Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

maybe someone can help me out here - I am new to Runewars. Now, neutral armies seem to be somewhat "odd" OR I interpret the rules incorrectly somewhere....

Is it true that when you attack neutrals, a "rout" result will grant you that the mighty dragon or giant will NOT fight back? Assuming I move 6 triangle units into a dragon's hex, I should get one "rout" result (13% chance to get a rout on the triangles), i.e. that dragon will NOT fight back and be retreated later with absolutely NO losses on my side - is that true? I think it is and I will have to face it, but it still seems very odd to have these mighty creatures on the board doinf nothing, as they get routed all the time???? And even if the dragon DOES fight back, the maximu it will kill is three of my units, so, by moving at least 5 units in, am I guaranteed a withdrawl by the dragon?????

Thanks

Mixo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateo jurasic
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
thats true. Except you are not sending 5 guys at one dragon, you are sending five armies/battalions/regiments of archers, knights, zombies, warriors, sorceres what have you at the dragon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing to note about the Neutrals is that the standing units on the board aren't meant to be "battled" necessarily; they CAN be, but their dynamics go beyond just fight-or-join. Sometimes it takes time to get them to join, as they may be more likely to relocate than to get involved in the conflict.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
sigmazero13 wrote:
The thing to note about the Neutrals is that the standing units on the board aren't meant to be "battled" necessarily; they CAN be, but their dynamics go beyond just fight-or-join. Sometimes it takes time to get them to join, as they may be more likely to relocate than to get involved in the conflict.

I agree with this totally. I will often attempt Diplomacy actions on the off chance I get lucky and grab new units for my armies, but am usually just hoping to push the neutrals away, gaining control of additional resources and creating a buffer zone between myself and my enemies--it creates an interesting tactical situation if you can do it right and wall yourself in with neutrals; your opponent will need to encounter and even possibly fight a pile of giants and dragons and sorcerers before he can attack you. Course, it can also backfire...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Bulacz
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixo wrote:
... Assuming I move 6 triangle units into a dragon's hex, I should get one "rout" result (13% chance to get a rout on the triangles), i.e. that dragon will NOT fight back and be retreated later with absolutely NO losses on my side ...
You will have no losses now, but wait till winter and if you do not have enough food then you will suffer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexey Bobrov
Russia
Novosibirsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MScrivner wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:

I agree with this totally. I will often attempt Diplomacy actions on the off chance I get lucky and grab new units for my armies, but am usually just hoping to push the neutrals away, gaining control of additional resources and creating a buffer zone between myself and my enemies--it creates an interesting tactical situation if you can do it right and wall yourself in with neutrals; your opponent will need to encounter and even possibly fight a pile of giants and dragons and sorcerers before he can attack you. Course, it can also backfire...

.. like your opponent entering that buffer zone, getting those giants, dragons and what not to join him and drive your forces back till they fall off your gaming table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateo jurasic
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I had the same raaction when I first played this game...
Neutrals seemed like pushovers and heroes seemed detached.
As I played more games I realized that the heroes are hugely important and well designed, and that the game is NOT about killing dragons and other neutrals, and as such, the neutrals are, appropriately, a small part of the game.,

If you want to increase the importance/strength of the dragons and giants, just house reule that each rout inflicted on one of these units counts as a wound instead, and make it so they dont ever retreat, and that will give them the strength you desire. O
f course, it will also make a hex with multiple dragons or giants a very scary thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bonaparte
United States
DesMoines
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pabula wrote:
Mixo wrote:
... Assuming I move 6 triangle units into a dragon's hex, I should get one "rout" result (13% chance to get a rout on the triangles), i.e. that dragon will NOT fight back and be retreated later with absolutely NO losses on my side ...
You will have no losses now, but wait till winter and if you do not have enough food then you will suffer

This has nothing to do with the OP's point that neutrals are pretty much neutered. Why have dragons and giants if they pose almost no threat to a small group of units? Why not have imps and gnomes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
That's not their point in this game; sure, a small group could get them to retreat, but add them to your army backed by cannon fodder? They are nasty, nasty and hard to take down.

IE, if truly "neutral", they aren't really all that inclined to get involved. They may get mad and fight you, or they may just decide to leave the area, but they aren't just there as "wandering monsters bent on killing anything that approaches".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.