Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

I'm currently in the process of re-imagining all 17 characters from the BSG base game and Pegasus, and I was looking for some feedback on this work-in-progress. Although for the most part I think that most of the original characters are fine, here are the reasons I felt the need for a bit of a re-dux:

- To bring some of the abilities more in-line with the Razor Cut ruleset.

- To re-adjust the theme in some places where I felt it was a little "off".

- To increase the usefulness of some under-powered abilities (and vice-versa).

- To make some non-OPG abilities more equally useful for both humans and Cylons.

- To make the Cylon Leaders feel all the more "different" from lowly human characters.

- To create synergies between characters who had especially strong relationships in the show.

- Just 'cos.

So here's what I have so far. Some of these are incomplete, and I will add notes to explain my design choices for some (all characters keep their original skill sets).

Oh, and also, some of these ideas are pilfered from elsewhere on these boards (though maybe not used in these combinations before). So if you want to put your hand up and say "that's mine", go right ahead. If you want to put your hand up my nose and rip out my brain for copying, you can do that too.

Anyway:

Helena Cain

Intolerant - When an “Admiral’s Quarter’s” skill check is passed with a 10 or more, you may choose to execute that character instead of sending him to the “Brig”.

Same as original - one of the few skills I didn't change!

Blind Jump - Action: Once per game, if at 6 or less distance, the fleet marker is on a red space and you are the Admiral, draw 3 civilian ships and destroy them to immediately jump the fleet; shuffle the destination deck and draw only 1 destination card.

All three characters who are highest in their respective lines of succession now have both abilities and drawbacks that relate directly to them holding their respective titles. The intention is to cause division among the players as to whether they should retain those titles or not.

Bent on Revenge - While you are the Admiral, the “FTL Control” location may not be activated by any player.

Cain's new ability and drawback now cancel out, meaning that the humans cannot gain a huge distance advantage at very little cost.

William Adama

Command Authority - During your turn, before cards in any skill check are revealed, you may choose for all strength 1 cards to count positive or negative.

Now works on any skill check rather than just those from crisis cards, and allows him to "command" the cards to be either positive or negative.

Inspirational Leader - Once per game, after resolving a skill check, instead of discarding the used Skill Cards, draw them into your hand.

Same as original (though notice the titles of the two abilities have swapped).

Emotionally Attached - You may not choose an option on a Crisis Card that results in a character being executed or sent to the “Brig”.

Intended to temper the "free" executions handed out by crisis cards. Is also mechanically similar to Lee Adama's drawback (implying the familial resemblance).

Saul Tigh

Cylon Hatred - When a player activates the “Admiral’s Quarters”, “Airlock” or “Resistance HQ” locations, you may choose to reduce the difficulty by 3. Whenever a "Resistance HQ" skill check is passed, you may also choose to destroy all Occupation Forces at a single location.

Modified to include Resistance HQ and Airlock, and include the ref to occupation forces.

Martial Law - Action: Once per game, give the President title to the Admiral.

Same as original.

Alcoholic - When you are forced to discard Skill Cards, you must discard randomly.

Seemed more thematically appropriate, and stronger to account for the increased usefulness of his regular ability.

Helo

ECO - While piloting a raptor, you may choose for the effect of any “Run Interference” Skill Card played by any player to instead affect all raiders in your space area and/or any adjacent space areas.

Suffice to say, raptors may be piloted using new Razor Cut rules.

Moral Compass - Once per game, after a player makes a choice on a Crisis Card, you may change it.

Same as original.

Sleeping with the Enemy - While there is exactly one character in the “Brig” location, you must discard a card to move between locations.

Synergy with Athena's drawback.

Laura Roslin

Skilled Politician - Whenever you draw a Quorum card using the “President’s Office” location, draw 2 and choose 1 to keep. Place the other on the bottom of the Quorum deck.

Religious Visions - Action: Once per game, take the Destiny Deck into your hand. Do not add cards from the Destiny Deck into any skill checks until the start of your next turn.

Progressive Illness - In order to activate a location, you must first discard Skill Cards with total strength equal to or greater than the number of Destination Cards in play.

Gaius Baltar

Selfishly Motivated - At the end of any skill check in which you contributed at least 2 Skill Cards, you may draw 1 Skill Card of your choice from your Skill Set.

