Subject: Variant for 2 players. Someone has good ideas? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gianni Soldati
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello.
I always dreamed for a funny, interesting, strategic variant for Cluedo that plays well for two players!

Playing Cluedo in two is not very fun. Cards are splitted only in two..it's not very attractive.

I had an idea about using a third "ghost" player (In Italy we call this kind of fake players "il morto"...the Dead!)

Or maybe some of the cards are not held in hands. They could stay on table or in some rooms and you have to travel to see them.

Or maybe in every turn something strange happen (cards stolen...one of the secret cards is changed...i don't know)

I was lloking for a good "game maker" to invent a variant for two players for Cluedo.
Just for the fun of it!!

Any idea is really appreciated.

I saw that in BGG there are a lot of games about deductions. One is called Mistery train and it looks like Cluedo...maybe it contains good ideas to implement in Cluedo for two players...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Regards,
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want to be discouraging, but I don't think it is possible. You can deal a "ghost" hand, but eventually somebody has to look at it, and the only fair way to pick a card from the "ghost" hand is randomly.

I have been working on recreating an old computer mystery game that works like Clue but can be played with two players, but I playtested it, and I don't think it's very enjoyable. Sorry I can't offer something better. :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianni Soldati
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's sad....cry

There must be another way...the only problems is that I cannot figure out this idea!

Maybe something like "Players can lie!" introducing a certain numbers of lie a player can say to the opponent not whowing cards he has...maybe I can add more cards with special powers to make it more funny in two.

I don't know....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Regards,
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kotetsujeeg wrote:
That's sad....cry

There must be another way...the only problems is that I cannot figure out this idea!

Maybe something like "Players can lie!" introducing a certain numbers of lie a player can say to the opponent not whowing cards he has...maybe I can add more cards with special powers to make it more funny in two.

Hmmm. But how would you keep track of the number of lies? If you said it out loud it would give away your lie.

If you only have two people, maybe it's time to watch a mystery show together instead of playing a mystery board game. My favorite on PBS is Foyle's War.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer De La Rosa
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
The easiest way to do it is to pick three cards (or more, so long as the number is established before gameplay begins) at random from the shuffled deck of 21 and play otherwise as normal. Of course, strange combinations are then possible/probable... like having multiple weapons, people, or rooms as the solution. But then in the final accusation you can make up a crazy Agatha Christie-like explanation of how the "murder" took place (no suspect? suicide! two rooms? brutal multi-pronged attack! no weapon? five pointed palm exploding heart technique! etc. it's a macabre game - enjoy it). This makes deduction more difficult as you can no longer rule the candlestick out, for example, just because neither opponent has the revolver.

And as if that wasn't enough- here's another, even more convoluted set of 2-player options!

-----
Split up the non-solution cards between your opponent and 2, 3, or 6 "ghost" players. You play normally, but can only view cards from the ghost hands if you make a suggestion your opponent cannot disprove. When this happens, roll the die to see which of the ghost hands you can draw a card from (keeping it concealed from your opponent). Cards can either be drawn at random from these hands or from a labeled spread so players can avoid seeing cards they have previously drawn.

Deduce away.

**21 cards, 18 after solution cards are removed.

--------
EXAMPLE - 2 "ghost" hands

each opponent gets 5 cards
each ghost hand gets 4 cards

when players make a suggestion the other cannot disprove, roll the die. an even role allows you to draw (randomly or otherwise - you decide) from the hand you label as number one, etc. odd, the other hand.

Play normally otherwise.

---------
EXAMPLE - 3 "ghost" hands

each opponent gets 6 cards
each ghost hand gets 2

a die roll of 1 or 4 = draw from ghost hand 1
" " of 2 or 5 = draw from ghost hand 2
" " of 3 or 6 = draw from ghost hand 3

--------
EXAMPLE - 6 "ghost" hands

each opponent gets 3 cards
each ghost hand gets 2

dice rolls refer to ghost hand numbers 1-6

*could also be played with 1 card for each ghost hand and each opponent with 6

the level of complexity, randomness, and challenge will be different with each variation on the number of opponent-held cards vs. ghost hands, since the latter are only able to be seen if one bluffs suggestions for cards they already have, deduces their opponent's hand, and manages particular dice rolls (made even more random if cards are then drawn randomly from the ghost deck).

