Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Elijah Lau
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin and I got together for a game of Bataan on Saturday. He took the Filipinos and I took the Japanese (reprising my role from an earlier game last week!). We played Scenario 3 as it was Robin's first game and it's a best short scenario with sufficient meat for a decent game.

Units at start

Turn 4

The 65th Army blasted into Morong easily, sweeping aside the 1st Dvision's 1/3 battalion in the town, which retreated after taking a step loss. Japanese gunboats provided gunfire support. Meanwhile, the two units of the 16th Army pressed towards the main road in a left flanking attack through the jungle. The Filipino 1st Division fell back to form a defence line at Balayon, while the Filipino 91st Division moved up from the Bagac Bay area to defend the main road.

The Japanese also received their aircraft reinforcements and two more 16th Army units. However, they held the two units at Olongapo for a potential amphibious invasion while moving the engineer unit by land down to the front line.

Turn 5

The Japanese 16th Army assault the Filipino 1st Division 31FA battalion forcing it to retreat. A second attack destroys the 31FA and put the 16th Army astride the main road. A disastrous counterattack by the Filipino 2/91 and 1/1 battalions leaves both of them disrupted. Meanwhile, the Japanese 65th Army continues to press down the main road on the right flank against a Filipino force weakened by attrition.

The Japanese close air support began a bad habit of poor coordination with the ground forces at this stage of the battle which continued through the entire battle.

Turn 6

Left behind enemy lines, the weakened Filipino 1/3 battalion, although out of supply, seizes Morong in an attempt to cut Japanese lines of communications. Perhaps fired up by the audacity of the Filipinos, the 65th Army launches attack after attack on the Filipino 1st Division along the main road, reducing the division down to almost nothing, for only two step losses. They were helped by the 16th Army units sliding up the main road to join with the 65th Army in combined assaults on the Filipino 1st Division. The 1/26th Cavalry was also destroyed in this battle despite a hard fight. In a final burst of action (Activate Any One Formation chit), two units from the 65th Army reverse direction and hit the 1/3 battalion at Morong, destroying the unit and retaking Morong for the Japanese.

It was fortunate for the Japanese that they achieved great success on land as their amphibious invasion was a total and utter failure. The amphibious force got totally lost and ended up somewhere in Caibobo Point - 12 hexes from the original landing point and off the playing area. shake

Turn 7

A US air raid disables Japanese close air support. This was not so much of a big deal as the Japanese CAS had been effective in only one fight throughout this entire battle. The Filipinos win the initiative this round and try to pull back their disrupted units. But the Japanese 16th Army, in an assault with the 65th Army smash through. The 65th Army followed up with an attack that forced the 2/26th cavalry to retreat. This opened up the the coastline and the 65th Army quickly moved two units to attack the 1/91 battalion, already weakened by attrition, near the US supply source.

Turn 8

The US win initiative again and send a counterattack with all available units of the 91st Division plus the 2/26h Cavalry and the tank company to try to dislodge the Japanese 65th Army units threatening the US supply source. To no avail.

Robin conceded after the failure of the first attack. He had only the 1st Division chit left and had only one battalion that could be activated. (The HQ was attrited in the last turn.) It was inconceivable that he could retake the supply source. I still had three activations plus the Activate Any One Formation chit (which I drew again!).

This was a close tense fight that came down to the last turn. Robin did well to conserve his forces' movement and attack to minimise attrition rolls. Towards the end, he was willing to sacrifice units to hold up the Japanese. For the Japanese, this was a straight-out infantry effort. My CAS was damn near useless due to very bad CAS coordination rolls and the artillery could contribute only two points. However, I was helped by getting the Activate Any One Formation chit and then was able to seize the opportunity to sneak attack along the coast to hit at the US supply source.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Luub
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elijah234 wrote:
I still had three activations plus the Activate Any One Formation chit (which I drew again!).

I'm pretty sure you are supposed to pass that chit to your opponent once you've used it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah Lau
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
squonk wrote:
elijah234 wrote:
I still had three activations plus the Activate Any One Formation chit (which I drew again!).

I'm pretty sure you are supposed to pass that chit to your opponent once you've used it.

You're right. That slipped my mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.