The idea is that the Baltar player will prefer to either play at least 2 cards to get one back, or none at all (so that he can play at least 2 on a later skill check). Also, there is synergy with Caprica Six's ability.

OPG - ???

Needs a new OPG. Haven't thought of one yet.

Untrustworthy - You start the game with 3 Loyalty Cards (instead of 2).

Basically same as original, modified to account for Razor Cut rules.

Tom Zarek

Friends in Low Places - When a player activates the “Administration”, “Airlock” or “Brig” locations, you may choose to reduce or increase the difficulty by 2.

Updated to include the "Airlock" location.

Unconventional Tactics - Action: Once per game, lose 1 population to gain 1 of any other resource type, or execute a character to gain 2 of the lowest resource.

Updated to include an execution option.

Convicted Criminal - You may not activate locations occupied by other human characters (except the “Brig” and “Detention” locations).

Updated to include "Detention".

Ellen Tigh

Politically Adroit - When you end your Movement Step in the same location as another player, you may give that player 1 Skill Card from your hand to draw 2 Skill Cards of your choice from his Skill Set.

Now only allows you to draw cards from the target player's skill set. More thematic, and adds a bit more thought to who you should move to.

Manipulative - Once per game, at the start of any player’s Action Step, you may take any Title Card. Return that title to its proper owner at the end of the current player’s turn.

Changed to allow you to take a title during any player's turn, making the ability a bit more useful.

Nothing But Trouble - You may not use text abilities of Treachery cards. Treachery cards you discard are given to the Admiral (instead of being discarded or added to the Destiny Deck).

Seeing as the drawing of treachery isn't exactly a drawback (especially with Razor Cut rules), this was the best I could come up with (basically, the treachery cards leave her control). Also, synergy with Saul's drawback.

Apollo

Alert Viper Pilot - When a viper is placed in a space area from the “Reserves,” you may choose to pilot it and take 1 action. You may only do this when you are on a Galactica location, excluding the “Brig.”

Same as original.

CAG - Action: Once per game, if you are the CAG, you may activate each unmanned viper on the board up to 2 times (including those in the “Reserves”).

Similar to original, though doesn't allow a one-viper air force to clean up the board (and again, is dependant on holding the CAG title - see the files section for that variant card).

Headstrong - When a Crisis Card presents you with a choice, you must always choose the first option (if able).

The first option on crisis cards is often a skill check which offers a greater range of risk/reward, which seems more in line with Lee's character. (Also, about 1/3 of the "XXX chooses" crisis events in my deck have been replaced with "CAG chooses").

Starbuck

Expert Pilot - When you end your Action Step piloting a viper, you may take 1 additional action.

Changed to make it a little more useful (no more jumping the fleet before she gets another turn) and eliminates the "Starbuck's giving a press speech again" loophole.

Secret Destiny - Once per game, immediately after a crisis card is revealed, discard it. Then draw the top 3 cards from the Crisis Deck and choose 1 to resolve instead (place the other 2 on the bottom of the Crisis Deck).

Changed to help prevent the second crisis drawn being "worse" (whichever side you're on) than the first.

Insubordinate - When you are targetted by “Executive Order”, you must discard 1 Skill Card.

Original drawback was incredibly situational, so changed to this which also helps counter-balance her new regular ability.

Athena

Recon - Action: While piloting a raptor, risk your raptor to roll a die. If 3 or higher, look at the top 2 cards of the Crisis or Destination deck, then place 1 on the top of the deck and 1 on the bottom. Otherwise, destroy your raptor.”

Prevents the Boomer-in-the-Brig exploit. Plus, more thematic (and encourages some pilots to use raptors rather than vipers.

Cylon Virus - Action: Once per game, if not in the “Brig” location, destroy all raiders in a single space area or move the fleet marker one space back on the jump prep track.

Known Cylon - When you activate the “Brig” location, the difficulty is increased by 2.

Setup: Brig

Note that both of Athena's abilities require her to be out of the Brig to use.

Kat

Hotshot - When making an attack while piloting a viper, you may discard a skill card instead of rolling the die. Use the card’s strength +3 instead of the die roll.

Prevents Kat being used as the best FTL Control operator in the game, and more useful for damaging heavy raiders/basestars.

