Popular Tags: [View All]
Isaac Milton
United States
Reading
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had seen Summoner Wars mentioned around the "Geek" for awhile now, but paid it now attention. When I found out is was designed by Colby Dauch, I became interested. I got into Heroscape 2-3 years ago, and spent a lot of time at Heroscapers (Colby's website) and listening to his podcast. After watching glowing reviews from Tom Vasel, Downtime Town, Paul Springer, and Board to Death, I'm dying to give the game a shot.

Now to the question: Which of the two starter sets should I buy first?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Thompson
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
That's tough for me, as my favorite factions to play are the Phoenix Elves and Guild Dwarves which come from opposing stater packs. If you can afford it I'd say both, They're both fun, inexpensive, and with the four combined (plus the new factions coming out) there is a ton of replayability.

Maybe if I had to choose one, I'd choose the Dwarf/Goblin starter pack, only because I think the Goblins have more interesting options than the Orcs. However, Phoenix Elves are possibly my favorite faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They're both great, but I'd go with Elves and Orcs. Their distinctions are more apparent and they're both more extreme in terms of how much they stretch the system in different directions. Goblins and Dwarves are more subtle and might be easier to appreciate once you have a handle on the overall game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick W
Canada
North Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had more fun with the Dwarves vs Goblins match-up my first couple of games. The games were tense, and momentum swung back and forth.

The Elves vs Orcs set was good too, but the games weren't quite as close. I had trouble getting a plan going with the Orcs against the Elves. I'm sure it's possible, I just couldn't figure it out in the first 3 games.

Still, I'm happy that I picked up both sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably Elves and Orcs - they are a bit less "gimmicky" than Dwarves and Goblins (if that sounds like a put-down, it is absolutely not meant to be).

I have to say, you may not want o put too much thought into this. Once you play 2-3 games, you will end up buying the other starter.

No, really, you will. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick W
Canada
North Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya I agree. Each faction is different enough that it's worth it to get both. Plus, one set only gives you one match-up, but with both you have six to try out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cabral
United States
Bristol
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Plaid Hat Games website explains how each faction plays. It also shows each card for all 4 factions. Pick the pair you think you'll enjoy the most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't go wrong. Just pick one based on your taste in fantasy factions and playstyle:

Orcs: Aggressive and luck based.
Dwarves: Strong, defensive, reward planning
Goblins: Swarm army with many tricks
Phoenix Elves: Many auto-damage attacks. Fragile but potent
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're going to get one, you should get both. You'll save on shipping in the long run.

Also, having both sets allows you to do team games, and gives you six different 1-1 match-ups, instead of just one.

If I had to pick one, I'd probably go with the PE/TO set, because I like the Tundra Orcs. Superficially, the card backs are also easier to quickly differentiate after a game. Jerry's advice is good though. Go with what you think looks like you'd be most interested in, or what you think will get whoever you want to play it with most excited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stop kidding yourself and get both
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.