If the random elements become tedious for some players, just decrease the number of cards in each ghost players hand, or else de-randomize the drawing of cards from each. Really though, frustration is supposed to be part of Clue (people who play it with two dice, for example, miss half the point of the game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianni Soldati
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read everything with great interest!
Very nice ideas...i get lots of ispiration thanks to them!
Thank you Spencer.

I will try them as soon as possible....I don't know from where to start but I'm sure I will have fun trying them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zippadeedoodah
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI: I do not know if it is any fun, but Amazon currently sells a version of Cluedo that actually includes a 2-player version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianni Soldati
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the rules for the two player version on amazon here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/29072/scaled-clue

It's the old trick of putting cards in every room to force players to run in the house from room to room.

It works but it change the game.
I can win at cluedo without even moving from the first room I get in.
So it's another game for my taste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Martin
France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My girl keeps asking me to play Clue, but my boyu doesn't want to (and my wife neither). So I got to the same question as you: is there a 2-player Clue variant? (Indeed, we play Clue the card game, not the roll and move part of the game, only the deduction part).
Did you test ideas from Spencer? did you find new one?
I may try some rules some day, I will keep you posted if I find something interesting...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Martin
France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Searching the web, I found this page with different possible rules:
http://scibbe.com/?p=976

The one from heycoder looks interesting to me, I will try it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been testing a two-player variant that seems to be quite fun thus far after a few plays:

Set-up
1) Remove Weapon/Suspect/Room cards as normal.
2) Shuffle the remaining cards and place one card face-down on the board on each room.
3) Deal 4 cards each to the two players.
4) Place the one remaining card face-up next to the board. This begins the "collective clues" pile.

Movement
Players may move to any adjacent room each turn and may make an accusation in that room. Adjacent rooms here counts any room that is direct or diagonal to the current room. Secret passages also count as an adjacent room.

First Turn
Players Determine randomly who goes first.
The first player moves from the entrance to any room in the mansion (as all are adjacent according to the above definition).

Movement
Follow movement rules as aforementioned. When the player lands on the room, she takes the face-down card into her hand.

Accusation
The first player makes an accusation as usual, with the current room being the location of the murder. Do not move player pawns around the board when making the accusation.

If the second player has any cards in hand, he reveals one of them and places it in the "collective clue" display next to the board.

"Leaving a Fingerprint"
The first player then must place a face-down card from her hand on the room with a marker showing that she has left it. The marker could be the heads/tails side of a coin, a colored cube, poker chips, etc.

The turn is now over.

Special Rules

Turn Order
The turn order is as follows:

First Player / Second Player / Second Player/ First Player / Second Player / etc.

This equalizes the first player advantage.

"Fingerprints"
If the player lands on a room where she already has a left a fingerprint marker and a face-down card, she may leave a different card upon leaving the room.

If a player lands on a room where another player's fingerprints and face-down card are present, he places the card into the "collective clue" display instead of taking it into his hand.

If at any time placing a fingerprint marker and card would leave a player with no cards in hand, he keeps that card in his hand instead and does not leave a face-down card or marker on that room.

Final Accusation
At any time, a player may make a final accusation. He or she does not need to be in the room where the murder occurred.

That may seem like a lot of rules, but it flows pretty quickly. There's a bit of strategy in trying to empty your opponent's hand by trying to guess what's in there hand. Also, there's a bit of positioning to figure whether you want to grab new clue cards or go after the "fingerprints" your opponent has left.

It should set-up/play in 30 minutes easily.

Another variant I could see is to do away with investigator sheets entirely, forcing players to remember which "fingerprints" they left. May be a good option for younger children looking to test their memory skills

Anyhow, I'd love to hear feedback and suggestions from anyone willing to give it a shot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianni Soldati
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will try this as soon as possible!
Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianni Soldati
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok! I played two games with your rules and only two players!