Sacrifice - Once per game, when the fleet jumps while you are piloting a raptor, you may execute yourself to draw and choose Destination Cards instead of the Admiral (draw 3 Destination Cards instead of 2).

More in theme with what she actually did in the show.

Stim Junkie - At the end of your Action Step, if you are in the same location or space area that you were in at the start of your turn, you are moved to “Sickbay.”

Errata corrected.

Chief

Deck Chief - When you play a “Repair” or “Jury Rigged” Skill Card, you may draw 1 Engineering card.

To include the Jury Rigged card (and just 'cos).

Blackbird - Action: Once per game, you may repair a destroyed viper to look at the top 4 cards of the Crisis Deck then place each of them on the top or bottom of the deck in any order.

Never felt "Blind Devotion" was particularly a trait of the chief's and never really felt the theme of his ability was particularly strong. This is my take.

Identity Crisis - When any other player is sent to the “Brig” location, you are moved to “Sickbay”.

Again, "Reckless" not a trait of the Chief's. Attempted suicide - right on.

Dee

Comms Expert - When you activate the “Communications” location, you may look at up to 4 civilian ships on the game board and move any number of them.

Always felt being able to move *all* ships was a little over-powered. Tempered a little here.

Promotion - Action: Once per game, if distance is 4 or more, choose any one skill to permanently add to your Skill Set.

As with the Chief, "Fast Learner" didn't really jump out at me in the show. Similar ability here, but I feel more thematic.

Emotionally Fragile - When morale is reduced to 2 or less, you are executed. If you are human, do not draw a new Loyalty Card or Agenda Card.

Updated for Razor Cut.

Cavil

Primacy - Immediately after basestars activate, if you are at the "Cylon Fleet" location, you may either add or remove a basestar anywhere on the board. If you add a basestar, the CAG must also place 1 civilian ship anywhere on the board.

When raiders activate, you may choose 1 raider on the board (except Scar) and decide how it activates (move or attack). If you decide to move the raider, you may move it in either direction.

Cylon Leaders no longer follow the same mould of regular/OPG as the human characters do. They now have one "uber-ability" that in some way "takes control" of a certain aspect of the game. Cavil's ability, obviously, takes control of the Cylon fleet.

I also wanted each Cylon leader to feel very different in gameplay. In the show, I felt that each CL represented a different aspect of humanity, and I wanted to reflect this in the game. Cavil represents anger and aggression.


Number One - Whenever a basestar is destroyed, you are moved to the “Resurrection Ship” location and must discard your entire hand.

Caprica Six

Intimacy - While you are in a location that is occupied by exactly 1 other human character, you may play a number of additional Skill Cards into any skill check equal to the number of cards that character has played into the skill check.

Caprica "takes control" of skill checks. The intention is that she will have to negotiate with the player whose space she shares as to how many cards are played into the skill check (or not). This will obviously involve Caprica trying to build a trusting relationship with the humans. The fact that her ability is useless if the character she is with plays cards after her is intentional, designed to prevent her from just parking next to one person the whole game (i.e, Gaius).

Conflicted - At the start of the game, you are dealt 2 Agenda Cards (you may fulfil either agenda to win). When distance reaches 4 or more, randomly return 1 of your agendas to the box.

Idea being that Caprica doesn't know exactly what her objective is till the half-way point.

Leoben Conoy

Prophecy - At the start of every Crisis Card skill check, you may look at 1 random Skill Card dealt from the Destiny Deck (you may not share this information with other players). Then, if there is at least 1 other human character at your location, you may state whether the card counts positive or negative for the check.

Leoben "takes control" of the Destiny Deck.

Elusive - When you end your turn infiltrating in a location shared by at least 1 other human player (except the "Brig"), you are moved to the “Human Fleet” location.

Players can try to pump Leoben for information, but then he quickly disappears.

Anyway, thoughts? Ideas?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I stopped at Adama being able to retroactively call for 1s to be negative every turn. I commented on that the last time it showed up, but in case you missed it, I think that's too OP and out of line with all but the strongest OPG abilities (in that it can be used after cards are added to a skill check). I'll try to come back and read more later, but I'm busy now.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
InfoCynic wrote:
I stopped at Adama being able to retroactively call for 1s to be negative every turn. I commented on that the last time it showed up, but in case you missed it, I think that's too OP and out of line with all but the strongest OPG abilities (in that it can be used after cards are added to a skill check). I'll try to come back and read more later, but I'm busy now.


