Popular Tags: [View All]
Jose Augusto Moreira
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never see it before, but i has my session reports in portuguese rejected..and the inly reason is the moderator requesting my sessions write in English. Why it now???

BGG has a lot of Brazilian and portuguese users

Thanks
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Augusto Moreira
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Subject: User Submission Declined
We're sorry, but your recent article was not awarded any geekgold, and has not been posted to the forum:
Como acabar com a coalizão - in portuguese for Friedrich
Comments from users that moderated this article:
que?
english please

Note: if you receive any offensive or highly inappropriate comments, please contact a BGG admin.

Here is the text of your original article:

Subject: Como acabar com a coalizão - in portuguese
No começo de maio tive a chance de jogar minha primeira partida de friedrich, desconhecendo completamente as regras e nao familiarizado com as regras e estrategias acabei sendo parcialmente responsavel pela vitória prussiana.

A Austria inicia o jogo com uma paridade em tropas com a prussia, mas recebe menos cartas...foi o descuido com as cartas e alguns erros de estar tão acostumado com wargames que resultaram na minha derrota nesse jogo.

Primeiramente nao prestei atenção na aproximação cuidadosa realizada por frança e Russia contra a Prussia e rapidamente avancei minhas tropas, lutando contra o prussiano e deixando ele refazer sua mão. Estes ataques devastaram os exercitos Austriacos no 3 primeiros turnos.

Outro erro, foi na atacar juntamente com os aliados obrigando o Prussiano a usar os mesmos naipes...desgastando sua mão.

Ao final do jogo, a Austria havia reiniciado seu ataque a o Exercito Imperial tomado muito de seus objetivos, mas a vitoria ainda assim foi Prussiana por retomar objetivos chaves Russos e colocar o avanço de seus exercitos em xeque.

Sincerely,
The BoardGameGeek Community
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
The comment asking it be in English came from just one person who rejected it. The others might have rejected it for it's rather short length.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Augusto Moreira
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is other problem....already see a lot of very short sessions in BGG..
a example:

WaW session

RftG session - really short
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hiruko the goblin
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless a moderator speaks Portuguese it might be hard for them to judge the session report?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
I'll go through the geekmod history and contact any users who declined due to language to let them know to skip such articles in the future.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tetsuo13 wrote:
Unless a moderator speaks Portuguese it might be hard for them to judge the session report?

You can skip session reports & reviews that you can't properly judge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
iklinck wrote:
tetsuo13 wrote:

You can skip session reports & reviews that you can't properly judge.

Not only "can", but "should".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Portugal
Lagos
Algarve
flag msg tools
I've been offline from BGG for the last couple of weeks, but I'll be back very soon!
badge
I'm that weirdo that keeps track of how many badges Kaffedrake has sold prior to yesterday
mb
jaugusto72 wrote:
BGG has a lot of Brazilian and portuguese users
Yes, it does

Apparently only one moderator (obviously incorrectly) declined it due to its language.

mrbeankc wrote:
The comment asking it be in English came from just one person who rejected it. The others might have rejected it for it's rather short length.

I'd just like to make a few comments on the session report itself, which I believed was correctly declined:
- It is in fact very short.
- It has a quite a few grammatical/syntactic mistakes for its short size, and isn't particularly well written. (*)
- It doesn't say much (not exactly the same as being short). I'm not a session report expert by any degree or measure, nor have I ever played the game, but after reading it, and being completely honest, I didn't see much of a point in its existence.

José, don't take it the wrong way - I applaud your initiative and the work you put into it - but IMHO the session report needs more content and a revision. I know there are a lot of short and uninteresting (quite subjective, of course) session reports out there, but that isn't a reason to add more That's my opinion anyway, which (naturally) might be completely wrong Having said that, I do appreciate the time you put into it (it's always nice seeing things in Portuguese once in a while); I just think you have to put a little more care into it.

Btw, I get the feeling that session reports written in languages other than English are usually accepted/declined based on their length and other such matters (i.e., not based on their content), as some people won't skip reports they can't read. My gut feeling tells me this is probably more of an advantage than a disadvantage for approval of non English reports... maybe BGG could allow users to specify which languages they knew and only allow them to mod session reports, reviews and whatnot written in those languages?

Here is a very (very!) rough translation (I just ran it through Babelfish and corrected some parts of it) of the session report, but it should be enough for people to make up their own mind:
Quote:
In the beginning of May I had the possibility to play my first game of Friedrich, being completely unaware of the rules and not familiar with the rules and strategies I ended up being partially responsible for the Prussian victory.
Austria starts the game with parity in troops with Prussia, but it receives fewer cards... it was the flimsiness with the cards and some errors due to be accustomed wargames that had resulted in my defeat in this game.
First I did not give attention in the careful approach carried through by France and Russia against Prussia and I quickly advanced my troops, fighting against the Prussians and letting him remake his hand.
These attacks devastated the Austrian armies in the 3 first turns.
Another mistake was in attacking together with the allies compelling the Prussians to use the same suits... consuming its hand.
At the end of the game, Austria had restarted its attack towards the Imperial Army getting many of its objectives, but victory was still Prussian for retaking key Russian objectives and placing the advance of its armies in check.

