Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
(Cross posted from RPGG)

BGG users tick the RPG domain box for off-topic or humour geeklists, so that RPG folk can enjoy them too. Unfortunately, due to BGG's much larger user base, these lists drown out actual RPG lists.

Observe today's front page for RPG geeklists -- it's mostly off-topic stuff from BGG users.

If you click through to these lists (e.g. "Games to play with Mom") they have zero RPG content. When VideoGameGeek starts up, this will get worse.

I can think of a few easy solutions, which would ideally be implemented together:

1. A separate front page module for off-topic geeklists (the same as the way trade geeklists work now)
2. Grey out the RPG domain tickbox on the Create Geeklist form, unless the list is created in RPGGeek or unless the user adds at least one RPG item or person to the list
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two of those are the Geekgold for Games auctions, which might be better split out into Boardgames, RPGs, and Video Games anyway. Although not as large an issue in this direction, I don't want to see all-RPG geeklists on BGG, nor will I want to see all video game lists. Graying out the checkbox is an interesting idea, but it might also help to have guidelines or hear expectations from the powers at be. The thrifters were made to separate out RPGs from the weekly thrift list - it wouldn't be so bad if that's how everything was treated, but, especially in light of your post, it doesn't seem so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guidelines (e.g. in the form of text next to the RPG checkbox) would be great as well. Some people would just ignore them, but if there was enough uptake from everyone else it might solve the problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
I'd also love to see Geeklist categories broken down quite a bit further. We admins have talked about doing this before - I'll bring it up again with this extra ammo.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
You could do what they do at BGG for unwanted geeklists: Flag them and make them go away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
#YOLO!
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
I'd also love to see Geeklist categories broken down quite a bit further. We admins have talked about doing this before - I'll bring it up again with this extra ammo.

-MMM

Maybe their popularity/hotness should depend on how many RPG items actually ARE on those lists...

If none are present, there's no reason for them to appear at all on the rpg side, for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clearly the solution is to have options for users to display only list types that appeal to them, with some granularity of settings. Say, "show me only Geeklists that contain at least X | X% [RPG | BG | VG] items" regardless of which boxes are ticked for entry types.

And possibly allow multiple front page Geek List modules, each with their own threshold. This will allow users to create multiple Geek List modules if they wish, each showing different types of content.

I find the continuing problem strange, though. In November 2009, when it was requested of the thrift guild to stop cross posting the weekly thrift list to RPGGeek, such a granularity of was identified by the admins as a Top Priority. Of course, I may have misremembered or am misinterpreting what was said. Still, it's been an identified problem for quite some time, and it's only going to get worse when VGGeek comes on line. The current policy of having admins politely (yet forcefully) request that owners of crossposted lists sever the crosspost doesn't scale well.

Perhaps it's time to point some coders at the problem?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
But most of that looks like it could potentially have RPG content (if a user chose to add the D&D they play with their mom, for instance). And the completely off-topic entries (Lena Horne, Movies, e.g.) aren't there to have either boardgame or RPG (much less arcade, um, video game) content. They're just fun geeklists. It seems to me that your concern is more in the fact that people use geeklists for other-than-game content. But since this is the "active" module, apparently that's what the people want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
But most of that looks like it could potentially have RPG content (if a user chose to add the D&D they play with their mom, for instance). And the completely off-topic entries (Lena Horne, Movies, e.g.) aren't there to have either boardgame or RPG (much less arcade, um, video game) content. They're just fun geeklists. It seems to me that your concern is more in the fact that people use geeklists for other-than-game content. But since this is the "active" module, apparently that's what the people want.

I enjoy the fun lists too, and on BGG there's a good mix of boardgame lists and fun lists. You would have a great point if RPG users were the people making the off topic lists, but they aren't.

In practice, this shared content makes it harder for RPGgeek to build the same sort of community as BGG, because geeklists are simply not available as a tool for public discussion. There's no point making public lists on RPGG -- the public never sees them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett Warren
United States
Marietta
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems as if there are two issues at hand here.

One is regarding what type of content can be added to a GeekList.

The other is where a list appears.

The first choice is obvious: board games, rpgs, video games, whatever comes next.

The second choice is closer to the categories used in pictures... where that is Games, Creative, and People, this might be better represented by something that reflects what areas the list should appear in, for example:

board games
rpgs
video games
chit chat
rsp

There are reasons to support more than one of these areas, and there are plenty of ways to decide how to combine them ~ although any combination involving a high traffic area and a low traffic area will get the results we're seeing now. Maybe you pick a primary area, and it only gets added to others based on content, as another suggested? Maybe it needs explicit mod'd permission to cross multiple areas? Maybe the GeekList section on each page can be filtered and set up by each individual user? Maybe this makes no sense because I've been up for far too long and I'm physically and mentally exhausted from tangling with some highly dangerous work earlier today and I'm up way past my bed time and this is a run on sentence? Maybe one or more of these apply?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.