Not EVERY turn - HIS turn.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, not much chance I will use these, but I enjoy reading them anyway and you have some good ideas. I just read Helo's and then checked out Athena; you have an interesting definition of "synergy"!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Balance comments:

Most of these characters' normal abilities are in line with the crappy normal abilities in the original BSG. That's fine, though personally I prefer them to be a bit stronger.

However, Baltar's ability is pretty overpowered. If you stick to never playing more (or less) than 2 cards into a check, you are effectively DOUBLING the number of cards you get to add to checks, which is nuts. Even if you stick to playing 3 cards on average into checks (and never just 1), which is really easy, it's like you're drawing 50% more cards for skill checks. I'm assuming he still just has a 4-card skill set, since you didn't specify skill sets, but even so his ability is too strong even for the original game.

With Apollo, his drawback makes it so he's the worst president ever (losing food instead of discarding). If you don't mind that, I guess it's fine.

Apollo/Starbuck/Athena appear to have more average-strength (better) normal abilities (but Kat's is bad).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm inclined to agree about Baltar. Perhaps it should read that Baltar must play EXACTLY 2 cards. This means that taking full advantage of his ability will probably require him to be less efficient or less effective on many skill checks than he would want (after all, typically players take an "all or nothing" approach to skill checks, especially near the end).

I still think my idea for Baltar's OPG "Live Among the Cylons" has potential, but it would require a lot of tinkering.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it's down to playstyles, but we tend to try to share the skill check burden fairly equally lest the cylons be able to accumulate too much power while the humans expend all their strength. As such everyone tends to play about 1-2 cards, most of the time. Baltar would just always do 2.

Maybe if it was 3+ cards, he'd be fair. But it would still be pretty player-number dependent (possibly too strong in 3-player) and also combine a bit too well with card drawing abilities.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SevenSpirits wrote:
Hey, not much chance I will use these, but I enjoy reading them anyway and you have some good ideas. I just read Helo's and then checked out Athena; you have an interesting definition of "synergy"!


Well, I didn't know what the proper word was. "Interaction"?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
InfoCynic wrote:
I stopped at Adama being able to retroactively call for 1s to be negative every turn. I commented on that the last time it showed up, but in case you missed it, I think that's too OP and out of line with all but the strongest OPG abilities (in that it can be used after cards are added to a skill check). I'll try to come back and read more later, but I'm busy now.


Not EVERY turn - HIS turn.


Still too strong. Compare Chief's original OPG or Six's original OPG for changing things in a check after cards have been played. Imagine how strong this is with an IC. Assume that groups like mine play an IC on every check that you're actually going to try to pass.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SevenSpirits wrote:
Balance comments:

Most of these characters' normal abilities are in line with the crappy normal abilities in the original BSG. That's fine, though personally I prefer them to be a bit stronger.


I thought I did make most of them stronger (a bit)!

SevenSpirits wrote:
However, Baltar's ability is pretty overpowered. If you stick to never playing more (or less) than 2 cards into a check, you are effectively DOUBLING the number of cards you get to add to checks, which is nuts. Even if you stick to playing 3 cards on average into checks (and never just 1), which is really easy, it's like you're drawing 50% more cards for skill checks. I'm assuming he still just has a 4-card skill set, since you didn't specify skill sets, but even so his ability is too strong even for the original game.


I quite like this ability though, so I'd rather change his drawback than change the ability (I'm already thinking his drawback needs changing, as getting more loyalty cards isn't *really* a drawback). I'll give it a try to see how it goes, though - it may be in reality that Baltar ends up having to play cards into checks that don't trigger his ability, or he ends up playing cards for their text abilities so that the ability doesn't trigger that often.

Or I could change it to something like "at the end of the skill check, if you played 2+ cards, take one 1-strength card from the check back into your hand"...?

SevenSpirits wrote:
With Apollo, his drawback makes it so he's the worst president ever (losing food instead of discarding). If you don't mind that, I guess it's fine.


Not a great CAG either.

SevenSpirits wrote:
Apollo/Starbuck/Athena appear to have more average-strength (better) normal abilities (but Kat's is bad).


