Subject: Simultaneous movement variant? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Dickinson
United States
Cherry Hill
New Jersey
flag msg tools
The sequential movement of practically all race games seems very artificial, and incurs a first-mover advantage.

Has anyone ever tried simultaneous movement Bolide? Each player could have a 5 x 5 grid behind a screen; everyone places a stone on their desired input, then all reveal and resolve.

I imagine that resolving crashes could be a hassle, but the payoffs of less downtime and greatly increased tension could be huge.

Any houghts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Daniels
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This could work. I'd imagine something like a 'Tailing Card' used in Canvas Eagles for drivers behind another driver as it would allow them a bit more 'reaction' time (say something like the ability to change their simul-move by a single square). You wouldn't even have to be as overt as a 'Tailing Card', just any player who is behind another player gets this option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Dickinson
United States
Cherry Hill
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Looking down the page here, I see that Zimeon has posted a variant with simultaneous movement! Off to check it out now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess you could use hidden choices for simultaneous movement too. You'd have to resolve the crashes though. Might prove to be yet another touch to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Dickinson
United States
Cherry Hill
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Since we do not own Bolide*, my son and I have been playing a bit of Racetrack (the public domain game which shares Bolide's central mechanic). I drew 5 x 5 grids on small pieces of paper, circling the central vertex to indicate "coasting/ momentum only". I also added an arrow to indicate North, and indicate North on the tracks we draw so we can align our movement grids properly.

We hide the grid behind one hand and place a Go stone on it at our desired input vertex for the turn, then simultaneously reveal and resolve.

We have ignored car-to-car crashes thus far to keep it relatively simple (he's only 6, after all). We allow three crashes into the wall, with restart at the nearest on-track vertex on the next turn.

The verdict: CRAZY FUN. No downtime. He always asks for another race, and runs around the house pretending to be a skidding go-kart.

I'd love to thear frome any Bolideers/ Racetrack aficionados who try the simultaneous hidden move variant.

Happy Racing!

-SteadyM

*I started my discussion in the Bolide forum since I thought it would be better known, thus more likly to elicit replies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thought I'd dig up this zombie thread, in case anyone is following. I've been playing Racetrack on paper and computer with 3x3 vertices movement (rather than Bolide's 5x5) for years. I just read Zimeon's alternative ruleset for Bolide, and am going to start trying that out with a homemade version.

One idea I have that I'm going to try out is to dump the inertia and destination tokens on the board completely.

Instead, each player will have a 15x15 grid (probably need to be smaller than the grid size used on the track), with North/South/East/West cardinal direction aligned to the track, and the corners rounded so vertices 8+ from the center are removed. You start with your destination marker placed in the center, and place your car on the starting line. Each turn, players simultaneously (and secretly if necessary) place their destination markers on one of the 21 surrounding spaces on their player grids (technically just 5 when starting from a stop). Players then reveal and simultaneously move their cards that many spaces N/S and E/W. Next turn, players again move their destination markers to the 21 legal spaces from where they were previously on their player grids, and move their card accordingly.

This methods removes having to move the other markers on the board - your player board will always designate exactly your vector for next turn. It also nicely prevents you from exceeding max speed of 7.5. My main concern is that it will be too much of a brain burn not having the inertia markers on the track and trying to visualize where you will be, but my hope is that it will force you to think more holistically than trying to count out exactly where you'll be in 1,2,3 turns.

I need to figure out which rules to use for collisions. I'm leaning towards the idea of the slower car (per their vector, not who gets there first) being forced to veer one space left or right, controlling player's choice, roughly perpendicular to its vector, rather than forcing a slow down or damage/180's/etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm… that is one way of resolving it, but it will remove the visualization for the other players on how fast the other cars are going.

And as you said, it might be harder to even visualize the speed of your own car.

You could keep the inertia tokens on the board, and use small boards for the destination tokens, that would make it less cluttered. However, that would remove the nifty way of limiting top speed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.