Edit: (*) This might have been written too harshly... I'm no Camões or Machado de Assis myself, far from it, and most geeks around here aren't either, I just think the text really needs a revision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Soledade
Portugal
Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
WYG Developer
badge
mb
I agree with you João. The session report was well refused but for the wrong reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Augusto Moreira
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bail Organa wrote:

- It is in fact very short.
- It has a quite a few grammatical/syntactic mistakes for its short size, and isn't particularly well written. (*)
- It doesn't say much (not exactly the same as being short). I'm not a session report expert by any degree or measure, nor have I ever played the game, but after reading it, and being completely honest, I didn't see much of a point in its existence.

it is acceptable reason for decline...not for to be in a foreign language

Bail Organa wrote:
José, don't take it the wrong way - I applaud your initiative and the work you put into it - but IMHO the session report needs more content and a revision. I know there are a lot of short and uninteresting (quite subjective, of course) session reports out there, but that isn't a reason to add more That's my opinion anyway, which (naturally) might be completely wrong Having said that, I do appreciate the time you put into it (it's always nice seeing things in Portuguese once in a while); I just think you have to put a little more care into it.

thanks for the help....i accept all your suggestions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Soledade
Portugal
Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
WYG Developer
badge
mb
But I've seen not better English written session reports that weren't declined in the first place so...

José, keep them coming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As an English BGG user, I am disappointed to learn that non-English-speakers are having to endure this kind of ignorance on BGG. Boardgames cross borders and cultures. Many games are completely language independent. I've always loved that feature of our hobby.

I hope you'll re-submit and give the Admins an opportunity to intervene, if necessary, so the valuable and diverse content on OUR site can continue to grow.

(Edit: I'm referring to the fact that at least one declining moderator cited the language as the reason. I suspect this isn't the first time that's happened.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Augusto Moreira
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last session report in a foreign language i can find has the date apr, 3

el grande (SPANISH)

And i remember see more sessions in other languages in past (germa, russian, spanish)

why it can be so rare now..can Mods stop the submission of non english threads
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I think Arizona was working the geek mods the day it was submitted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
Would it have killed the mod to email Jose and ask "I don't speak Portugese, could you send me a translation?" No harm in asking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
berserkley wrote:
Would it have killed the mod to email Jose and ask "I don't speak Portugese, could you send me a translation?" No harm in asking.

Or just run it through Google translate. I know that's not perfect, but asking Jose (or anyone else) to have to basically write their session report twice doesn't seem right either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have said, it might have been a bit short, Jose. Though (despite my "thumbs down"), some short ones still get thru. But the other-than-English language, fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IrishFire Herself
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is slightly tangent-to-topic, but given how much of our hobby is German-centric, I was mildly surprised that there's no BoardGameGeek.de. If someone asked me where I thought the site was going in ten years, I'd point out the obvious additions (the new video game geek stuff), then guess that as the website expanded it may go truly international in scope. I'm speaking of the website itself, of course--the users are already a clearly international bunch.

That said, I'm not one to pop in and say "The site should" or "The site needs to . . . " because I, for one, am not donating my meager language and web design skills to the cause.

I'm glad to learn English is not a requirement for session reports. Yay, BGG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Now, I'm all for guilds for international users (like the BoardGame Greek guild). They carry on with their merry little conversations in another language. Works out well. And there's the fella who writes Russian reviews for the dozen or so (I'm kidding) other Russian speakers here.

But I do have to say that if a person is bi- or multi-lingual I don't understand why they'd narrow the audience to the other language when they'd get more readers by writing the review in English.

Now, this is way beyond a single Portuguese session report (or was it a review? I have no idea because it just said some foreign language gibberish in the title). But at work once, I got an accidental e-mail which went to everyone and not just to our associates in our Pakistan plant. It was written in some foreign language with a bunch of backwards letters. Everyone else who got it in error just deleted it. I Google translated it and it was a bunch of stuff about killing a million infidels in the name of Allah.

Now, that's probably not the intent here. But when we have foreign language discourse going on, there is no way for the English-language owners and operators of this site to know just what is being said in these texts, is there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Augusto Moreira
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, i am a terrorist in Brazil using BGG for send orders for other terrorists in New York.

Best post of the year in BGG. Congratulations for
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not saying you or anyone here is a terrorist. In fact, most of that post was tongue in cheek (except for the real story about work). I'm just pointing out that someone, maybe someone not very familiar with BGG and modding, came along, saw a foreign language, and just responded with "English please." It's possible that they just figured everyone would want to read it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Augusto Moreira
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
excuse me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
jaugusto72 wrote:
excuse me
Excuse what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Augusto Moreira
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
excuse me for what i said in my post about i be a terrorist

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.