Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Cold War: CIA vs KGB» Forums » Rules

Subject: Some rules questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jamey Philipp
United States
Muskego
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1. What are all the things the Balance Token is good for?

2. What do you do when each player plays the same agent - who goes first when taking the agents actions?

3. Anyone play with population variants?

We were playing that you could go over the population as long as you were back under before the turn ended. Well that won't work as once you are over you might as well keep drawing cards then in hopes of a bunch of military cards.

When we played it the correct way, the fun died pretty fast though, as there just isn't as much to actually do with the card play. Part of the fun was going over and getting back under using a combination of the deck and the other players cards.

I was thinking perhaps a "fix" could be that you can go over the population only by stealing the other players cards (never by drawing from the deck). We tried it once and it helped give some more options back.

Anyone else try something like this?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Creighton
United States
Decatur
IL
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Superhawk2300 wrote:
1. What are all the things the Balance Token is good for?

The balance token is good to show who gets closest to the stability number at the end of the hand where there are two consecutive passes. It helps when players are first learning to understand the card text on the operative. I have not used it since the first few plays.

Superhawk2300 wrote:
2. What do you do when each player plays the same agent - who goes first when taking the agents actions?

It depends on the agent. Master spy is the same text essentially. If a double agent and analyst are used at the same time, only the winning operative gets to use their special power. A director and an assassin have no effect in a loss. And the Deputy Director has no special power other than not dying. If the operatives are different you look to the number towards the center of the card for turn order smallest to largest.

Superhawk2300 wrote:
3. Anyone play with population variants?

We were playing that you could go over the population as long as you were back under before the turn ended. Well that won't work as once you are over you might as well keep drawing cards then in hopes of a bunch of military cards.

When we played it the correct way, the fun died pretty fast though, as there just isn't as much to actually do with the card play. Part of the fun was going over and getting back under using a combination of the deck and the other players cards.

I was thinking perhaps a "fix" could be that you can go over the population only by stealing the other players cards (never by drawing from the deck). We tried it once and it helped give some more options back.

The only population variant I have never played without is having a population of 2 on the cards with special abilities. This really allowed for those cards to be a luck draw. I think the population numbers are good in the other cases, because that should factor into your decision as you think about drawing another card. As in, "If I draw here and go over, I will only have two cards to get back under. Can I do it?"
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Philipp
United States
Muskego
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
starwarsgolfer wrote:

Superhawk2300 wrote:
2. What do you do when each player plays the same agent - who goes first when taking the agents actions?

It depends on the agent. Master spy is the same text essentially. If a double agent and analyst are used at the same time, only the winning operative gets to use their special power. A director and an assassin have no effect in a loss. And the Deputy Director has no special power other than not dying. If the operatives are different you look to the number towards the center of the card for turn order smallest to largest.



Yes but what if the numbers are the same? That is the queston...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Creighton
United States
Decatur
IL
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The numbers are the same only on the same agents, which I thought I answered...

2 Master Spies = The player with the lower total gets the card
2 Double Agents = The Winner gets the power the loser gets nothing
2 Analysts = The Winner gets the power to look at three cards the loser gets nothing
2 Directors = The winner gets the top and bottom objective the loser gets nothing
2 Assassins = The winner kills the losers assassin the winning assassin stays alive and goes on leave
2 Deputy Directors = both live in all circumstances the winner takes the card

Hope that clears up your OP.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Philipp
United States
Muskego
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, got it.

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradshaw
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keith - that is also the only variant that we play with as well. The single population criteria on the special ability card has zero player scope as it stands (other than turn and hope), at least the two population option does allow for some actual gameplay within that particular round.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There is one actual mistake on keith's answer. If 2 Analysts are played, the loser and not the winner gets to use the power. This is the opposite if 2 Double Agents are played.

Also, note that this is a non-issue for the Director and the Assassin because because their powers only activate in case of victory to start with.

I am shocked to hear that the Fun died with he correct rules. Played the game again yesterday, always fun and tense.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.