Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Diplomacy» Forums » Rules

Subject: In the interest of spreading my noob questions to every corner of BGG rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The pirate's life for me!
United States
flag msg tools
pineapples are in my head
badge
"There is a Heppy Land Furfur A-waay"
mbmbmbmbmb
This has occurred an awful lot in some of the quick games I play against the AI.

Usually, it happens to me, but I caught it when it didn't happen to me, and I'm not so sure I understand.

I enjoy the concept of two adjacent armies, which support each other, forming a chain of sorts. But I'm not sure how it works.

Here's an example: I'm playing Turkey. I have an army in Greece, Bulgaria, constantinople, and Armenia, as well as a fleet in the black sea (I was experimenting with a weak AI XD). In addition to other units, Russia has a fleet in Rumania, an army in Galicia, and an army in Sevastopol.

I move:
Army Armenia --> Sevastopol
Fleet Black Sea S Armenia --> Sevastopol
Greece Hold
Army Bulgaria --> Rumania
Army Constantinople --> Bulgaria

Russia's move play out:
Army Sevastopol S Rumania
Fleet Rumania S Sevastopol
Army Galicia S Rumania

Now, what happened was that I got Sevastopol, and the army retreated to Moscow. But I attacked with 2 (blacks sea and armenia) and it defended with two (itself plus Rumania). Rumania was supported by Galicia, which wasn't cut, so how did my army in Constantinople cut the support?

This has happened numerous times to me, and I've never been able to figure it out. Someone please help me out here.

Thanks in advanced,

Kris24

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Schmit
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Support is cut if the supporting unit is attacked. It doesn't matter if the attack was successful(i.e. the unit was dislodged) or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
As a general rule to cut support you do not have to dislodge the unit just attack it.

Thus your move

will cut the support order
Fleet Rumania S Sevastopol (it is irrelevant if Rumania is supported or not).

Your army in Bulgaria will bounce and remain in Bulgaria, but the Support order has been cut therefore it is now Armenia supported by Black Sea into an unsupported Sevastopol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shields
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kris2476 wrote:
This has occurred an awful lot in some of the quick games
I move:
Army Armenia --> Sevastopol
Fleet Black Sea S Armenia --> Sevastopol
Greece Hold
Army Constantinople --> Bulgaria

Russia's move play out:
Army Sevastopol S Rumania
Fleet Rumania S Sevastopol
Army Galicia S Rumania

Now, what happened was that I got Sevastopol, and the army retreated to Moscow. But I attacked with 2 (blacks sea and armenia) and it defended with two (itself plus Rumania). Rumania was supported by Galicia, which wasn't cut, so how did my army in Constantinople cut the support?

Kris24

Not to beat a dead horse, but I agree with the other responses.

Bulgaria moving to Rumania cuts Rumania's support of Sevastapol. Galacia's orders are essentially irrelevant to the adjudication. You do not have to dislodge a unit (Rumania in this case) in order to cut the support it was offering. "Tapping" the unit, by simply moving unsupported against it, is perfectly sufficient to cut the support.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You do have to dislodge a unit to break a convoy though, tapping will not do. That can be essential knowledge around the black sea area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.