Popular Tags: [View All]
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems rather weak to me. You are spending an FP and 4 resources so that you can later on spend another FP and another resource to increase your popularity by one, which will only actually yield an extra FP about 1 in 3 turns. And then your opponent even gains something from it!

Here are some ideas. Any one of these may work --

Allow gifting of multiple resource cards with a single FP spent, so I can reclaim all of my popularity by giving away a chunk of resources all at once. I don't have to spend several FP to do it.

Lower the cost. Every tech costs 4 resources. Why not make this an exception? If it costed less, it would be worth considering as a cheap path to t3 tech even if it was seldom used.

Allow it to affect others negatively. If you give a resource to someone with more popularity, put your die on their popularity track rather than the resource box! Think of it as propaganda.

Make it a "trade." When you give a resource, you may demand something in return. It must be different resource from what you gave, if possible, and cannot be refused (but the recipient can choose what to give you in return). If he has no resources of a different type, he must show you.

Any of these may make foreign aid a more appealing tech. As it is, it just seems like an awfully inefficient use of resources to potentially gain a small number of extra FP throughout the course of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Earls
United States
Flower Mound
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it could be pretty cool, if playing with the end game variant provided. Over time, the FP's you get can assist you to get back into the game and retake your land.

I had the opportunity to purchase that once, but did pass on it because it was too late in the game for me to benefit by then.

Edit - One other thought, if you do this, and convince some others to do it, it could be beneficial for the WORLD against the zombie hoards. LOL zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Clautice
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it's not just FP, is it? Population is VP at the end of a game, and tactical population tweaks can affect the flow of zombies... (This is coming from someone who still hasn't received their copy, so it's purely theory...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wood4Sheep wrote:
Well, it's not just FP, is it? Population is VP at the end of a game, and tactical population tweaks can affect the flow of zombies... (This is coming from someone who still hasn't received their copy, so it's purely theory...)

Foreign aid increase your popularity, not your population. Popularity is only checked for victory if two player tie on population. I don't think anyone will get Foreign Aid just to try for a tie-breaker win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After my last game, I don't think Foreign Aid is quite so bad but it definitely doesn't feel like much of a tier 2 tech. It should probably move to tier 1 and change places with Red Cross or perhaps Vaccine.

On that note, Cannibalism is pretty unremarkable compared to other tier 3 techs. If a territory has that many zombies, there is probably little hope of reclaiming it without a nuke anyway. There are certainly situations in which zombies do excessive feeding and end up moving out to wreak havoc on neighboring territories, but this kind of thing happens early on in the game.

By the time you get around to research Cannibalism, you are either holding out in a few territories remaining and have probably got it adequately defended OR you have a big military and you are hunting down the zombies with special ops, and nukes are almost certainly better than Cannibalism.

The game is still perfectly enjoyable without the changes, I just think it might be an improvement. I still play Puerto Rico even though the University is useless, after all ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My brother proved me wrong. He used Quarantine to round up about 40 zombies by directing them with the quarantined areas, then used cannibalizing to wipe them all out and Cure to finish the survivors and reclaim the area all at once.

He had foreign aid early on which gave him enough FP to place his quarantines. It guess it makes sense to do it early as FP are more valuable late in the game than early on, so foreign aid is a long term investment.

The game kind of came down to a weird technicality. I noticed that the victory condition that checks your total population is only listed for the player elimination or airborne mutation endings. When two players achieve the eradication in the same turn, you don't compare population at all but proceed directly to the Popularity tie-breaker. We both achieved eradication at the same time (he with cannibalize-cure and me with strategically sending zombies over the border and curing the ones that were left behind) I had way more population than my brother but his popularity was maxed out because of the foreign aid. I could just not make up the difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wence the Wanderer
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
yeah i think cannibalism and cure seem to go hand in hand. they definitely benefit heavily from a quarantine/foreign aid t2, but i botched my t1. got sonic tech which i never once used, and evacuate which i used only once.

i think they have their uses, but for this particular tactic i wouldhave been much better off with razed borders or red cross.

very entertaining round all in all, and very close finish.

there may be some small amount of balancing needed for some of these techs, but only more play-testing will tell us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've ignored Foreign Aid in the past, but in my last game, when I was struggling for FP’s, the winner had 5 FP’s to work with at the end of game. Made the rest of us look silly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
Cannibalism seems pretty pointless since four zombies is still too many to reasonably deal with unless you have special ops or the Cure, both of which are high-tier techs. Contrast with Cure and Nuke which are useful pretty much regardless of the situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.