Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Getting rid of games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bradley Eng-Kohn
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb
My collection has grown to the point where it is affecting my wife's sanity (adversely, go figure). I'd like to get rid of some games, but here's my dilemma - I'm having trouble parting with them.

I have many games I know I'm never going to play that I got either cheap, free, or as part of lot deals. They are worth less on eBay than the cost of the box it would take to ship them (and I don't like charging more than shipping).

Basically, I'm looking at donating them, throwing them away (after salvaging parts), or trying to sell them as a lot. Quite a few of them are ones owned previously by Sid Sackson. I'm not really happy with any of the options, but with a new baby, I need a non-time intensive method.

Right now I'm leaning towards taking them out of the relatively secure bins they are in, putting them on open shelves in the garage, and putting them up for sale here - if they get damaged then so be it. But I know that "lesser" games don't really sell here either, so that's not really useful.

Any ideas?...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Shaver
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Well, assuming you're within a reasonably distance of manhattan, I know that if you DO decide to do a garage sale, I'll have to organize a group of my friends (whom I've recently converted into gamers) to drive out there and buy a pile of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Shaver
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Argh... "reasonable distance" (I was going to type "reasonably short drive")...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Palmer
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mb
I don't like gouging on shipping on eBay (and won't buy from people who do), but as long as you feel it is worth your time, I don't see a problem in selling a game for $5 even if the shipping is $6.50.

Smart buyers, of course, figure their shipping costs when making a bid, so you're only going to sell it for $5 if a smart buyer is willing to pay $11.50.

You could donate them to a thrift store, write them off your taxes as a charitable contribution (say $20 per game), then the thrift store will sell them at $2 apiece and some other BGG'er will be very happy when they run across them...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you never know, your trash may be another man's treasure.
Consider listing the games for trade for a couple of weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank da man
Thailand
Chumpohn
Chumpohn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hi,

first advice : donate them to me and if possible, all

second advice : don´t sell them in your garage, because i am almost sure, that you could get some serious money for your games, if you sell it on ebay or (better) on boardgamegeek

wich leads us to the third advice : please sell them here at boardgamegeek indeed. it´s always good to know, that some fellow gamers will own this games, who will actually play them. the ebay-sharks will probably buy them only, to sell them again...

finally, the most important fourth advice : be patient with your sales or better, think about selling them at all ! i feel, like i am almost in the same situation like you (2 children, 4 + 8, a wife complaining about this expensive and time and space consuming hobby...) and about 3 or 4 years ago, i sold a huge chunk of my games. today i sometimes would like to bite my ass off because of this. my son has just reached 8 and suddenly he enjoys boardgames and even started to play the more complex german style games like puerto rico and such. think 2, 4, 6 and 8 years ahead and you get the picture...

anyway, forget advice 2 to 4, because the first advice was the best. so...please donate them in my direction

frank

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Yes, that's a Japanese CTR ring shield cut in half...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll buy the Adel Verpflichtet off ya! and if it's on the auction block Daytona 500

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Eng-Kohn
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb
They've been for trade and sale here before
I had them for trade forever here, and for sale for a few months. We're talking about games that make Monopoly: Pokemon Edition look good. My trade list is up to date in my profile, I'm sure the ones I mean stand out.

I'll try them here again for a while, I guess, then be at the same point in a month, I suspect!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Aleknevicus
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Donate them
I have a pretty good idea of the type of game you're referring to and doubt that you'd have much luck selling them anywhere. I've been in a similar position several times and was unable to even give such games away. (No one was willing to pay the postage costs.) Since it sounds as though you have already tried offering them for sale/trade with no success I'd recommend taking the plunge and donating them to a local thrift store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could sell some in lots on ebay. Group them if possible by manufacturer or theme or something. Generally 4 or 5 games together would be a good way to sell games not worth the effort to sell individually and would save you time putting everything up for sale on ebay that you want to sell. One of the most popular searches on ebay is "Lot" so be sure to put that in the title and a picture and you should do okay.

Otherwise, I'd recommend the garage sale with prices that will move what you want to get rid of. And then donate all the rest to your local charity shop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
United States
San Ramon
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Details please...
You have games that belonged to Sid Sackson? That sounds like an interesting story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Eng-Kohn
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb
Sid Sackson Auction
When Sid Sackson passed away, his family gave his collection to an auction house to auction off. There's a whole story to that as well, which actually involves BGG history, but I'll leave that to others who know it better.

I went to the first auction (and wanted to attend the second, but couldn't) and bought games. Many were sold in lots, defined thematically as "whatever happens to fit in this here cardboard box." So everyone got a lot of games they didn't want along with ones they did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhonda Quiroz
United States
Leavenworth
Kansas
flag msg tools
Why not donate to either a nursing home or children's hospital? Another consideration---homes for battered women/men...something like that? I remember a couple of years ago donating tons of items we had leftover from our yard sale and taking it all to a place that housed abused women and children. It was like Christmas for them! Employees at this facility commented that the families living there each had their own apartments but furnished with just the bare necessities and they'd be very appreciative of anything anyone had to offer. I know I made the right choice in doing so and had such a good feeling afterwards.

Just a suggestion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.