Popular Tags: [View All]
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Calculator Planning/Intermediate

Reduces Higher Attack Card

You have the power to Equalize. As a main player, after cards are selected but before they are revealed, you may use this power to declare an “equalize”. If you do so and both cards are revealed to be Attack Cards, the value of the higher card is reduced by the value of the lower card. Thus if an Attack 15 and an Attack 8 are played, the 15 has its value reduced to 7, but the 8 keeps its value of 8. The encounter is then concluded normally.

Defenseless on a jungle world, the order of Calculators grew adroit at ensnaring their powerful but bungling competitors. Now adept at turning strength back against itself, they study the prospects of galactic empire, trusting that other grosser beings will not also grow calculating.

Flare

Planning
Wild: As a main player, once encounter cards are selected, but before they are revealed, you may call “odd” or “even”. When the cards are revealed, if both are attacks and their total is odd or even as you predicted, your opponent’s card value is reduced by the value of your card. If you were wrong, your card is reduced by the value of your opponent’s.

Planning
Super: You may use your power as an ally.

Commentary: This is a combat power. Fantasy went back to the original Eon power as opposed to Mayfair where reduction is twice the value of the lower card. I prefer Mayfair’s version because then Calculator has a good chance to win when using his power. As is, Calculator was never liked back in my Eon college days. If Calculator plays a 6 while the opponent played a 14, the opponent’s card becomes an 8, still ahead. With Mayfair, it would have been 2. Of course, his opponent’s card could have been 10 which would become 4. There’s a lot of guessing with this power. Its likeability is a matter of personal taste. It’s advisable not to equalize when playing an Attack Card 11 or higher unless you somehow "just know" your opponent will play something even higher. Attack 10’s are personal taste. 8 and lower are good cards to equalize.

Gerald Katz
Don’t forget to tip the Butler!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, kinda fickle power to use. Never actually tried it. Every game where it was an option I picked something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin JP
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A friend of mine playing Calculator tried Equalising 3 times, each time he lost the Encounter as a result. He never used Calculator or Equalise again.

On the other hand the Wild is significantly better than his racial power. Evens tend to come up a lot more than Odds, handy in a pinch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KaL_YoshiKa wrote:
A friend of mine playing Calculator tried Equalising 3 times, each time he lost the Encounter as a result. He never used Calculator or Equalise again.

On the other hand the Wild is significantly better than his racial power. Evens tend to come up a lot more than Odds, handy in a pinch.

Try Mayfair's version where you subtract twice the value of the lower attack card. This way you're safer equalizing with an Attack 6 or less and worth a try on Attack 8 and don't bother with Attack 10 or above unless you "just know" or have a hunch your opponent will play something even higher. This way, equalizing with Attack 8 makes your opponent's Attack 20 worth only 4 and can win instead of 12 and still lose. I know Mayfair got a lot of flack in how they handled Cosmic Encounter, but they did do many things right. Changing Calculator was one of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
Consistency: Wild Calculator probably should have been updated to say "after encounter cards are selected" instead of "once", and "Equalize" should have been capitalized in the opening sentence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.