United States
Carlisle
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
XENON PROFITEER 2015!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've decided, after many games' research, that no one takes the speakeasy improvement card unless forced. It's like the ugly duckling of the entire deck, sticking out like a sore thumb and a groan.

Conversely, I've also noticed that no one is interested in taking control of the 1st speakeasy, and once someone does have control, no one cares. Again, it's the red-headed step-child of the speakeasy world and based entirely on luck.

So, in an attempt to improve both of these flailing aspects, I'm going to attempt this small fix in our next game and change two rules.

1. All Speakeasy Improvements add +2 to the amount that can be sold at a speakeasy per round.
2. There is no limit to the amount of Improvements a Speakeasy can have.

My reasoning is: I still won't want to pick the Speakeasy Improvement card (even with this addition), but I can at least extort some money from someone bidding for me to place it on their speakeasy, or if I have control of the smallest speakeasy, I could actually improve it to the point where it's worth having.

I'll post the results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Miller
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, while speakeasy improvements are rarely taken they're quite nice when you can use them and can make you a nice wad of cash. The second and third speakeasies are the best place for them. The second one needs an improvement to give you (the mobster with controlling interest) the insurance of being able to send a medium truck there and not worrying about whether it'll fully sell as well as an enticement for others to send a not-full truck there. The third already consumes enough to entice people to sell there, and if you manage to keep controlling interest, a speakeasy improvement encourages more.

As for the first speakeasy, how often do you run a truck to O'Malley's? For low muscle and getting in last to a good speakeasy or just having too many trucks and crates for your own speakeasy? It's a very cheap and very low-risk way to avoid O'Malley's and make double or triple the price.

I don't think the speakeasy improvements need to have their effect increased, but removing the limit on them doesn't sound like a bad idea. The good speakeasies don't need more than one (and those who want improvements on them probably have to focus on defense and influence rather than improvements), and the small ones could really benefit from multiples if their effect isn't increased.

I'm curious to see how it goes.

--ElSoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone Slothrop
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be interested to see how this works as well. When I play we do actually take the improvements sometimes, as the previous poster mentioned, if you control the second or third speakeasy they can be quite useful. That said, no limits on improvements might be interesting, though I would think that slightly diminishes the value of the bigger speakeasys. Please post up how this works out if you try it though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TC Petty III
United States
Carlisle
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
XENON PROFITEER 2015!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I never updated this thread. This rule has become a "house rule" for each session after we tried it the first time.

Out of three full games, this new rule only affected the game positively, and in two of the games made no noticeable impact on strategies. One of the games, there was a battle back and forth for the 1st speakeasy which had three improvements for a guaranteed 6 sales. Neither one of the players involved in the struggle won the game, but it did seem to create a new appreciation for the speakeasy improvement card.

Honestly, unless forced, I would still never take the card since almost anything is better. It's still weak, but it's a little less of an annoyance now. I heartily recommend trying it in your next play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rice
United States
LIHUE
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little confused -- the FIRST speakeasy is O'Malleys, which has unlimited consumption, and no player controls (it's run by the chief of police) -- they already buy all the whiskey you want to sell there...

Do you mean the SECOND speakeasy (Texas Lil's)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Winters
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
andy.rice@att.net wrote:
I'm a little confused -- the FIRST speakeasy is O'Malleys, which has unlimited consumption, and no player controls (it's run by the chief of police) -- they already buy all the whiskey you want to sell there...

Do you mean the SECOND speakeasy (Texas Lil's)?

As a frequent Bootlegger with The Crippled Werewolf, I believe he was indeed referencing the second speakeasy and not the free one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd call it the first speakeasy. I'd call the unlimited consumption speakeasy the 0th speakeasy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor O'Jibway

Michigan
msg tools
mb
I guess I totally misunderstood the Improvement rule... What our group did was just add 1 consumption dice per improvement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chivalrous1 wrote:
I guess I totally misunderstood the Improvement rule... What our group did was just add 1 consumption dice per improvement.

Actually, I just re-read the first post and it sounds like the original poster may have misinterpreted the rules, too. A speakeasy improvement...

* Doesn't add 1 consumption die per improvement.
* Doesn't add +1 to consumption per improvement.

According to the rulebook, each improvement adds +1 to each die. So on the first speakeasy (not O'Malleys), an improvement adds 1. On the third speakeasy (which has 3 consumption dice), an improvement adds 3... one to each die. Three improvements on the fourth speakeasy would be +12. Each improvement would add 1 to each die, for total of +12.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor O'Jibway

Michigan
msg tools
mb
FlyingArrow wrote:
Chivalrous1 wrote:

Actually, I just re-read the first post and it sounds like the original poster may have misinterpreted the rules, too. A speakeasy improvement...

According to the rulebook, each improvement adds +1 to each die. So on the first speakeasy (not O'Malleys), an improvement adds 1. On the third speakeasy (which has 3 consumption dice), an improvement adds 3... one to each die. Three improvements on the fourth speakeasy would be +12. Each improvement would add 1 to each die, for total of +12.

Going by that... wouldn't that only be +4?

Provided all Speakeasies are fully upgraded it would look like this...

O'Mallye's Unlimited Consumption
Texas Lil's has 1 Die with 1 improvement (d6+1)
Mother's Has 2 Dice with 2 improvements (2d6+2)
Barleycorn's has 3 dice and 3 improvements (3d6+3)
The Real McCoy's has 4 dice with 4 improvements (4d6+4)
Volstead Imports has 5 dice with 5 improvements (5d6+5)

If the speakeasy is not fully upgraded, replace with +n to represent the # of improvements...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chivalrous1 wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:
Chivalrous1 wrote:

If the speakeasy is not fully upgraded, replace with +n to represent the # of improvements...

No - each improvement adds 1 to EACH die.

Mother's Has 2 Dice with 2 improvements (2d6+4)
Barleycorn's has 3 dice and 3 improvements (3d6+9)
The Real McCoy's has 4 dice with 4 improvements (4d6+16)
Volstead Imports has 5 dice with 5 improvements (5d6+25)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor O'Jibway

Michigan
msg tools
mb
FlyingArrow wrote:
Chivalrous1 wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:
Chivalrous1 wrote:

No - each improvement adds 1 to EACH die.

Mother's Has 2 Dice with 2 improvements (2d6+4)
Barleycorn's has 3 dice and 3 improvements (3d6+9)
The Real McCoy's has 4 dice with 4 improvements (4d6+16)
Volstead Imports has 5 dice with 5 improvements (5d6+25)

Ok yes, after re-reading and refiguring... Those are the correct #'s. Sorry about the confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.