Popular Tags: [View All]
Carlos Garcia
Spain
San Antonio de Benageber
Valencia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I was wondering wich one is better, I tough of buying both of them but someone said they were quite similars, and now I don´t know wich one to buy Carson city, Caylus or both, any advice please??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
I personally have both and would recommend both. Get Caylus if you have to choose. Everyone I know seems to prefer that a little bit more than Carson City. Neither would be a bad choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandcastle
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually have fun playing Carson City, and not with Caylus, so I suggest CC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nuno Bizarro Sentieiro
Portugal
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
#WYGAME
badge
#NBS# at WYG
mbmbmbmbmb
Carson City is more thematic and fun...
Caylus is more heavy,hard core game,but to me a bit dry...
Get them both
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DK Kemler
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are very good, but Caylus is the better game, imho. The cofrontation is a little more sharp in Caylus, so if your group prefers lighter confrontation, go CC, also the stratagy is less obtuse in CC. So, heavier, steeper learning curve, sharper confrontation, go Caulys, lighter, easier confrontaition, go CC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think they similar games at all. The only thing close is a superficial resemblance in that both games have a fixed "going down the road" mechanic, where actions are done in a set order each round.

Caylus is a great game which has stood the test of time. Carson City is good, perhaps very good. But it's not quite at the Caylus level.

I'd base your decision on other things. Carson City is more confrontational (moving the provost in Caylus is nothing compared to directly dropping a guy on a spot and taking an action away from someone in CC).

In Caylus, the actions available vary, based on what you build and when. In CC, it's fixed. Caylus has multiple resource cube collecting/spending, CC is money only, buy buildings, buy points, get more money to buy more.

Caylus has the favour system which is quite interesting, nothing like that in CC. Carson City has the role cards and varying privileges they give you, nothing like that in Caylus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Swenholt
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Caylus. When I want to play a strategy game (like Caylus) I don't want shoot-out mechanics (as in CC) that result in the ability to spoil a well-played game. I don't really even want to use those mechanics to spoil someone else's well-played game. If I want to beat him I should just play better.

If I want a good shoot out game then I'll just play Cash and Guns after I play Caylus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Want no luck at all, just plain strategy in your game? Caylus
Want to add some spice and a bit of back-stabbing? Carson City
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Smidt
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree- if you can afford it, get both.
If you have to choose, go for Carson City.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandcastle
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fardoche wrote:

CC has optional rules to use tokens instead of dice to decide duels, so it is possible to completely remove luck in it, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Santiago_vamp wrote:
fardoche wrote:

CC has optional rules to use tokens instead of dice to decide duels, so it is possible to completely remove luck in it, too.

There is still some luck involved when drawing building tiles from the bag (although both players are affected by it) and also if you choose the space where you roll the dice to earn $
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alton Todd
United States
Ramona
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a game that will see more plays at the table, has a high

replay value and is just plain fun go with CARSON CITY. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Pollock
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can't choose between the two, perhaps look at it from the angle of how often they'll see table time within your gaming group?

Caylus has the potential to be a serious brain-burner. Like many worker placement games, it's fairly simple to play - each go, all you do is place a worker - however, there is a lot going on and lots to think about. Experienced players or players who love to get deeply involved in games are always likely to benefit more than those who play on a lighter, less involved level. Therefore, it is much less likely to suit casual gamers or a gaming group containing a mixed bag of player types. It's for this reason I've never bought Caylus.

If on the other hand your group consists of one gaming type only and particularly if they love depth and thought, then you may find Caylus to be more appropriate. It is probably the better designed of the two games.

However, personally, I'd plump for Carson City. It's theme is more interesting, it's lighter on the gameplay intricacies, and there's luck if you want it or not - dice or tiles. Too get the most of this game, I still think it's better to have a group of players of a similar gaming type, but at least the gameplay isn't so deep and choices so daunting. My wife will play Carson City for instance, whereas I doubt she'd enjoy the complexity and depth of Caylus.

Rgds
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Garcia
Spain
San Antonio de Benageber
Valencia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for your advices, I´ll get both of them, my main concern was if they are too similars, but I see that in spite of having some things in common, they can cover different modes of play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Eggman
United States
Santa Maria
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are not similar at all to one another. Carson City will hit the table much more often than Caylus. Carson City is not to hard to teach but is still a really deep game. Everyone has fun even if they lose. Whereas, In Caylus the experienced players blow out the inexperienced players and they seem not to have very much fun.

Carson City has a fantastic theme. Furthermore, it allows for any kind of strategy to be persued.

Don't get me wrong, Caylus is still a great game. You are making the right choice to buy both!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only played CC once, so I have no idea how well it scales with different numbers of players. But you can play Caylus just fine with 2, 3, 4, or 5... which I think is yet another reason why Caylus is such a great game. I'd go with Caylus.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandcastle
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've noticed that nobody mentioned the cowboy meeples. CC's a must have just for them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Caylus and want to play Carson City soon. Honestly, I'd rather eat my own pancreas than play Caylus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soren Vejrum
United Kingdom
Richmond
Surrey
flag msg tools
London On Board - the largest semi-organised group of boardgaming dicks in the known universe.
badge
London On Board - the largest semi-organised group of boardgaming dicks in the known universe.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played Carson City and it is great. It is played very frequently at my local games meetup. I have never seen anybody bring/play Caylus. It seems to be very dry and long. Carson City has been described as Caylus with added fun and interaction. Besides, if you want Caylus then Caylus Magna Carta seems to be preferred by many. You may be able to find Caylus Magna Carta dirt cheap, so buy that and Carson City.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Collins
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylus just isnt fun, it's not a bad gamethough. Carson City is fun and has deep strategy as well.

Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And if you fall behind because of ONE mistake in Caylus, you are doomed to lose. There is no catchup mechanic and there is nothing you can do. I think games like this is where Euros can go too far to remove luck out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.