Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Damaged games in the mail today (pissed off rant) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was so excited to see two boxes had come for me in the mail today with games in them!

First one was a trade. Game is in pretty bad shape. I guess I should have asked more questions about it's condition. Oh well I didn't spend a lot on the traded game or the shipping so I'm going to just chalk this one up to being a dumb deal and remind everyone to ask lots of questions about your trades!!

But what really frosted me today is I got my shipment from GMT games today with two copies (one to keep, one to trade) of Paths of Glory freshly reprinted and brand new. BOTH ARE DAMAGED!! What's worse one looks like it was crushed in shipping and the other has black marking on the box under the shrinkwrap - done before it was wrapped!!

I called GMT's 800# and left a message to call me on my cell. I'll email them as well, and let you all know what happens.

In the meantime, I could really use a beer. Grrr!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Shepherd
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.
mb
I feel your pain. I was recently similarly rooked on eBay. Wizard's Quest with a torn board, and a pretty musty smell attached. The shipping was half of what I was charged, and it was wrapped in nothing but a sheet of brown paper, TAPED TO THE BOX!!! Oh the humanity!

As far as GMT goes, that is inexcusable. Please keep us posted on how they handle it, because I was planning on getting PoG as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Kestering
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
me too
I got today two games I bought here.
I felt like - do I get sick if I touch them?
Described as very good but stains, split corners, dented box, bad smell, chocolat and parts sticking togehter!!!!!
GRrrrrrrrrrrr Sarah

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people really like chocolate I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
That's not chocolate. Some people really enjoy using their games as asswipe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Stanton
United States
Paoli
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure GMT will make it right. Just take deep breaths.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stimson
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GMT BOXES
It seems like many games I get from GMT are less than perfect. Frequently slightly caved in (with perceptable creases). Other will have corners dented. I never even thought to try to get GMT to replace them, but I open and played them all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if it was just one of the two I would have let it go. But since it was both I feel I have to say something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Harsh!
That sucks. eBay is far sketchier than here, but as Nate says: "Ask lots of questions". Amd I've gotten the "grocery bag" as shipping box treatment before as well. Sucks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
kaysville
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sucks
That all sucks.....btw I got my Paths of Glory today and it is perfect....hehe. I am sure they will take care of it though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Richardson
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Treat Yourself Right
Make it a good local microbrew.

In your case, I'd say something from the Lucky Lab.

>>>In the meantime, I could really use a beer. Grrr! <<<

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel your pain buddy. A ordered from a very reliable online source: Power Grid, Goldland, St. Petersburg and Hansa. FedEx crushed the box. Yes, FedEx. And they delivered it crushed, which they're not allowed to do. All four boxes were damaged inside the carton. It looked like someone had sat on the shipping box. It took a month to get it all straightened out. FedEx was so uncooperative at every step of the process, I couldn't even believe it.

The box for Power Grid had been dented in halfway by the St. Pete box. They were nesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroscape
I got two games yesterday, too! Sounds like a (mostly) good day in the Geek world! They were both Heroscape (we got the rest of our two for one games in person at Toys R Us). For some reason Amazon broke them into two packages, but they shipped the same day and arrived the same day. (The estimated delivery dates were different, though. )

My wife said that the boxes looked fine from the outside. Since today is my son's seventh birthday, we'll get to see the games tonight! Not sure if we'll keep both or have one for trade bait. We'll "have" to try the game first! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Re: Trades and shipping
First, my heart goes out to Sarah Kestering; she's an excellent trader and doesn't deserve someone else's junk.

Second -- I have received the "Grocery Bag" treatment on more than one game and it has pissed me off to no end. My copy of Axis and Allies has a big hole in the box that wasn't there when it left the shipper's home all because he couldn't be bothered to package it better. angry I get even more up in arms about this when the seller has charged above the cost for Priority Mail, but then ships in something than the Priority Mail boxes! For Chris'sakes, they're free, and the USPS will even deliver them to your door! (from usps.gov)

And C), I now tell all of my sellers that I would like the item packaged well and for them to mark the outside of the box "DO NOT CRUSH" I can't say this has definitively helped, but my last dozen or so games have come without further damage drama.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve H
United States
Addison
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GMT has a proven track record
Hopefully the wait from GMT to reply will not be long. I ordered 8thAF from them way back when and found a couple o cards missing and they replied to my email within 24 hours and within a week I received a complete deck.