It was fun! I really enjoy the game. It' looks easy to play and so easy to explain.

I'm not so "smart" to figure out strategies of any kind. I simply move on the board from room to room as much as possible to discover the room of the murder. And I leaved a lot of fingerprints.
It never happened to enter a room with my own fingerprint because I try to enter in room with cards without fingerprints to see them.

I'm not sure if I understand everything correctly!
I will try to summireze a few rules so that you can correct me.

1) If I enter a room with a card without fingerprint, I take the card and I put another of my card with my fingerprint in the room.
2) If I enter a room without any cards I don't put one of my card in the room and I leave room empty.
3) If I enter a room with a card and a fingerprint of my colour I can swap that card with another of my cards
4) If I enter a room with a card and a fingerprint of the colour of the other player I put his card in the "collective clue" tuck.
I don't put one of my card in that room. I leave it empty.

Is it correct? I'm not sure about point 2 and point 4. Do I need to put one of my card in a room empty?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you enjoyed it!

To answer your questions:

1) Yes, you take the card into your hand and leave any card from your hand face-down on that room with the fingerprint token. It could be the card you just picked up or any other card from your hand.

2) If you enter a room without any cards, you would leave a card and a fingerprint token if you had one.

3) Yes, you can swap with any card in your hand.

4) If you have a card in hand after picking up the other player's fingerprint clue, you would also leave a card and a fingerprint token on that space.

The reason that you would always leave cards is that you'll leave your "fingerprints" throughout the mansion as you investigate. We'll assume this is a very sloppy lot of detectives!

This also drives the strategy of having more cards in hand that the other player -- which means that you can rule out more of the clues than the other player.

It's by no means a perfect variant, but I'm glad you had fun. If you have any suggestions, I'd love to try them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianni Soldati
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played again. This time I played the right way! :-P
It's simple and fun.
But I think that the winner is always the one who see more rooms before the other player!
If I wait in a room for one or two turns (or if I visit a room for the second time instead of a new room) probably I will not win.

But I like it because is fast, easy to teach and it's still fun to see the hidden cards at the end of the game (the grestest moment in Cluedo).

Is there a way to add a little bit of variation to the rules so that even if a player doesn't move from room to room as much as the other he can still win?

Another thing! We always end the game with only one card...that's almost impossible to keep more than that because the other player always find all of your card. I like to put on the table all my cards with weapons and characters so that I have in my hans only rooms.
Doing this I don't show to the other player any card (of course a few rooms sometimes). But even doing this at the end I always have no more than one card!
Not a big issue at all. Just strange.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Knutson
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a recent edition of Clue there is an official 2-player variant:

'To play CLUE with 2-players or 2-teams, add the following rules to your game.

1. During setup, take the top four CLUE cards from the deck and place
them facedown in a row at the side of the board.

2. Follow these rules when your opponent cannot answer your question:

Ask questions as normal. (The other player must always try to answer.)

If a player cannot answer, you must secretly look at one of the four
cards at the side of the board. Cross it off your CLUE Sheet and
return the card to exactly the same spot at the side of the board.

Every time the other player cannot answer one of your questions,
secretly look at a different one of the four cards at the side of the
board. (Be careful to remember the position of each one that you’ve
already seen!)'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianni Soldati
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you.

Weeks ago I downloaded the rules of alomost all the version of Cluedo. I found also the 2 player version you told me.

I didn't try it yet. I don't understand exactly if ti can be interesting from a strategic point of view or not....seems to me too simple...but...maybe I'm missing something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Regards,
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kotetsujeeg wrote:
I can win at cluedo without even moving from the first room I get in.

I have to ask:
How in the world do you deduce all of the rooms without leaving your first room?

I understand you can learn a lot by carefully deducing what cards other players are showing each other, but I'm not sure how you can figure out the room before anyone ELSE does without moving around at least a little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianni Soldati
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I mean is that I never move from a room till I understand the weapon and the killer. Then I start moving of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.