badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
My question is:

On your turn is it compulsory to
1. draw a card
2. take two actions

or can you elect not to?

My reading of the rules is these are both compulsory.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Bracegirdle
United Kingdom
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree with you, it is compulsory to draw and then use 2 actions. The only time a player would take anything other than two actions is when they are compelled (or given the option) to do otherwise by a card effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marvin
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to take a card, you don't have to use both actions. Though I can't imagine why one would do the latter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you sure the actions are optional? My rule sheet just says "You have 2 actions".

I'm thinking of the situation where you might be forced to draw your last card, and thereby lose the game. You might not have any other actions you can take.

If you pass on your second action, maybe your opponent might be forced to draw HIS last card!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Bracegirdle
United Kingdom
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I stand corrected. I just found this in the Q&A on Pojo's Harry Potter site. Here is the link to this very useful resource. http://www.pojo.com/harrypotter/ccg/rulings.shtml#1

Q: Do I have to use all of my Actions each turn? (Base-FAQ from WB.com)
A: No. You can use all, some, or none of your Actions. However, once your turn is over, those Actions are gone. For example, if you used only 1 Action on your last turn, you can't use the second Action from that turn on your next turn. (Base-FAQ from WB.com)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Fall
Sweden
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is also in the FAQ of the Advanced Rules:

Q: I have 2 Actions every turn. Do I have to use both of them?
A: No. You can use both, or just one, or none at all if you want. It´s usually smart to use all your Actions, though. You can´t save Actions for a later turn.

I´d say that this is perhaps the only case where the rules are unclear. In HP, the rules and cards are pretty straightforward. If a card says "Draw a card" it does not mean "You may draw a card". I can see why the line "You use 2 Actions" causes some confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Thanks for your help.

I notice that the rule sheet says, "Draw a card ... do this every turn." which is pretty emphatic. So it's good to know that the actions are optional.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EuroHobbes wrote:
You have to take a card, you don't have to use both actions. Though I can't imagine why one would do the latter.

Skipping actions usually only happens at the end of the game. If you know you can finish off your opponent next turn with your creatures, and you're low on cards, it makes sense to skip an action instead of drawing a card. I've played many games where somebody won with one or two cards left in their draw pile.

Also, if you're playing against Neville Longbottom, and you already have creatures in playing doing 8 damage per turn, it's better to conserve cards rather than drawing extra cards that can't hurt him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.