Popular Tags: [View All]
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a couple folding tables I use for gaming in the case of some wargames that may need to stay set-up for long periods of time. There are a few games that are just too big for a conventional card table or the other Costco folding table (size of two parallel card tables) which I tend to use.

I had an idea to put a gaming surface sitting on top of one of my portable tables, the create a larger playing surface. Anyone with a suggestion of the best way to go about this? What do you use? How much should I expect to spend?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Green felt? Cheap and supportive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hollow-core doors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the obvious answer would be a 4' by 8' sheet of plywood with some sort of makeshift legs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Clayberg
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Renaissance Man wrote:
Green felt? Cheap and supportive.

(struggling to lift one of their parents off the ground, one baby chicken says to another) "We should never have said we'd support our parents in their old age." :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The door sounds promising.

I wasn't so much worried about the surface (green felt), but rather the surface area. Plywood is just fine. Ideally it would be something easy to sit against the wall, and reasonably stable sitting on top of a folding table as support.

Sounds like I need to go to Home Depot or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you take a trip to Home Depot and look in the building supplies section with all the plywood, consider MDF. 1/2" MDF (4'x8') would be just right. You could cut it to whatever you want if needed.

If you get regular plywood, I recommend getting a sanded ply for a nicer feel and less chance of splinters during gameplay.

For a nicer surface, consider applying a felt sheet to the MDF (not the real thick stuff... use the thin, stronger stuff like on a pool table). Pool table replacement felt is easy to find.

Here, an e-bay listing has red felt priced per foot: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Kohut
United States
military/mobile
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've used 4 by 8 wall paneling cut to various sizes. Made a nice octagonal piece. Less splinters than plywood

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.