Tyler Reed
United States
Batavia
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am trying to help get my friend more into board gaming. He is a huge Star Wars fan, and the Sci-Fi genre as a whole. I played Ticket to ride and Acquire with him and he liked the no-luck aspect, alot. But he still likes the War themes. So, I ask is there a euro-style sci-fi wargame? Or something that has a lot of planning?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Coeur D'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride has no luck aspect?

Someone is going to mention Nexus Ops, and I would agree with them. I would even throw in Risk 2210 A.D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Reed
United States
Batavia
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, sorry. He doesn't like getting screwed over by dice. In Ticket to Ride, even if you draw a bad card, there is still a lot you can do with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like your friend might enjoy Galaxy Trucker.

You build your star truck from randomly (and rapidly) drawn tiles, then fly it through space, dodging asteroids, pirates, and other baddies, while your ship gets torn apart. The one who is able to arrive home first, and survive with their ship most intact, wins. A great game, and no dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Miller
United States
Sioux City
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sneezypanda wrote:
Ok, sorry. He doesn't like getting screwed over by dice. In Ticket to Ride, even if you draw a bad card, there is still a lot you can do with it.

Seems to me there is only a lot to do with bad cards you draw early.
Bad cards you draw late are terrible luck indeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Corn
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
mbmbmbmbmb
dogzard wrote:
Sounds like your friend might enjoy Galaxy Trucker.

You build your star truck from randomly (and rapidly) drawn tiles, then fly it through space, dodging asteroids, pirates, and other baddies, while your ship gets torn apart. The one who is able to arrive home first, and survive with their ship most intact, wins. A great game, and no dice.

There are dice to determine which row/column gets targeted, but I'd second this recommendation. Great game, lots of sci-fi stuff, tons of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Johnston
United States
North Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Encounter has more of a social angle, the cards make it a bit "lucky." But it's closer to a euro than FF's big box games.

I'm also a big fan of Space Dealer and Space Alert, although they're less war based and can get very frantic rather than "planned."

Mission: Red Planet is very euro, but the theme is a bit more steampunky than sci-fi. Again, also not a heavy war theme.

I'm surprised no-one else mentioned Race for the Galaxy yet, but I suppose the cards can get "unlucky."

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Daniels
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you can grab 4 other friends, there is rarely anything finer than Dune to whittle away a gaming evening.

Also, Horus Heresy (2010) just came out, 2-player exclusive and tons of strategic decisions. Granted, it's a bit of a beast both in gameplay weight and box weight.

How about Race for the Galaxy?

There's also Neuroshima Hex! which is a fantastic 2-player tactical sci-fi game.

And finally, while it's NOT sci-fi based (fantasy/myth based) and it does have dice, I'd recommend Titan as a hugely strategic & tactical 2-player game (I actually like this game best as a 2-player game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tazar Yoot
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played it but I really want to. I don't know if it really fits the bill other than being sci fi. Battlestar Galactica the board game seems worth mentioning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hodkinson
Canada
Owen Sound
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
兵者,詭道也。
badge
mbmb
So, sneezy panda, how much money have you and your friend got? It used to cost about $50 but it's out-of-print for now and presently is sold in the neighbourhood of $200. Still, true Star Wars fans might have to break down and some day buy

Until that time, my recommendations are Race for the Galaxy (cheap)

and Neuroshima Hex. However, if you can scare up another player, Cosmic Encounter would be good and if you get a gang over, Battlestar Galactica or Android may be your Sci Fi ticket.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Galactic Emperor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff P
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy shares a lot with the Star Wars Universe and it is cheap and a very good game. If you want to be able to attack each other you should pick up the Rebel Vs. Imperium deck as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
So you want a sci fi theme, with combat but low luck and low randomness. Correct?

This may be hard to find. Most combat games have dice or some random element. You could show your friend some of the better games, and ask if he's willing to accept some randomness to play them.

The following list has lots of good sci fi, but they may not meet your criteria. Still, a place to start.
Best Sci-Fi game (VOTE)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
sneezypanda wrote:

Race for the Galaxy might work, then. As a card game, there is luck of the draw. However, you can use cards you don't want as "money" to do other things. The later expansions add more conflict I believe, but I haven't played them.

Strong sci fi theme. I love this game for that reason. I don't agree, however, that this game feels much like Star Wars specifically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Star Wars: The Queen's Gambit is the "grail game" here - if you could ever get him past the random dice factor. Also, super expensive because out of print.

But oh man lots of Star Wars "Ameritrash" gaming goodness here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Artoos
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Not really a war game, but you could take a look at Ad Astra.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destiny's got her hand way, way up in their puppets! It's an unpleasant tingling! The deepest of wriggles!
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
But my greatest power is this: When Destiny speaks, she speaks to me. She says hi, by the way.
badge
Oh! And I've been killing the bees!
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy is a Euro with a space (but not war) theme.

If your friend can lighten up a bit about the dice, Nexus Ops is perfect--light, war themed, lots of planning.

Star Wars: The Queen's Gambit is 99% luck. I think it's a great game, but it is the opposite of low-luck and Euro-like. Plus it's ridiculously expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking for a Euro type Sci Fi Game, my first suggestion would be Race for the Galaxy as suggested by many above.

Ad Astra is also somewhat good, it's more like Settlers of Catan in Space with no dice.

Galaxy Trucker is loved by my entire family, and though I don't know much about Space Dealer I hear it's also a good space game.

Galactic Emperor, Nexus Ops, and Risk 2210, Queen's Gambit are ALL games which use dice in conflicts and have direct conflict, much more like AT games than Euros, I would imagine they are exactly the opposite of what you are looking for from your description.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Corn
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
mbmbmbmbmb
sneezypanda wrote:
I am trying to help get my friend more into board gaming. He is a huge Star Wars fan, and the Sci-Fi genre as a whole. I played Ticket to ride and Acquire with him and he liked the no-luck aspect, alot. But he still likes the War themes. So, I ask is there a euro-style sci-fi wargame? Or something that has a lot of planning?

What are the negatives about Twilight Imperium and Starcraft that rule them out? That might help guide the alternate suggestions if we know why those two are excluded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
badge
A foolproof method for sculpting an elephant: first, get a huge block of marble, then you chip away everything that doesn't look like an elephant.
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy for a non gamer? As much as I like the game, the learning curve is horrid. I would never introduce someone to the hobby with that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff P
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tesuji wrote:

Race for the Galaxy might work, then. As a card game, there is luck of the draw. However, you can use cards you don't want as "money" to do other things. The later expansions add more conflict I believe, but I haven't played them.

Strong sci fi theme. I love this game for that reason. I don't agree, however, that this game feels much like Star Wars specifically.

I didn't mean to suggest that is exactly like Star Wars, but as much as their is a "story" in Race it is a a Rebel vs. Imperial conflict... this story-line is strengthened in the expansions, especially "Rebel vs. Imperium" expansion.

The biggest draw-back I see is that there is very little direct conflict in the game. If you are looking for a direct conflict game this isn't for you.

I'm not a particular fan of Supernova, but it could work for you. It's got direct conflict but the combat is hand-based (sorta like Ticket to Ride in that respect). There are no dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff P
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nevermind... you need 3 for Supernova.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Reed
United States
Batavia
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haggis wrote:
sneezypanda wrote:

What are the negatives about Twilight Imperium and Starcraft that rule them out? That might help guide the alternate suggestions if we know why those two are excluded.

I'm getting Twilight Imperium and he doesn't know anything about Starcraft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.