Kat's why?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
InfoCynic wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
InfoCynic wrote:
I stopped at Adama being able to retroactively call for 1s to be negative every turn. I commented on that the last time it showed up, but in case you missed it, I think that's too OP and out of line with all but the strongest OPG abilities (in that it can be used after cards are added to a skill check). I'll try to come back and read more later, but I'm busy now.


Not EVERY turn - HIS turn.


Still too strong. Compare Chief's original OPG or Six's original OPG for changing things in a check after cards have been played. Imagine how strong this is with an IC. Assume that groups like mine play an IC on every check that you're actually going to try to pass.


How about "you may choose not to play any cards into the check to make all 1-value cards count positive or negative"...? He gives the orders, he doesn't do the work...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How does the new skill set work in Dee's Promotion?

Perhaps: "Each turn, you may replace exactly one of your tactics card draws with the chosen skill."

Cavil's drawback could be intense but it's an interesting tradeoff I suppose. I just think that adding more basestars is like a giant bullseye saying "send me to the res ship" which is very painful. You could wind up spending most of the game in the res ship => worse than sickbay and have 0 interaction with other players' turns because you have no cards, ever. And this not by your own fault -- crises can add basestars and humans can and often will destroy these (esp w/ Razor Cut threatening to actually destroy Galactica).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
I don't understand why Adama's ongoing ability is considered so broken now. If you committed sabotage during your turn, then everyone will know you're a Cylon and won't be relying on 1's anyhow, and if you didn't commit sabotage during your turn, then you're essentially doing the equivalent of blatantly spiking a Skill Check as your reveal, which doesn't seem game-breaking - any character with Skill Cards to spare can do it, and several characters - most notably Boomer, Tyrol, and Caprica Six - can do similar reveals, except that theirs can't even be stopped by Brigging.

Sure, maybe as a reveal it's comparable to an OPG. That's fine. A reveal turn is something you're only going to get once per game regardless of where the power you're using is printed on your character card.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also have Adama's ability only be usable on skill checks involving Leadership, but it seems a bit to "hit or miss" then since he may never draw a crisis with that kind of skill check (even though that's most of them). It would still be usable for Admiral's Quarters and Administration, but not for the Brig.

Making it pickier about which crises it affects while allowing it to affect those two skill checks may make it comparable to the original, while giving him the option to make it negative is simply a much-needed change to make Adama halfway-decent as a cylon.

Practically every other character's ability can be used for cylon purposes. Adama and Chief are the only ones whose powers are strictly helpful for humans.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
InfoCynic wrote:
How does the new skill set work in Dee's Promotion?

Perhaps: "Each turn, you may replace exactly one of your tactics card draws with the chosen skill."

Cavil's drawback could be intense but it's an interesting tradeoff I suppose. I just think that adding more basestars is like a giant bullseye saying "send me to the res ship" which is very painful. You could wind up spending most of the game in the res ship => worse than sickbay and have 0 interaction with other players' turns because you have no cards, ever. And this not by your own fault -- crises can add basestars and humans can and often will destroy these (esp w/ Razor Cut threatening to actually destroy Galactica).


Dee simply adds one skill to her normal skill set (i.e, she draws six cards instead of five).

I could change Cavil's draw back to only affect him if he is at the Cylon Fleet location...?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
I don't understand why Adama's ongoing ability is considered so broken now. If you committed sabotage during your turn, then everyone will know you're a Cylon and won't be relying on 1's anyhow, and if you didn't commit sabotage during your turn, then you're essentially doing the equivalent of blatantly spiking a Skill Check as your reveal, which doesn't seem game-breaking - any character with Skill Cards to spare can do it, and several characters - most notably Boomer, Tyrol, and Caprica Six - can do similar reveals, except that theirs can't even be stopped by Brigging.

Sure, maybe as a reveal it's comparable to an OPG. That's fine. A reveal turn is something you're only going to get once per game regardless of where the power you're using is printed on your character card.


Agreed - to be honest, I'm not really seeing why it's so OP either, for precisely this reason. But I posted the drafts for feedback, so am happy to have it explained to me!

