Popular Tags: [View All]
Kai von der Aa
Germany
Nuremberg
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi! I would like to hear what you think about the name "Sturm Europa!". The title should sound German I think and in fact both words are German. Easy to recognize "Sturm" is the German word for storm and "Europa" is German (or Latin) for europe. But in combination it just didn't make sense to me. If this should be an order to the military forces, it should be "Stürmt Europa" meaning "attack europe" or "Sturm über Europa" meaning (yes, it's easy) "Storm over europe".

What do you think, especially I address this to non-German speakers. Sounds "Sturm Europa" very cool or very German for you?. What's your opinion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
May the Great Spirit Bless all who read this.
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool...and hopefully the game will be too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Kihrin wrote:
What do you think, especially I address this to non-German speakers. Sounds "Sturm Europa" very cool or very German for you?. What's your opinion?

My German isn't the best, but I like the title, to me it equates to "The European Storm" in English. That is, just the fact that Europe was a mess at the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tan
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
That's me and my other pastime. I perform as John Lennon in several Beatles tribute acts.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kihrin wrote:
Hi! I would like to hear what you think about the name "Sturm Europa!". The title should sound German I think and in fact both words are German. Easy to recognize "Sturm" is the German word for storm and "Europa" is German (or Latin) for europe. But in combination it just didn't make sense to me. If this should be an order to the military forces, it should be "Stürmt Europa" meaning "attack europe" or "Sturm über Europa" meaning (yes, it's easy) "Storm over europe".

Well a few years ago I came up with a list of potential names and ran them past my ex-wife who is Austrian. Her suggestion was Ansturm auf Europa but this was not as popular with the non-German speaking crowd. We also considered Sturm in Europa, Sturm gegen Europa and Sturm auf Europa. It's very difficult to say anything in German with just two words but all the two word names had more impact to non-Germans. She said if it was made as an exclamation, a two word name, would be acceptable. Then the working name became Europa ansturmen! Then the problem became, many Americans didn't recognize the word Sturm in that form whereas any WWII fan knows Sturmgewehr Sturmtruppen etc... So that was truncated to Europa Sturmen which still didn't sound right so I settled on Sturm Europa which I know isn't gramatically correct.

I meet Uwe and Uli several months later and they thought the name was fine so I decided to stick with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai von der Aa
Germany
Nuremberg
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael, thank you for the explanation. For me it's still a strange title...but despite of this, the meaning of it (the raging war/storm over europe) is quite clear. And if also the non-German speakers have no problem with it and the title was already discussed in the past...then go for it. In this case I don't want to start a discussion of the name.

(I will buy it anyway, even if you would name it "the raging man with the little moustache and what he starts and how it ends and what happens in the years between".)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kihrin wrote:
(I will buy it anyway, even if you would name it "the raging man with the little moustache and what he starts and how it ends and what happens in the years between".)

:D

Now that’s a title I’d love to have on my shelf. Guaranteed to make me laugh every time I walk past it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ville Koli
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kihrin wrote:
"the raging man with the little moustache and what he starts and how it ends and what happens in the years between"

That sounds like a Monty Python version of a WW2 game.
I would definitely buy that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Luta
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps the German speakers can think of this title as something uttered by either Maria-Theresea or Friedrich der Grosse (depending on which historical context for 'Germany' an individual prefers)--both of whom had notoriously poor German grammar!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex H.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
welcome your reptilian overlords!
mbmbmbmbmb
Name sounds fine to me. I think it evokes the right associations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.