Manuel Pasi
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
Ka Mate Ka Mate
badge
Ka Ora Ka Ora
mbmbmbmbmb
Note: This game has been designed by BGG user Kerbster76 and is currently in the testplay phase and therefor still evolving. The review is based on the version 1.1. In the Files section you can already download the components 1.2 (as far as I understand gameplay is unchanged)

Overview: It‘s summer, the store windows are filled with temptations, but unfortunately our pockets are filled with nothing but dust. What‘s a poor kid to do?
Easy: Get some empty cardboard boxes, buy some lemons & cups and open your very own lemonade stall to sell off the refreshing drink to innocent bypassers. Unfortunately, the kid next door had just the same idea...

In Lemonade Stall we are those kids, trying to sell our lemonades better than anyone else and be the richest kid on the block once the week is over.

Components:
This is a P‘n‘P prototype, so one can and should not bitch about/judge components.
Most of what you need for the game you can find in the files section right here on BGG.
Each player gets his Player Aid, his Selling Price cards (a set ranging from $3-9) and his Lemonade Stall board (the latter depicts the 4 supplies Cups, Sugar, Lemons, Ice).
Then there‘s a turn tracker, a Start Player token, different charts (maximum sales/weather change charts etc) , a bunch of Event cards, 5-6 benefit cards and some Weather Condition/Temperature chits.
You also need some way to track money, get some neutral supply counters and a d12 (or 2 d6 if you don‘t have the former).

Right now most components are functional (though there is room for improvement) but quite uncool, BUT (and this is a very important thing) there is loads of potential for very cool and great looking components in this game! So I am confident that this will evolve into something very neat indeed.

Theme: I love the theme! It‘s engaging, it‘s fresh, it makes you wanna play. So far the theme has not implemented as well as it could be, but with some shiny new components and nice graphics (see above) that might get better. Still, this is one of my bigger gripes, that the game feels a bit too dry and mathy for the theme.

Gameplay: The game is divided into 7 days (turns), during which players go through 10 ultraquick steps There are some minor rules I won‘t go into, but basically they are as follows:

- Weather Forecast ( Roll d12 and check Wheather forecast chart)

- Choose a Benefit Cards (these will grant you such nice things as event immunity, higher income, cheaper prices when shopping for supplies etc.)

- Place a neutral Supply Token on every card not chosen this round (they will stay on that card until it is chosen, at that point whoever chooses the card will get any supply token on it)

- The top Event card is revealed and its effect read out (effects can take place right away or have a longlasting effect)

- Player buy supplies, getting better prices if they buy a specific supply in packs of ten. To keep track of the supplies, the neutral Supply Tokens are placed underneath the appropriate picture on the Lemonade Stall boards.

- Players set and reveal simultaneously their selling price for this round (each player selects one of the Selling Price cards)

- Check to see if the Weather Forecast was correct (Roll d12, check if there‘s a roll modifier and then check the Weather change chart)

-Sell Lemonades: depending on the Weather there is a maximum number of cups that can be sold that round; starting with the player who is willing to sell his merchandise at the cheapest price each player sells as many cups of Lemonade (each cup is made out of 1 Lemon, 1 serving of ice, 1 sugar cube and one cup) as they can until that max number is reached (that number is added up for all players, not individually)

- The remaining ice melts and lemons can spoil (roll d12 and check spoilage chart; the hotter it is the faster they spoil). If you chose the Fridge benefit card this round you get to keep all your supplies

-Start Player token is passed along
start next round

So how does it play?: As I stated above those rounds zip by very quickly, but there are three important decisions to be made in every round; which benefit to choose, how much supplies to buy and at which price to sell the lemonade. Major mistakes have to be avoided at all costs, otherwise the complete round may be wasted and result in a deficit too big to overcome.
Since all information is open, it is extremely important not to make it too obvious what plans one has; otherwise it‘s too easy for opponents to cross them. This introduces a nice bluff element to the game.
As you can probably tell, this game is highly competitive, unforgiving at times and somewhat mathy. AP could be a bit of a problem, but since all mechanisms are quite intuitive it shouldn‘t be too bad.

So everything hankydory then?: Well, unfortunately not quite.

Lemonade Stall is basically an economic simulation of cutthroat capitalism. If there is a chance of screwing over you opponent, you better take it!
The theme itself promises more of a summer fun game, which it is by no means, but more imprtantly, to be able to plan ahead, you have to constantly check charts, crossreference charts, recheck them and then check them again. This at times can feel a bit like work and not that much fun.
Again better components and a clearer layout of the different boards might help a lot in that aspect.

