Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Hot Damn! Finally got my Essen 04 photos up. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes folks, despite being very very ill, I have managed to put up 4 pages of photos from Essen 04.
http://www.tragsnart.co.uk/travelhub/essen2004/essen2004a.ht...

I notice from my weblog that many users don't go beyond page 1 or 2. Why is that? Are they just too dull?
Cheers,
Jon.

ps. it's just the flu, I'll survive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Shepherd
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.
mb
Jon,

Thanks for letting those of us who live too far away from Essen "experience" it vicariously through you! This wasn't as good as being there, but it sure was cool!!

Great pics. Looks like pirates may be the new theme du jour, how cool is that? Did you get to play any of those? Piracy looked especially good...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice, nice pictures! It's nice to see some pictures of different games, rather than just the "big ones".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyman Hurd
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Elephant
Cool pictures. What do people know about this Black Elephant game (page 1)? Looks intriguing. I see it has an entry (no pictures!) but nobody seems to have rated it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Vogt

Berlin
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great pics!!!

What is this New York game about? Couldn't find it in BGG...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
Excellent photos. Thanks for letting those of us who couldn't attend experience some of the fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Elephant
The rules are available online in the press section of LudoArt website. There is also a hi-res photo of an inferior specimen of the game (although the workmanship here is a bit off). There probably aren't many people playing the game due to the vast cost.

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cheers
Tim wins. I liked Saint Petersburg and bought it despite being thrashed. I already liked Karibik and got it for €14. I liked Goldbrau and will probably buy it, but it's not that fantastic. I enjoyed Pompejj although it's quite negative, killing the other player's people, but I will get it. I really liked Nasenspiel and the other Prestel games, but they are pricey. Schatten der Kaisirs is interesting, especially the aging barons, but it's a tad heavy and needs english rules. And Flandern was a surprising game which got better the more it went along. Einfach Genial was easy, Dis Rios was good, Candamir was a solo game for 4 players, we quit after 2.5 hours only half through. YES, or rather Y€$ was absolute sh*te, an unbelievably bad game. 5th Avenue was okay but an auction game.

There were a lot of Pirate games, not forgetting the Pirates of the Spanish Maine were big at the show. Piracy was an obvious game. You move your ship around, encounter other ships, rob them and get the loot back to base. You have a sheet to show your sails, guns, reputation, food, treasure. Your fearsome rep adds to your guns and the victim ships are on cards with similar numbers. Roll dice to see if they can escape by sailing faster, then a gun battle and the winner steal the loot. The ports have a defensive value and a red and blue dice to show guns and food, making attacking the a little dicey. Winner is first to 40 VPs, but you could easily shorten this. The nice thing was the game is in English/German and there are 40+ missions to gain more VPs, such as killing a certain enemy or taking slaves for a plantation. The english was well written and brutal. Piracy is a good pirate sim if you like that.

The New York game was called Kings Of New York. When I get some more info, I'll add it, but the guy didnt have any flyers. There are 300 plastic pieces, and each player operates a gang around NY, in all the boroughs, not just Manhattan. You have a Boss and thugs, hitmen, goons, limos, helicopters, speed boats, police protection etc. The idea is that when your gang is grouped in one borough, they are safe from attack, but when they are spread out, they are easier to kill. But they only earn money from the boroughs when they are spread out. You start with a small gang and recruit more. Kill a boss and you control his goons. There are simple charts, and dice and very good rules diagrams so you can start playing very quickly. I forget the price but it seemed good value considering the pieces (the rotor blades spin very well). If you want a gang war in NY, this is a good game.

I wish I'd taken better photos. We kept meeting at the Kosmos stand, hence all the pictures there. But if you look at the previous years, it's much the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyman Hurd
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Elephant
Thanks Michael. Found them at:

http://www.ludoart.de/html/frames/deu/main/frame_presse.htm

I also noted the price as a hundred Euros...urf.

Wonder if they'll sell any!

Lyman

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.