a tie, player who is closest to the player who controled the company as last one, takes the control marker - this is how it should be read.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luigi Pasato
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But how do you remember who controlled the company as last one (i.e. previous Turn)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
Luigi wrote:
But how do you remember who controlled the company as last one (i.e. previous Turn)?

The previous = the one that has just finished.

And yes, I do remember or in fact I do not have to - he's the one who holds the company ownership marker (wooden steam engine, isn't it?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luigi Pasato
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I ask my question in a bad way.

The following is an example. It's a 3 player game, Turn 5:

At the end of Phase five: End of turn the situation for the Green Company is:

Player A: 2 shares
Player B: 2 shares
Player C: 0 shares

During the Phase two: Auction control markers of Turn 5, nobody bids for the green Company so nobody controls that Company during the entire turn!

EDIT: Fifth (and last) green share is not assigned to any player; it remains in the green company box.

For determinig who controls that Company in Phase six: Final profit determination, Player A and Player B are tie, but nobody controls that Company...

So my original question: how do you determine who controls a company in the case of a tie but nobody controls this company?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll have to look at the rules to be sure, but from what I remember someone would still have control of the company; you don't lose control until someone exceeds your share number. I think, therefore, that once a company is in play it will always have a controller.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luigi Pasato
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snoozefest wrote:
I'll have to look at the rules to be sure, but from what I remember someone would still have control of the company; you don't lose control until someone exceeds your share number. I think, therefore, that once a company is in play it will always have a controller.

I have look the rules for you. laugh

You don't control a company when you have more shares. You control a company when you win the auction (take the company marker and one share of the company color), and you control that company only for the current turn (of course you can win the auction and control the same company in later rounds). In phase five you give back the control marker in the company box.

Who win the auction for a company from Turn 1 to Turn 4, controls that company until Phase 5 of the corresponding turn.

Who win the auction for a company in Turn 5, controls that company until Phase 6 of that turn.

But again, if nobody wins the auction for a company in Turn 5, nobody controls that company in that turn, so it doesn't build any track and doesn't take any profit. But somebody have to control that company in Phase 6 because you have to determine the final values of each company’s shares. shake

Edit: for some spelling corrections

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
It would be very unwise for the players to leave one or more companies uncontrolled.

Nonetheless, to answer your question: I believe the term 'last player' is then extrapolated onto the turn before; or turn before, should that company had been left uncontrolled more than one turn (unwise, as I said).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luigi Pasato
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lukasz, you will be happy to know that I asked the question to Martin Wallace and he said the same as your interpretation, that is:

"In the unlikely situation you have described I would go clockwise from the last player to control that company."

So it is pretty clear now!

And how do you remember who is the last player to control that company? Well, after all it is quite simple: you give a track link piece of the correct color to the last player to control that company!

Thank you all for the kind replies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.