Hide
2 Posts

Shuuro» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Shuuro - quick review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sharad Vora
msg tools
Ok, so my first review was not posted because it didn't have much detail in it - sorry guys! It was my first attempt at a review!

Anyway, here goes!!

Chess with a few tweaks! You can play a normal game of chess if you want using the reverse of the board but....

a 12x12 board, upto 8 cubes that block up random squares that only knights can land on? - every other piece has to go around them. This makes this game very different to chess straight away.

Now add in the fact that you can choose how many of each type of piece you have based on a points system - this looks more like a wargame than straight forward chess.

You can tool up with all the hard stuff like having upto 3 queens, but then you get less of everything else. So what would you choose? Depends on your style of play, but even a hard a nails side with queens, rooks, bishops etc, can fall foul of a side with lots of pawns - and if you get a stack of them across, you can have an army of whatever you want!

The great thing with this game is that you can play a quick version with a 6x6 board, upto 2 cubes and only a handful of pieces.

Also because each side can be completely different, no two games will even start off the same.

I think this a great twist on a classic. Being a wargamer at heart - Alessio can confirm how sad I am in this regard, I love it's simplicity! Even a poor chess player has a fighting chance against a great chess player because of some interesting random aspects to the game, like the way the cubes are placed.

I think that there will be some traditionalists from the wargaming community as well as the chess community that will think this an aberration, but give it a go! Not only a great family game, it has aspects that will keep anyone who loves strategy games entertained for ages! Isn't that what playing games is about anyway?

Hope this review get's through and that any readers find it useful!

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree. I personally feel that this is the best chess variation on the market. Very interesting, yet still faithful to the spirit of classic chess.

I really think that someone who enjoys chess should have this variant on their game shelf!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.