War of the Ring Collector's Edition» Forums » General

Subject: In appreciation of the painting rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I got my collector's edition I was very pleased with the painting. As I haven't tried any painting for some time I thought why not paint all the extras required for the expansion games and then use the CE ones with the bare minimum required. This looks like about 40 miniatures to do, which seems achievable.

So I have started and tried to match the same models where required (more rohan riders etc) with the CE version. Wow, is it tough! I have so much more respect for the quality of the painting. For me to get close (and probably still be worse) to their standard I will be spending at least an hour per model. Admittedly I am no expert, but the standard is very high considering how many were needed.

As a side note can anyone recommend something to hold and protect them when finished?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always been of the camp that even some paint is better than no paint since the plain blobs of plastic look so hideous.

Doing as good a job as you can will be rewarding of course - and it only has to be done once - but even if you can take the time to do a just a fair to good job it will look sooooo _much_ better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you painted one figure at a time, there is no way it would take you an hour per figure. In order to avoid constantly brush cleaning, you paint one set of figures at a time, the orcs, the elephants the nazgul etc. You blitz one colour for all and then move onto the next. By adopting this mass production approach you can do a detaled figure in 20 minutes. The Ents that just need a base coat some ink wash and a light dry brush take no time at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No I'm not painting one figure at a time and the one hour per figure is just an estimate as all I've done so far is just a few colours on about 10 models. However, that took some time to do well and I think once I am trying to do the last more detailed finishes then I will be going even slower.

Yes, the Ents probably don't need much painting, but there is only 1 Ent to do Treebeard.

I am not a very fast painter but I would like to know how much time people spend per figure approximately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I painted the base game figures in 80 hours, c 20 mins per figure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
I live in the city of Gulf, on the shores of Lake Water. This fun fact has nothing to do with this badge you're pointing at.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm the slowest painter in the world. Even if I make them in batches I've so far spent many WEEKS painting 8 little Vipers for Battlestar Galactica. Don't ask how it's possible, I have no idea.

But

At least they will look good when finished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.