Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my most recent game (as S) my opponent sent Strider to Pelargir by the Paths of the Dead, crowned him, then separated him from his new troops and sent him to settle in solitude in Near Harad.

This was not a military threat - there were no nearby Free units - but an attempt to ensure the safety of Aragorn and his extra die. This seems extreme to me, but I am curious as to whether this is a common strategy and the view of the denizens of the forum on the strategy.

Your thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'd rather use his ability/leadership and risk the die under normal circumstances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
It depends.
His die is worthless when you're on the last turn of the game, only his battle abilities matter. His die is almost priceless early on when it will be rolled many times. As shadow, I will sometimes happily grind down a die-generating companion's army for the kill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fling
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrWeasely stated it perfect. You are gauranteed to have your extra die the whole game if he is never with a free army. However, if you isolate him you are waisting his leadership, captain of the west ability and the ability to play numerous more combat cards. I personally like to stick him with a large army and threaten some Shadow Strongholds. Or you could always just leave him in the fellowship and get that sucker moving a bit faster!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second what they said.

You can always start to hum the Brave, Brave Sir Robin song by Monty Python...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZwuTo7zKM8 (starting around 1 min.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.