Also, for what it's worth, I've never thought that Caprica Six's or even the Chief's OPGs are particularly interesting or powerful anyway. To me, those powers have always needed a bit of a boost, so turning them into an equivalent always-on might be the thing!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
I don't understand why Adama's ongoing ability is considered so broken now. If you committed sabotage during your turn, then everyone will know you're a Cylon and won't be relying on 1's anyhow, and if you didn't commit sabotage during your turn, then you're essentially doing the equivalent of blatantly spiking a Skill Check as your reveal, which doesn't seem game-breaking - any character with Skill Cards to spare can do it, and several characters - most notably Boomer, Tyrol, and Caprica Six - can do similar reveals, except that theirs can't even be stopped by Brigging.

Sure, maybe as a reveal it's comparable to an OPG. That's fine. A reveal turn is something you're only going to get once per game regardless of where the power you're using is printed on your character card.


You've obviously never seen the games where the "unrevealed" Cylons cram everyone else in the Brig and takeover the ship. While this is a bad situation to begin with, now you're making it even worse.

It's certainly possible and a big fallacy to assume that an unrevealed Cylon will not get a second turn that's not in the Brig or as a Cylon after making an obvious reveal move. Any power that is balanced on this assumption is not balanced. Sometimes there are bigger things to worry about, like a ship falling apart or a civilian fleet in danger. To give the Cylon the equivalent of a OPG power every time he has a turn until you have time to deal with him is too strong.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:

Dee simply adds one skill to her normal skill set (i.e, she draws six cards instead of five).


I suppose that's fine, it works OK for Ellen Tigh in the base game (although she is considered one of the most powerful characters for it, and she has an inflexible card draw). It might prove to be extremely strong. Too strong? Hard to know.

Quote:

I could change Cavil's draw back to only affect him if he is at the Cylon Fleet location...?


That could work thematically ... if he's with the Cylon Fleet, he's on a basestar, and he's on one that's attacking Galactica (he's not going to watch from safety)... the other leaders are on basestars but are smart (?) enough to stay back and not risk having to res.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
InfoCynic wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:

Dee simply adds one skill to her normal skill set (i.e, she draws six cards instead of five).


I suppose that's fine, it works OK for Ellen Tigh in the base game (although she is considered one of the most powerful characters for it, and she has an inflexible card draw). It might prove to be extremely strong. Too strong? Hard to know.


I was thinking it was still actually too weak! Considering she can only use it at 4+ distance, and she gets executed at Morale=2, she's likely to only get around 4-5 extra card draws from it (plus it costs an action). Puts it around the same power as her original OPG.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Beck
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Felix alearum famis! Et posse impares sumus erimus en tui semper favoris.
badge
Proprietor of The Bored Gaymer, BGG's most popular blog with the words "Bored" and "Gaymer" in the title!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a lot here, but I will restrict my comments to Apollo and Roslin, since I am a raving partisan of the latter.

Though, to be perfectly honest, I don't really think most of the characters need any adjusting, but I guess I could see why you'd want to update them to work better with your Razor cut.

I really dislike Roslin's drawback. It seems, frankly, to be totally crippling. By the time you reach New Caprica (or wherever, depending on what destination you're using), She's going to be essentially unable to activate locations.

Roslin's drawback works on her original card because it is coupled with what is essentially the best per-turn in the game. You've toned down the drawback in the respect that she can freely activate locations at the beginning of the game, but that it gets progressively harder and harder for her to activate them over time.

I don't see this as actually balancing it out, though, since she CAN activate locations in a pinch with her original drawback, especially if she has some level-1 or treachery cards she can discard.

By the third jump, though, it's going to be almost completely unrealistic for her to activate any locations whatsoever. This seems especially unfortunate if, for example, she fails to draw an XO. What's she doing to do, consolidate power?

Additionally, since her per-turn ability is tied to activating the President's Office, she is basically (by the latter half of the game) going to be basically totally useless. Her per-turn doesn't even let her stockpile cards that she could use later, since she has to discard one of them after drawing it.

Her OPG is interesting, but a bit strange, to be honest, and though I like the idea behind it, it seems kind of middling to me.

I may be missing something but Roslin, as she stands with this, is not a character I would ever choose, as she seems like she'll be totally useless towards the end, and she has nothing to really compensate for these severe drawbacks.

As to Apollo, it has been pointed out that his drawback makes him a bad president and a bad CAG; these seem very un-thematic to me. Perhaps if it was something like, "Whenever you have to make a choice on a crisis card, you must discard a skill card"?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Colonial One wrote:

As to Apollo, it has been pointed out that his drawback makes him a bad president and a bad CAG; these seem very un-thematic to me. Perhaps if it was something like, "Whenever you have to make a choice on a crisis card, you must discard a skill card"?


