Twilight Struggle» Forums » Rules

Subject: Formosan Resolution Card - Who is discarding ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Bahrke
Gibraltar
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
On the "Formosan Resolution" card it says: "This card is discarded after US play of the China Card".

So for example if the US-Player uses the "China Card" and the Soviet Player just holds the "Formosan Resolution" in his hand at that moment, he is forced to discard it, right ?

tnx for help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Peters-Campbell
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What that line means is that the ongoing effect of Formosan Resolution ends if the US player plays The China Card. So basically if the US gets cozy with China Taiwan ceases to be quite such the ally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bahrke
Gibraltar
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
...thank you for your answer !

...the story behind the event is clear but the text of the card is not (at least to my mind). If the event is triggered, the card has to be removed, and when US plays the China Card later in the game the "FR Card" is discarded - but how can I discard a card that is already removed out of the game ?

...so if the event is not triggered yet and the "FR Card" is still in the game nothing happens with it after US play of the China Card with the exception that the "FR Card" will be only playable as an operation card later, right ?

tnx a lot !

chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Kitt
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Here's exactly how it works:

Before the event is triggered, the US player can use the China card with no consequences - it has no effect on the Formosan Resolution event.

After the event is triggered the card is removed from the game and the special treatment of Taiwan comes into effect. The next time the US player uses the China card, the effect is cancelled and the card has no further effect.

I agree it's not very clear. A better wording would be something like "This effect is cancelled after US play of the China card for Operations".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proudly annoying Capitalists since 1959
Cuba
Santa Clara
flag msg tools
badge
Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned
mbmbmbmbmb
Berlin Bear wrote:
...thank you for your answer !

...the story behind the event is clear but the text of the card is not (at least to my mind). If the event is triggered, the card has to be removed, and when US plays the China Card later in the game the "FR Card" is discarded - but how can I discard a card that is already removed out of the game ?

...so if the event is not triggered yet and the "FR Card" is still in the game nothing happens with it after US play of the China Card with the exception that the "FR Card" will be only playable as an operation card later, right ?

tnx a lot !

chris

If the FR is played (& in effect), you can put the grey FR-counter next to Taiwan to remind all players that the FR is in effect.
When the US then plays the china card, the grey-counter (and therefor the effect as well) is removed.

If the China card is played by the US BEFORE the FR nothing happens. The US player can still play the FR afterwards with all the same effect as above.

Cheers, Haring
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bahrke
Gibraltar
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
thank you both, now it`s totally clear...

chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.