Keep up the positive vibes and let us know how they respond meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
Frankly, I'm amazed at all the stories here of receiving games packaged badly, or not at all (i.e., the grocery bag treatment). I guess there are enough sellers out there who aren't collectors like the rest of us are; otherwise, they'd take greater care in packaging their materials.

I've only received a handful of games that were packaged poorly, and once I even received a game in a Priority Mail box that was torn and dinged up QUITE badly. The components were fine, and I confirmed with the seller that it was in perfect shape when she sent it. In the end, I decided not to take it up with USPS -- it was just Time Pirates, after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
I mailed two games to myself today. One was a copy of the Scooby-Doo Trivia Game (Genius Edition) and the other was Puffy Puffy Princesses. I just walked outside and shoved them in the mailbox, went back inside, and then pretended that I had heard the mail truck and went skipping out to get my new games.

When I opened the mailbox I was completely flabbergasted. First of all, they weren't wrapped at all! The stupid idiot had stuck mailing labels right on the box covers! In addtion, he had written "FRAGILE" and "MAILMAN: THIS IS A GAME, DO NOT LOSE PIECES" on the covers in thick black magic marker.

Worse was yet to come when I got the games inside. First of all, one of the puffy princesses was missing and the other was bent, possibly chewed. The fairy wings had a stain on them that looked and smelled like motor oil, and the board had clearly been sat on. The trivia game was even worse: the correct answers were circled on all the question cards! Sometimes with exclamation points! What the hell is that about? How do you play a trivia game when the correct answers are circled on the questions? The guy had also drawn little nipples on the Thelma cardboard cutout.

I sent the stupid idiot an e-mail, and on top of being a dumbass he was also a jerk. This is the interchange, or as much of it as I can stomach cutting and pasting:

Gola--

I got the games in the mail today. Are you some kind of idiot? They're trashed! Pieces are missing! The boxes smell funny! You put the postage directly on the covers! What the hell is the matter with you? I want a refund.

Gola

--------------------------------------------------------------

Gola--

The boxes were fine when they left my house. The components are in the condition that I had indicated.

Thank you for your business.

Gola

------------------------------------------------------------

Gola--

You've got to be kidding me! You said these games were "like new" and they're totally fucking trashed! Are you out of your mind, you cretin?!? You didn't even tape the boxes shut when you mailed them! I want my four dollars back, jerkoff.

Gola

-------------------------------------------------------------

Gola--

I can't be responsible for any damage that may occur during transit. I asked you if you wanted insurance and you said no. I think my responsibility ends there.

All sales are final, nut sack.

Gola

-----------------------------------------------------------

Gola--

Are you suggesting that it was the mailmen who opened the boxes and circled all the right answers on the Scooby-Doo cards?

Gola

----------------------------------------------------------

Gola--

Maybe. I don't know what mailmen do in their spare time.

Thanks again for your business.

Gola

Gola--

How about if just come over there and beat the living snot out of you, punk? I know where you live. I know which shitty car you drive. By the way, how about cutting your lawn once in a blue moon, you stupid waste of space? Is that so damn hard? Or are you conducting some kind of botany experiment, you crapulous bag of festering monkey squirt?

Gola

Gola--

Look, just go play your stupid games, okay? The puffy princesses are waiting for you.

Check my profile for more trade items!

Gola

---------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately it just goes on like that for about nine more pages. What can I say? Some people are jerks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talked to GMT today
They're going to mail me a box to replace one, and a shrinkwrapped whole game to replace the other that I'll be sending back to them. I forget the lady's name but she was very pleasant and I am fully confident that I will be taken care of, unlike Gola.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.