I like this, or if you want to tweak it a bit -- "Whenever you have to make a choice on a crisis card, you must choose the top one, or randomly discard a skill card." The intent is that you must have the skill card, but I suppose you might want to add that explicitly. This captures the Headstrong/impulsive/stubborn theme, but doesn't make him totally irresponsible, it just costs him some effort to see all his options and act on that knowledge.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Colonial One wrote:
There is a lot here, but I will restrict my comments to Apollo and Roslin, since I am a raving partisan of the latter.

Though, to be perfectly honest, I don't really think most of the characters need any adjusting, but I guess I could see why you'd want to update them to work better with your Razor cut.

I really dislike Roslin's drawback. It seems, frankly, to be totally crippling. By the time you reach New Caprica (or wherever, depending on what destination you're using), She's going to be essentially unable to activate locations.

Roslin's drawback works on her original card because it is coupled with what is essentially the best per-turn in the game. You've toned down the drawback in the respect that she can freely activate locations at the beginning of the game, but that it gets progressively harder and harder for her to activate them over time.

I don't see this as actually balancing it out, though, since she CAN activate locations in a pinch with her original drawback, especially if she has some level-1 or treachery cards she can discard.

By the third jump, though, it's going to be almost completely unrealistic for her to activate any locations whatsoever. This seems especially unfortunate if, for example, she fails to draw an XO. What's she doing to do, consolidate power?

Additionally, since her per-turn ability is tied to activating the President's Office, she is basically (by the latter half of the game) going to be basically totally useless. Her per-turn doesn't even let her stockpile cards that she could use later, since she has to discard one of them after drawing it.

Her OPG is interesting, but a bit strange, to be honest, and though I like the idea behind it, it seems kind of middling to me.


Just wanted to comment on the last sentence above...

Middling??!! I was worried it was massively over-powered (which is why I was fine with her drawback being a bit more harsh than the original). It's basically up to 12 free skill cards, plus a Reckless-free Guts & Initiative for ~5 turns. How is that in any way "middling"?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Roslin doesn't seem that bad. The original Roslin could barely activate President's Office and often had to resort to the inefficient title card action. Now, even at her worse, she is probably a bit of a better President than before, but I think the idea is that Roslin is a Presidential superpower to start out, and then gradually withers away to a point where she's not really capable of handling the responsibility.

She can XO and CP still, which is practically all that regular Roslin did if she lost her title anyway. She can still attack Occupation Forces too!


I'm not seeing the problem with Adama. If he turns out to be a cylon keeping everyone in the brig, then just don't play any 1's into Adama's skill check. Since you only play one card from the brig, playing a 1 is probably just going to be a "bluff" anyway. His ability won't affect breakout attempts that aren't during his turn, so getting out of the situation isn't really any harder, and the fact that Adama is completely unable to defend himself against an Admiral's Quarters check means that as soon as someone breaks out, he's going in to take their place.

At best, he gets to use his ability to unexpectedly and publicly spike a skill check, and then nobody will ever trust him again. Then, all his ability is really doing is preventing other people from playing 1's into HIS checks. Big deal, just don't play 1's. Get him into the brig and he's not a threat anymore.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Beck
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Felix alearum famis! Et posse impares sumus erimus en tui semper favoris.
badge
Proprietor of The Bored Gaymer, BGG's most popular blog with the words "Bored" and "Gaymer" in the title!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Just wanted to comment on the last sentence above...

Middling??!! I was worried it was massively over-powered (which is why I was fine with her drawback being a bit more harsh than the original). It's basically up to 12 free skill cards, plus a Reckless-free Guts & Initiative for ~5 turns. How is that in any way "middling"?


AH, sorry, I completely misunderstood the ability. I interpreted it as her setting the Destiny Deck aside, and then putting it back on her next turn.

You're right, that is much more powerful. In that case it does help, though I still don't really think that balances her out completely.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also worth noting that Roslin's destiny deck pickup can help her figure if a player has played negative cards in a recent skill check, and the absence of destiny for the next few skill checks boosts the utility of Investigative Committee, which is good synergy since Roslin can draw a lot of those.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.