Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Dungeon Lords» Forums » Rules

Subject: Meal Trap rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Blayze Lewis
United States
Wilmington
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay so I just got the game and we're all still struggling with the rules but having lots of fun. We've encountered some issues that the rules aren't clear on and so I'm looking for help. (I'm hoping I haven't missed them in the rule book)

1) Trap "poisoned meal" (Adventurer takes dmg equal to remaining hit points) Is the thief able to prevent this dmg or is the dmg considered a special effect? We find it a little hard to believe the thief could play doctor but then again maybe he has some Pepto Bismol in his pocket. We voted he could prevent dmg since that seems to be his role but i'd like to know what everyone else thinks.

2) In scoring you receive 2 points for "unconquered room" The question asked is that it just means Rooms and not Room and Tunnels. I argued that since in the titles it makes the distinction between Most Rooms and Most Tunnels that unconquered rooms means just rooms.

3) Assigning adventures. So say there are 4 adventurer tiles and 3 of the 4 are the same weak glyph but different adventures. An argument was made that when assigning the adventurers that the nicest dungeon lord should be able to pick from the 3, since they are all the same strength and the idea is the weakest should go to the nicest so shouldn't the dungeon lord choice which would be the easiest of the 3? I voted no because seeing the adventures ahead of time and in order gives you time to possibly change your evilness to avoid certain adventures, but sometimes it is unavoidable due to player order and ties on the evilometer (however i believe this to be much more difficult in a 2 player game), but again i'd like to hear some thoughts. Thanks, great game anyway I play it

--Blayze--


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan LaPointe
United States
New Albany
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) The thief is able to prevent damage from the poisoned meal. In fact, I believe that there is an example used in the rulebook of this very occurrence.

2) The points you are referring to are awarded for the rooms only.

3) There is no choice of adventurer. When your turn comes up to get an adventurer (based on your evil level), you get the next guy in line.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Furness
Australia
Monash
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Answers to your questions:

1. Yes - thief prevents damage. Think of it as thief recognising the fugu (or other poison) and warning the adventurer before he eats too much.

2. 2 points for rooms only. Explanation as you suspected.

3. Adventurers order is dictated by order they are drawn. No player choice allowed. Only change to order is based on weaker /stronger glyphs.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the game.

Edit: Must type quicker
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
Well me known for eating cookie when me don't they shout
badge
Look! He try to throw loyal fans a curve!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1. The thief yells out "Stop eating that" and prevents the last few bites of a poisonous meal from being ingested. Take the total hit points of the victim and subtract out the thief symbols in the party- this is the damage the adventurer suffers. The trap is much more effective on a full strength character than an injured one (the healthy one wolfs the meal down without thinking, while the injured one eats much more slowly).

2. It means just Rooms. Tunnels are tracked separately.

3. You are correct. They go out in the order they're drawn, and are assigned based on evilometer. It takes a little more work to manipulate your position- you can't just shoot to be Lord of Kissing Up To The Townsfolk.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Blayzerg wrote:
1) Trap "poisoned meal" (Adventurer takes dmg equal to remaining hit points) Is the thief able to prevent this dmg or is the dmg considered a special effect? We find it a little hard to believe the thief could play doctor but then again maybe he has some Pepto Bismol in his pocket. We voted he could prevent dmg since that seems to be his role but i'd like to know what everyone else thinks.
If it were a special effect, it would say it was a special effect, as it does on the Poisoned Dart. In fact, training scenario #2 specifically shows thieves preventing damage from "Poisoned Meal" -- it has a fighter with 4 hp with three tokens' worth of thieves. The fighter takes 4 points of damage, of which 3 are prevented by the thieves, leaving him taking just 1. (Quote from the rulebook: "Hey, put that down! It could be poisoned...you already took a bite, didn't you?")

Blayzerg wrote:
2) In scoring you receive 2 points for "unconquered room" The question asked is that it just means Rooms and not Room and Tunnels. I argued that since in the titles it makes the distinction between Most Rooms and Most Tunnels that unconquered rooms means just rooms.
Correct. Rooms are rooms, tunnels are not rooms.

Blayzerg wrote:
3) Assigning adventures. So say there are 4 adventurer tiles and 3 of the 4 are the same weak glyph but different adventures. An argument was made that when assigning the adventurers that the nicest dungeon lord should be able to pick from the 3, since they are all the same strength and the idea is the weakest should go to the nicest so shouldn't the dungeon lord choice which would be the easiest of the 3?
Nope. The nicest player gets the one at the back, not the one of his choice. It says right there in the rulebook, "You know you're getting good at this game when you can figure out ways to manipulate your standing on the Evilometer to get just the adventurers you want."
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elton Christianson
msg tools
mbmbmb
You got it right each time. When I was learning the rules, I also read the FAQ on the web site several times. It helped me grasp the rules faster.

I would disagree about the two player being more difficult in getting the adventurer you want. I know exactly where the NPC evil rating will be each turn. So I can always avoid the 1st or last adventurer in the queue.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blayze Lewis
United States
Wilmington
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone! It's sounds like I need to pour over the instructions a little more on new games. Glad people are very nice here and thank you all for your clarifications.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.