Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Fluharty
United States
Blandon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I received the H:RvC Valley Games generals minis as a preorder customer. I am looking to trade them. However, I have no idea how to value them, which has become an issue with potential trade partners. In good faith, everyone wants to make an equitable trade, but I can't seem to find any data to support a fair valuation.

Open to suggestions here...

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker Hirscher
Germany
Oftersheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought mine for about 10$
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
This really is a non-answer, but how much are you willing to part with them? You got them for free so the actual value is minimal. They are out of production and unlikely to return, so the perceived value could be anything.

$10 seems a bit low to me. That's less than $1 a general. Aren't there 14 of them? So around $15 seems closer to it and maybe even $20 is better because of the rarity of them.

Better to start high and see what people counter with. If no one offers more than say $5, their value is just that so you need to decide if that is too low for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the same issue. I value mine at about $20 minimum as anything less and it isn't worth it to me to get rid of them. There are people who paid for them (i.e. it was a purchasing incentive) that got screwed over with the broken ones and then there are people who got them as a bonus (i.e. didn't factor into the purchasing decision) that got them in perfect shape. Life just isn't fair sometimes I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sweeney
United States
Clinton Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was one of those that got a busted general and no replacement... However, I just can't make myself fork over $20 to replace the one busted one... If you want to sell yours for $10 plus postage - I'd do that and then post the remainder in the parts thread for other geeks....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Sauer
United States
Willow Street
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

EDIT: My purchasing incentive was a discount on a reprint of a great game. It ended there... but then again, I'm wired VERY differently (thankfully).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Fluharty
United States
Blandon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I was thinking 14 minis, $2.00/each = $28.00 US. The answers so far have been much lower than that though. I guess it is comes down to how bad someone wants them. I would prefer to sell them as a set, not to part them out. I don't collect games; I play games. I would really prefer to trade them for something that will actually hit the table with my game groups. Unfortunately, the games that I really want have become very expensive OOP items like "Struggle of Empires" or "Sword of Rome".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the problem is that they really aren't needed to play the game so the demand isn't so great. Also, the fact is that they were so poorly made that even buying an intact set doesn't mean they will be any less fragile - they are just among the lucky so far.

Fortunately, the box is small so they haven't been squeezed out of my collection yet. Until they do, or I get a good enough offer, I figure to keep them for the novelty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grognardlibrarian wrote:
I was thinking 14 minis, $2.00/each = $28.00 US.

Is your set perfect? Unbroken, unscuffed, etc.? If so, you might find a buyer at that price eventually, provided you assure your buyer that you'll repack them so that they don't get broken in transit. But, like all the VG promos, the generals were a pretty crappy incentive. The minis are OK, but nothing eye-popping, they're much too fragile, and most H:RvC players probably won't see any added value. If nothing else, they just take up more space because you're not going to put them in the game box for fear of breakage. I have a set somewhere, and have never bothered with it after opening it the first time. Like you, I just don't see the value.

If you just want to get something for them and do it quickly, $15 would probably be a better price. And I agree, at that price, it's not really worth the trouble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Fluharty
United States
Blandon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks for all the great answers everyone. In short, the generals are not worth much and are held in low esteem besides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
douglasefresh yo
msg tools
Does anyone know a range of Minis which could be customised to represent the generals? I've had a google, but can't find many appropriately high-ranked miniatures. I'd be interested in those minis - paying what you want for them, so long as they are unpainted

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Letourneau
Canada
St-Lambert
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been collecting minis for a long time, as well as CCGs, games and so on. To make a long story short, I think that the minis themselves are really great and the details are fantastic. If your set is like mine and the minis are in perfect condition, then it is a rare set considering all of the imperfect sets out there. The game itself is also the most popular CDG out there at the moment. Bottom line, parting with the set for $28 is insain. It is much too soon to part with them and their value will most probably got up with time. I would keep them, but that's just me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Fluharty
United States
Blandon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Duguayduguay wrote:
I have been collecting minis for a long time, as well as CCGs, games and so on. To make a long story short, I think that the minis themselves are really great and the details are fantastic. If your set is like mine and the minis are in perfect condition, then it is a rare set considering all of the imperfect sets out there. The game itself is also the most popular CDG out there at the moment. Bottom line, parting with the set for $28 is insain. It is much too soon to part with them and their value will most probably got up with time. I would keep them, but that's just me...

Ah, a dissenting view!

I do not play CCGs or tabletop miniature games. In fact, I do not collect anything at all, including games, not even books (even though I am a professional librarian). In other words, I am an utilitarian. I am more interested in utility, ergonomics, and usability than collectability. If it ain't going hit the table and get played regularly, I just don't see the point in owning and storing it.

Thanks for the input.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
grognardlibrarian wrote:
In fact, I do not collect anything at all, including games, not even books (even though I am a professional librarian).

Not wanting to take your work home with you? I can understand that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Fluharty
United States
Blandon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
ColtsFan76 wrote:
grognardlibrarian wrote:
In fact, I do not collect anything at all, including games, not even books (even though I am a professional librarian).

Not wanting to take your work home with you? I can understand that.

Actually, that is not the case at all.
My "work" is people-centric, not book-centric or info systems-centric. Of course, if I was an archivist...
Nah, I ain't going there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Jackal
United States
Nowhere
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a set for sale/trade, however, one of the upper left most generals (as seen here http://store.valleygames.ca/images/More_Sculpts.jpg ) has a chunk missing out of his left helmet wing. I'm also missing the stickers - though I should be able to find them if you want them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.