Subject: Playing Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Nery
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
I played my first non-family game, and had some issues. Some occupation/minor improvement cards say "whenever you like you can do...". I understand that, whenever I feel like it I can call upon a card's ability. But some say "when you play this card, you can do...". Does that mean that those cards are one time use only? One that comes to mind (and I can't remember it's name) says that when you play it, you can sow a vegetable. Can I sow a veggie from my supply onto an available field whenever I can, or only the first time i play the card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Haas
United States
Edgewood
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, those cards are one-time use only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Koehn
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it was the Hobby Farmer:

Quote:
When you play this card, take 1 Vegetable that you may Sow immediately if you have an empty plowed field. (You can Sow just this one Vegetable with this extra action.)

The action is taken only once, when you play the card. There may be other cards that have an effect when you play them, and then some ongoing benefit, but if so they would be worded something like, "When you play this card [do this]. Whenever you [take some other action] [do something else]."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike T
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Your question can be paraphrased as:

"Do card effects occur when the card says they occur?"

The answer, perhaps unsurprisingly, is yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Malek
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all...
badge
...and in the darkness bind them, In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just keep in mind that the cards can generally be read very conservatively - if it sounds too generous, you're probably reading too much into it. Also, things relating to actions that only occur later in the game (vegetables, cows, family growth without room, for example) are more valuable than actions that are available early (grain, sheep, etc.) Thus, occupation cards and minor improvements that mimic these later actions are usually more limited than those that mimic the earlier ones. Of course, first and foremost, keep in mind the specific language on the cards - they try to make it clear, and many are further clarified in the rules (and there is a wealth of more specific advice here on the geek ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.