Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing Scepter of Zavandor the other day, I was thinking of getting a few super cheap calculators to speed it along... any ideas where I could buy 5 or so super cheap?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dollar stores usually have some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, I bought a bunch at a dollar store. Buy more than you need, as some won't last long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can get batteryless solar powered ones, that would be one less thing to worry abotu.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Built into cellphones, too, if people need a quick solution, and have a cellphone on them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow9d9 wrote:
After playing Scepter of Zavandor the other day, I was thinking of getting a few super cheap calculators to speed it along... any ideas where I could buy 5 or so super cheap?

I picked up ten at a career fair (for power grid).
Fairs where vendors are trying to flog their company (instead of their goods) is a great place to get extra useful swag. I went to an energy conservation fair and got CFL light bulbs, a laser level, an LED lit screwdriver set, a year supply of mints in a lightbulb, recycled paper notebooks (very handy for game night), and enough pens to last me until the apocalypse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a short term solution, but if you hit Walmart or Target in September, they slash the prices on their "back to school" supplies.

$0.50 calculators, pens, notepads, post it notes, index cards... the list goes on. One trip and the game room supplies are stocked for a year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good suggestions! I was also thinking about Power Grid when I came up with the idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
Built into cellphones, too, if people need a quick solution, and have a cellphone on them!

While they do, anything less than a touch-screen smartphone is actually quite a bit less convenient/fast to use than a cheap plastic calculator.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something about a Dollar Store, and less so Walmart that you should be careful of when playing in tournaments of say... Power Grid. Perhaps have 2 of them on hand in case one breaks down?

Otherwise, I would use a PDA like a Palm, or anything with a touchscreen. I personally I'm not used to having to place a cursor over the +, -, or = sign. It takes too long IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mutton javelin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes Target marks down an old calcs. You gotta look around. I actually found scientific calcs at a Christmas Tree Shop (if you have ever gone to one) for three bucks. They were crap but they did work for a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Forbes

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you just want to get something online, you may be able to do cheaper than $2/each, but these will fit the bill:

http://www.amazon.com/BAZIC-10-Digit-Scientific-Calculator-3...

[quote]
While they do, anything less than a touch-screen smartphone is actually quite a bit less convenient/fast to use than a cheap plastic calculator.
[/quote]

I'm probably a bit quicker on my phone than I am on the uber cheap $1 calculators with crappy buttons you can get... but I'm probably a lot faster on the good $6-15 calculators, and more accurate.

:p

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.