Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Ricochet Robot old edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Johan Ragnarsson
United States
Lund
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so I could have written this on the game pages... but I only have one journal entry so far.

I played Ricochet Robot a few more times the other week. And, as I only purchased the game recently, I have the new edition (only!). So I started feeling sorry for myself, and started wondering, is the old edition still available anywhere?

Or, could I save money by pretending it doesn't really add anything to the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Stuart
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
I don't think you'd need to pretend that the old version doesn't add anything.

It just doesn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malachi Brown
United States
Hermitage
TN
flag msg tools
It's turtles all the way down.
badge
“Questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself.”
mbmbmbmbmb
very little...
Only worry about getting the old edition if you become a RR nut and play the new one so much that you start to recognize the same patterns occuring in different board layouts. Bascically the old version has the same robots, the same chips, the same timer, and the same joiner for the boards. The difference is that the old version has different board sides, but none of them have the diagonal walls.

I own both, but I'm a RR nut. =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Johan Ragnarsson
United States
Lund
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, now that I managed to attract a RR nut to this thread...

If I want to make the puzzles more challenging, do you have any good ideas? (or anyone else for that matter) I downloaded and thought about some of the variations on the game page, but really, out of those 50-and-some variations, 45 or more seemed to just confuse a brilliantly simple idea.

Hmm, I thought about writing something about the variants here, but I think I will save it for the game page when I have something intelligble to write. Anyway, ideas are welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
similiar games
If you like RR, consider picking up Orbit (1993) also by Randolph, considered one of the precursors to RR. It's actually 3 in one games. The board and bits are absolutely de-lic-ous! One of the games can be played solitaire as well. There are a few copies for sale on the BGGM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Johan Ragnarsson
United States
Lund
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orbit?
Sorry, I don't get it. What makes Orbit and RR similar? I have looked at the BGG entry, looked again, and again, but I can't see any similarity. Would you mind going into a bit more detail on the similarity?

But then, if I had the money, I wouldn't mind picking up all Randolph games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orbit
You can download the rules here and read them for yourself, cause I'm at work and going from memory...
but all the games involve looking ahead to the movement of pieces to maximize your score or moving the pieces in the correct order to meet a goal number. For example you role the dice and get a 10. You have to figure out what pieces to move around the board (in orbit) to get the best score. I can't remember the 2nd game but the third one I tried a few solo rounds and it gives you anumber like 22 and you must figure out how to move the pieces to get that score against the timer (a cool red sand timer vs. plan old ordinary white) The bits are all wooden with nice colors and very tactilely (sp?) inviting. hope that helps...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malachi Brown
United States
Hermitage
TN
flag msg tools
It's turtles all the way down.
badge
“Questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself.”
mbmbmbmbmb
hmm...
By more challenging, do you mean more moves or more thought or something else?

One simple variant you could try is to flip two tokens at once and require the solution get both of them home.

Also, in the same family as Orbit are Corona and Moonstar. I recently got Moonstar for cheap (although it would be trivial to fabricate a version of the game) and it has a little bit more tension because the bidding isn't exact but has a strict one minute time limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
corona and moonstar
Actually these are included in the version of Orit I mentioned....I just couldn't remember teri names...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.