Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Long
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like a great game but seems like a lengthy gaming experience. I like the idea of CDG for the ACW. I teach and have introduced games like Twilight Struggle, 1960, and Washington's War to my students. Has anyone incorporated some "house rules" to shorten the gaming experience. I would love to learn and play the game myself, but considering the expense of games, I have to be real selective in choosing games to buy. I also noticed Price of Freedom, but it seems that For the People offers more historic cards to implement a variety of scenarios. I want to stay with the CDG mechanic so hopefully you great gamers can offer this newbie to war games some suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Raspler
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not just play one of the scenarios? It's obviously shorter than the full campaign game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
After five plays, this game is a long one if you play the Campaign (12+ hours). If you have two experienced players and they are watching their time, you can probably get the game done in 6-8, but the game lends itself to A/P.

However, that's for 12 game turns.

The 1-year scenarios are 1/4 the length, which comes in at a manageable 3-4 hours.

The rules are complicated but worth it - tons and tons of historical chrome.

If you are looking for a game that hits many of the political and idealistic chords of the era, this game is a good choice. If you are looking for a realistic military simulation, I would choose from a large bevy of operational games instead.

Cheers.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gautier

Rhinebeck
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like at this point FtP is not the game for you. It is far more complex than the games you mentioned. It is difficult to learn to play well. I know of no "house rules" that shorten or simplify it.

I recommend Blue vs Gray, also from GMT. It has a ton of cards, all with historical notes. And, the designer has a storyboard for the game, which you can find here:

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@248.iSl6a6yF5Yv.6@.ee6ce...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.