Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering, is there an Azathoth card? I know that Cthulhu has "Called By Azathoth" but I haven't seen a card of Azathoth himself.

-Peter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Card #127 from the Forgotten Cities set (pre-LCG) is "Azathoth, The Blind Idiot God". Neutral, cost 6, no icons, 6 skill. Text is: "Response: After Azathoth enters play from your hand, each player must sacrifice all characters not named Azathoth and all support cards he controls. At the end of the turn, you are eliminated from the game."

So it never really saw much, if any, play. It's pretty much an attempt to win the last story you need uncontested, but there are just too many ways to foil this, and then you're out of the game, so it's a mighty risky play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
tempus42 wrote:
So it never really saw much, if any, play. It's pretty much an attempt to win the last story you need uncontested, but there are just too many ways to foil this, and then you're out of the game, so it's a mighty risky play.

You aren't being creative enough.

After Azathoth comes into play you sacrifice him using Change of Seasons to put a Ghoul Khanum into play. Even without that, the very least you could do is have a bunch of other characters in your hand ready to go to win more stories uncontested.

By the way, Azathoth is my absolute favorite card they ever made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kolev
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
radynski wrote:
After Azathoth comes into play you sacrifice him using Change of Seasons to put a Ghoul Khanum into play.

This brings up a rules question - will sacrificing Azathoth prevent the effect of losing the game? If the part about losing the game was written as a separate forced response, that would be clear, but since it is part of the come in to play response, I guess it triggers then and cannot be avoided any more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ikolev wrote:
This brings up a rules question - will sacrificing Azathoth prevent the effect of losing the game?

Absolutely. If Azathoth leaves play before the end of your turn, his power is no longer in play and will not go off (costing you the game).

ikolev wrote:
If the part about losing the game was written as a separate forced response, that would be clear...

That is the way it is written. There is a space between the forced response text and the lose condition. Those are separate effects. The losing condition is a passive ability that will sit in play waiting to trigger, but if it isn't there at the end of your turn, you are fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kolev
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I don't own the card (I have only LCG cards) so I couldn't see it myself. I was just curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Ach
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cruising the FFG forums I ran across this exchange http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?e... and got some feedback from someone who was at the tournament at GenCon and thinks that the effect lasts even if Azathoth would be removed.

Any other thoughts or rulings on this? I hope it's on the next FAQ version...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
danach81 wrote:
Cruising the FFG forums I ran across this exchange http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?e... and got some feedback from someone who was at the tournament at GenCon and thinks that the effect lasts even if Azathoth would be removed.

That guy has no idea what he is talking about. I wasn't at GenCon, but what I gather from his mention of a ruling on Repo Man is this:

1. Someone wondered if you get to keep the support card that Repo Man steals, even after he is removed from the game.
2. FFG ruled that yes, you do.

So, first off, this is completely consistent within the rules as they currently are set, and if you had asked me this question yesterday, I would have told you the same thing.

Second, it does not remotely come close to being a valid comparison to Azathoth. The text on Az that makes you lose is, I repeat, NOT part of the Forced Response. Which means that that text will only trigger if he is still in play at the end of the turn. If you kill him before then, everything is fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Ach
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for clearing that up, Chris. I couldn't find the text for Repo Man, so I had no idea. I'll definitely take your word over his. I mean, this card would be worthless if the effect lasted.

What do you think about if Azathoth goes insane and text is then blanked? Would that negate the text? ...I would think so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
danach81 wrote:
What do you think about if Azathoth goes insane and text is then blanked? Would that negate the text? ...I would think so.

Yes, it would. Of course, at some point you'll have to restore him (next turn in fact if you have no other insane characters), at which point you'll still have to deal with him or you lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Ach
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
True, but it does open up some more possibilities (although not as effective) to dealing with him. I don't have a lot of removal cards at this point, and will probably have to get some more before I use him in a deck...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.