Edward Kleiner
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Away With It. This card is best used by the end of the game because you get to discard a card in hand at the final round where cards ran out so that you don't lose 5 points for having cards in hand at end of game. Its also good at the beginning too just in case I took an upgrade card and its in my hand & I either can't afford it right away or don't have the matching upgrade to that symbol on the green upgrade trading card.

Black Market is also super and its the same as the Debtors Prison similar to Observatory where you pick any card you want in the discard pile and use it right away like I would do it with The Jestor or the Banquet or that Golden Donkey and that time you don't place it in hand right away.

Golden Donkey is one of the best where its like winning 5 instant free Rubles in a lottery.

Double Turn just means when you are ready to play it in your hand you just play that card from your hand to the discard pile and do two other things instead of one. I would never use it for passing I would yes use it to take two cards I really want to either play or put in hand or even play from hand and put a new one in hand. Pickpocket is super if I am the last to go in the green phase and then I go first and its too bad for the person whos is supposed to go first in that green phase.

Jester is super in this way. If you have a card with less victory points and more rubles then you have more victory points to score but only some less rubles.

The Banquest: best one of all Then best of all along with Golden Donkey there is yes the Banquet where its double rubles and double victory points and with Black Market or Debtors Prison whomever played Debtors Prison or whomever gets one of the two Black Market Cards, you get a second chance on Golden Donkey or Banquet

I left something else out which is, the fifth player with the round symbol at before the green round gets a two ruble bonus.

I love those banquet priviledges what does everyone think of that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gallagher
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One clarification with the Black Market and Debtor's Prison: You can't use it to grab a purple card from the discard pile. Thus there is no 'second chance' on the Golden Donkey (or for that matter, any other purple card). Its best use is to grab an orange card you don't already have. Green cards or a Potemkin Village (especially the 3/8) are also decent uses for it.

The Banquet, Golden Donkey, and Jester are nice, but are often secondary to the Pickpocket and Double Turn (either of which can be used in the late game to grab that critical orange card to expand your set). This is because of how points are scored for orange cards - the 10th orange card nets you 10 VPs, whereas any of the others give at most an additional five VPs or six gold.

Remember that purple cards don't count against you at the end. I used that to my advantage in a game I played this past weekend:

In an earlier round of a three-player game, I had grabbed the Pickpocket. On the last upgrade round, two orange upgrades appeared. The player to my right was first to act. The score was such that if I had used the Pickpocket to get first choice of the orange upgrades, the player to my left would have won (as he would have gotten the second one). So I declined the option to Pickpocket, thus denying the player on my left that critical upgrade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Kleiner
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Hi Bill I am sorry on what you said but with my game I have changed lots of the house rules to make it a better game & have played it that way.

First of all you can use the Debtors Prison & Black Market to take out those purple Banquet Cards anytime you wish. I have done it that way & there was a game where I took out the Golden Donkey Twice when I got that Debtors Prison Early in the Game. So my rule is you can take anything you want out of that discard pile including Purple Banquet Cards like Banquet or Golden Donkey or Pickpocket or Double Turn.

Plus I have other rule changes too. When you have an upgrade that is lesser than the original amount, you get rubles for it. Plus if you are upgrading and you have two or more of what you are upgrading from you get discounted off same as you get discounted off from lower row & second of the same card you are buying and yes there are free cards if you go from minus one to zero & for example my 4th lumberjack that I am buying and I have a -1 discounted for green worker cards, I would get paid two rubles for getting that card.

There is nothing wrong with some rule changes.

However if I changed this rule like being allowed to use Observatory and Debtors Prison more than once, then it would have a super disadvantage like, going for that Golden Donkey and Banquet many times and yes taking Black Market to use during another phase too. So I didn't change that & if you take a card from lower row into your hand I almost decided to say put a written not saying that you are doing it but I decided no. Thats why I never take cards from lower row and put it into hand unless its a noble upgrade that I need.

There is nothing wrong in changing those rules. I don't like the factor that you pay a dollar for upgrades in opposite direction when I would rather just, say you get rubles in return and if you have two of what you are upgrading from you get an additional ruble or 3 you get two additional rubles and yes you do discard that card. So I am sure others change rules for making the game a better interesting way too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
juggamebuck wrote:
There is nothing wrong with some rule changes.

Agreed. But then this thread belongs in the Variants forum, not the Rules forum, so that people trying to play by the official rules don't get confused.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Meyer
United States
Greenbelt
Maryland
flag msg tools
Tom: have you considered a fifth set of cards as a variant to the game? or other additional cards for the existing sets?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.