Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Art Bugorski
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our D&D DM was getting a little rundown so I started looking for a game our group would approve in the interim as a break. I had heard of Memoir '44 before, and decided to give it a chance.

The first time I played was after joking about bring it to a Euro-game night... and being asked to! After our main game of Alhambra, I brought this out. Having never played this before, only having skimmed through the rules and watched the YouTube video twice I was able to *TEACH* this game during *MY* first play through. Took about one hour and half (30min to setup and 1 hour to play one side) and I think we messed up some rules regarding barbwire but the game went relatively quickly, enjoyably, and with surprisingly little confusion. I think Alhambra (a game my S.O. and I play regularily) posed more of a problem to teach!

Played the next night with my S.O. again, after leaving me to setup the board (20min), we played again. This time there was no confusion.

Brought this game out the night after. Played with another player before the rest showed up. Setup this time went quickly (10min) and I felt confident in explaining all the rules. No additionaly explanation was needed for him except that he asked to see the terrain summary cards a couple of times! While we were playing, two more of our regulars showed up and traded Magic cards. Hours later, after our D&D session finished, I introduced the game to one of those two. I started explaining how the game worked, but he cut me off saying that he had seen and overheard enough to give it a go!

The setup was really quick, and the action fast & furious! Definitely a hit!

I guess my purpose of writing this post was to show how quickly you can introduce this game to a group of people. If you want to bring a war game into the mix but are worried you'll face resistance from people, you need not worry, Memoir '44 only takes an hour at most, and much less if you are familiar with the games itself!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
If you decide to keep going with the idea. overlord games fit 2 to 8 people and are incredibly fun as each side works together to beat the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Bugorski
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that is what we are working upto. I bought the Ovperation Overlord expansion NOT REALISING IT DOES NOT CONTAIN AN OVERLORD SCENARIO!!!angry Which was quite disappointing.

I'm also a little worried that the players who aren't playing the Commander-in-Chief will feel their hands are tied.shake I guess we'll see.

I couldn't find any other war game that supported multi-player though (ignoring Battlelore&Ancients of course). Is there anyone like that out there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope their hands arent tied at all. Its actually pretty good unless you get stuck in a barren section, which most OL games arent set up that way. Sorry to hear about the lack of extra board. Its a common mistake, but the pack is such a good deal. I love the cards, they work out perfect for newbies cause all they do is look at the cards and its all build in. Depends on the people that you play with but its always nice to put the new player in the action, and the more experienced player can help.
The good news is the extra boards arent that expensive. Bad news is I dont think they sell the green ones, just desert and snow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rasmussen
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AngryStarAnarchy wrote:
Yeah, that is what we are working upto. I bought the Ovperation Overlord expansion NOT REALISING IT DOES NOT CONTAIN AN OVERLORD SCENARIO!!!angry Which was quite disappointing.

Operation Overlord was designed to go with the Battle Maps (the pre-printed Overlord maps like Hedgerow Hell). The maps are a good deal, especially if you play the battles several times. Personally, I enjoy playing battles more than once because then I can try out different strategies!

The other fun thing about the Battle Maps is they introduce fun new units or cards that spice up the game. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be nice to have the game at least come with a paper empty terrain battlemap. But I agree that all the preprinted battlemaps are great fun. It's nice not having to set up all the terrain too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judit Szepessy
Canada
London
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
my purpose of writing this post was to show how quickly you can introduce this game to a group of people.

Having read your SR prompted me to give this game a try today with my family for the first time. I had read a review on it earlier and this afternoon I sat down with the boys and skimmed through the rulebook. As we were playing we checked certain details and we did fine and had fun.

We are looking forward to getting to know the cards better and playing more scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Bugorski
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
judoka wrote:
Quote:
my purpose of writing this post was to show how quickly you can introduce this game to a group of people.

Having read your SR prompted me to give this game a try today with my family for the first time. I had read a review on it earlier and this afternoon I sat down with the boys and skimmed through the rulebook. As we were playing we checked certain details and we did fine and had fun.

We are looking forward to getting to know the cards better and playing more scenarios.

Wow, my first post on the Geek and I've already effected one gamer's gaming. Pretty awesome.

rasmussen81 wrote:
Operation Overlord was designed to go with the Battle Maps (the pre-printed Overlord maps like Hedgerow Hell). The maps are a good deal, especially if you play the battles several times. Personally, I enjoy playing battles more than once because then I can try out different strategies!

I know, but I just wish that it came either with a printout of the Overlord scenario included in the game rules or a blank foldout paper board. Now I am in the silly situation of having the Overlord expansion and still not able to play a single overlord match.blush I need to spend another ~$30 before I can actually use it. Unfortunately, the closest reasonably priced game store is over and hour away and our LGS is definitely not F. I'm definitely a little disappointed. I think the box should have been clearer.shake I can't actually use it for anything and for the same price I could've got the Eastern Front.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.