Subject: Like Space Hulk? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ben saylor
United States
Delray Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
Is this like Space Hulk and the Aliens boardgame? I can't get enough of these Sci-Fi games...and am looking for a cheap non-rare one I can travel with and this looks like a winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a decent replacement or substitute for SH. It's the same theme, idea, and general game play. Just needs an expansion or two and it'd actually be better than SH....IMO....for a quick travel game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not familiar with the Aliens game, but it has a lot of the flavor of SH. There's not really any exploration or discovery to speak of, but it's a neat game. I would recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Conn
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
You are not brought upon this world to get it!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There isn't any exploration in Aliens, either. The game is broken into scenarios based off the movie. Who lives in a scenario transfers into who plays in the next scenario (if playing as a campaign), otherwise there's a stock list of characters per scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Armydillo978 wrote:
This is a decent replacement or substitute for SH. It's the same theme, idea, and general game play. Just needs an expansion or two and it'd actually be better than SH....IMO....for a quick travel game.

I would agree with this. While they have the same theme and feel, there are substantial differences in the underlying mechanics which I think are almost always in the favor of Forlorn: Hope. The only thing really I miss about Space Hulk is the ability to destroy doors, but because of the range and interrupt attack mechanics in F:H it isn't a big deal. The blip system in SH was good for creating a certain amount of mystery and tension, but it also added a layer of complexity which I don't miss.

So the only real advantages to SH are component quality (which is balanced by the difference in cost), the number of scenarios, and the modular tiles. So I agree with Bill. An expansion or two would be enough to make F:H better than SH in almost every way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.