Popular Tags: [View All]
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

So we pretty much decided to stick with the crib through the move. It keeps more things the same for our toddler, and our pediatrician recommends him staying in it as long as he can up to age 3.

But now I'm wondering about the safety of moving a drop-side crib. How sturdy is it going to be after the move? The guy is coming over tomorrow to give us an estimate on moving costs, and I'll ask him whether or not it will have to be disassembled. Even if we don't have to reassemble it, being on the truck for 1300 miles is sure to loosen up the plastic bits on the drop-side. I'm not sure they could even get it down the stairs without disassembling it.

Have any of you moved a crib before? What kind was it? Did you disassemble it first? How sturdy was it after the move?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Take it apart and move it. Put the small bits in a bag that can be sealed and keep that bag close to the crib.

It will be sturdier this way than if you keep it all together, because it was designed to be broken down.

Good luck with your move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mutton javelin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Make sure when you reassemble the crib that all the dropside components are as before. I noticed the one we have show a bit of wear on some parts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Oh, and the CPSC has issued a warning against all drop-side cribs. Part of this warning involves disassembling and reassembling them over time.

Our crib has not been recalled. Our model and color, but a slightly earlier make-date has been recalled, as has our model in a different color with the same make-date.

Yes, I'm a worrier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
One has to understand that the risks involved the defects found in such recalls are typically minuscule. There's a whole lot riskier things that kids interact every day.

Also, take into account that those risks vary with the age of the kid. Something that is very risky for a newborn is not so risky for a kid that is over a year old. You'd have a bigger risk by, say, leaving a heavy blanket in the crib, than you have by using a dropside crib with no asphyxiation hazards on it.

If you worry about minuscule percentages now, what are you going to do when your kid gets more freedom? Every pool, flight of stairs, glass bottle, or dangerous piece of garbage found of the street is going to be worse than the crib!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
If you worry about minuscule percentages now, what are you going to do when your kid gets more freedom? Every pool, flight of stairs, glass bottle, or dangerous piece of garbage found of the street is going to be worse than the crib!

Nervous breakdown in 3... 2... 1...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hedke
United States
Gibraltar
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Most problems can be solved with either a stiff drink, a bowel movement, or a bullet.
mbmbmbmbmb
mutton javelin1 wrote:
Make sure when you reassemble the crib that all the dropside components are as before. I noticed the one we have show a bit of wear on some parts.

Harumph.

Take a photo of it assembled to answer those nagging questions which arise on reassembly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
Also, take into account that those risks vary with the age of the kid. Something that is very risky for a newborn is not so risky for a kid that is over a year old. You'd have a bigger risk by, say, leaving a heavy blanket in the crib, than you have by using a dropside crib with no asphyxiation hazards on it.

The issue I'm worried about (drop side breaking) is a toddler problem, not a newborn: http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml10/10225.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bismarck1871 wrote:
mutton javelin1 wrote:

Harumph.

Take a photo of it assembled to answer those nagging questions which arise on reassembly.

A good idea.

And now I've just remembered that when we assembled it, we put strain on one of the plastic pieces simply by inserting the screw. We're going to check it tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Sell it and after you move buy a wooden crib that doesn't have the drop down sides.

If you move anywhere close to an Ikea they sell some great affordable solid cribs.

Disclaimer: We purchased one of these and it went thru both our boys and we passed in onto some friends and it's still in great condition. Also I don't trust the drop down side cribs. Your milage may vary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:
And now I've just remembered that when we assembled it, we put strain on one of the plastic pieces simply by inserting the screw. We're going to check it tomorrow.

If the part that is stressed wears through, the side will still be on the runner, but if we have to unscrew and rescrew that part, I doubt the piece will hold. Two lousy parts made of plastic. I remember being disgruntled when we put it together to find plastic right there.

Once we move to GA, we'll rent until we can find a house. Then it's time to tear down the crib again and put it back up.

Logic says: Keep him in the crib as long as possible!

Gut says: Get him out of there!!

robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They usually move sideways, and watch out for their claws.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
Step 1: Remove your son from the crib.
Step 2: Take pictures of any intricate crib assemblies.
Step 3: Disassemble the crib, putting all small parts in a ziplock bag and then taping the bag to one of the headboards.

We have two drop-down cribs in our attic which we've assembled and disassembled several times. They are actually the same cribs that my wife used when she was an infant (but I don't know why she had two -- perhaps she leaped between them at night).

Good luck with the move!

And remember to poke a few air holes in the box in which you pack Jeff...

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you use the drop-down? It probably wouldn't be too hard to "lock" the drop-down safely in its up position with some strategic use of a nail, screw, or maybe even some duct tape (provided that you can put it on in a child-safe manner.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
BoB3K wrote:
Do you use the drop-down? It probably wouldn't be too hard to "lock" the drop-down safely in its up position with some strategic use of a nail, screw, or maybe even some duct tape (provided that you can put it on in a child-safe manner.)

Given Amy's overly-stimulated imagination of what may befall her little one... I believe you have the correct answer for her Bob.

Duct tape.

Here's a picture of one of mine from their toddler days:

I saved a bundle over the cost of a crib. One roll of quality duct tape was good for about 90 nights of restful sleep for the little one. And safe as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:

robot

Ah well, this is a no-brainer, go with your gut. If it helps reduce your stress, then that takes priority right now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jatoha wrote:
amwiles wrote:

robot

Ah well, this is a no-brainer, go with your gut. If it helps reduce your stress, then that takes priority right now!

I agree, and even though his pediatrician recommends.....you are the parent and not him/her. Sometimes, pediatricians can be wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BoB3K wrote:

Actually, I need to. He's so heavy, I have a hard time getting him out otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AMERIGAMER!
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take the baby out first.
laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.