A more fundamental and therefor potentially graver problem is the fact, that there isn‘t a big enough award for selling more lemonades than your opponents. What I mean by this is that at the moment, if your strategy is based on outselling your opponents, you have to spend way more for supplies, take a lot more risks but in the end even if all this pans out you just won‘t make that much more profit (since you can only sell more if you have a lower price; eg. if you sell 5 lemonades at $3 and your opponent 2 at $7 you had to buy a lot more supplies and in the end only end up with $1 more income).
On the one hand this just isn‘t very thematically sound, since lemonades are quite clearly not a luxury product, so selling a lot, should in my book be a very viable strategy. On the other hand, this could in the long run eliminate players from exploring multiple ways to victory.
Mind you, this doesn‘t mean this game‘s broken, in fact, there are plenty of published games which have similar problems, but it has to be adressed in order to make the game work in the long run.

Scalability: It scales nicely; strategy and tactical play just have to be adjusted. However in a 2p game, setting selling prices tends to be somewhat more transparent, which often boils down to just picking extreme prices.

Luck Factor: There is some luck involved. Be it from an event card helping/hurting one player more at that specific point or the roll of the die. But since you can calculate odds really easily and usually have enough time to react to an event, the LF is not all that high.

Conclusion: Definitely a promising game, that I hope will have some of it weaknesses eliminated and be published professionally somewhere down the line.
While not overly complex, it offers some nice depth, tough decisions and should stay challenging with repeated plays.
I definitely urge you to print it out and give it a go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K
Australia
Colonel Light Gardens
SA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PasiMax wrote:

So everything hankydory then?: Well, unfortunately not quite.

Lemonade Stall is basically an economic simulation of cutthroat capitalism. If there is a chance of screwing over you opponent, you better take it!
The theme itself promises more of a summer fun game, which it is by no means, but more imprtantly, to be able to plan ahead, you have to constantly check charts, crossreference charts, recheck them and then check them again. This at times can feel a bit like work and not that much fun.
Again better components and a clearer layout of the different boards might help a lot in that aspect.

A more fundamental and therefor potentially graver problem is the fact, that there isn‘t a big enough award for selling more lemonades than your opponents. What I mean by this is that at the moment, if your strategy is based on outselling your opponents, you have to spend way more for supplies, take a lot more risks but in the end even if all this pans out you just won‘t make that much more profit (since you can only sell more if you have a lower price; eg. if you sell 5 lemonades at $3 and your opponent 2 at $7 you had to buy a lot more supplies and in the end only end up with $1 more income).
On the one hand this just isn‘t very thematically sound, since lemonades are quite clearly not a luxury product, so selling a lot, should in my book be a very viable strategy. On the other hand, this could in the long run eliminate players from exploring multiple ways to victory.
Mind you, this doesn‘t mean this game‘s broken, in fact, there are plenty of published games which have similar problems, but it has to be adressed in order to make the game work in the long run.

Thanks for taking the time to print out and play and review Lemonade Stall!.

I agree that the game is somewhat mathy for the theme but the original intent of the computer game that the game is based on was to teach maths to young kids in a fun way. Obviously in the computer game a lot of the supply and demand calculations were all built into the computer coding but as a board game it doesn't have that luxury. I've tried to make it as painless as possible.

I disagree that selling the most cups is the main objective. If I was a kid selling lemonade the most important thing for me would be how much money I had at the end of the week regardless of how many cups I had sold. I think that the game does a good simulation of each player trying to make as much money as possible but being hampered by the competition of their competitors and the fact that there is only so much lemonade that can collectively be sold each day.

Thanks for some of the useful rules suggestiongs that you gave me (via a geekmail). I definitely think that they will be incorporated into the next version of the game! I'm also working away at improving the game graphics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K
Australia
Colonel Light Gardens
SA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kerbster76 wrote:
Thanks for some of the useful rules suggestiongs that you gave me (via a geekmail). I definitely think that they will be incorporated into the next version of the game! I'm also working away at improving the game graphics.

I have included some of your rules suggestions into version 1.2 of the game which can now be downloaded from the files section. The graphics have been improved for the benefit and event cards.

A detiled description of the changes can be found by clicking on Version 1.2 of the game in the files section of the game home page and reading the file description information.

Hopefully people will enjoy the new version!

December 2012 - version 1.4 is now available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.