Levée en Masse» Forums » Sessions

Subject: The experience of a San Coulotte playing the game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dylan Alliata

New York
msg tools
mb
The following was a report sent to me by a solider in the French Army who recounts his service during the the Revolution. I apologize in advance for some of his remarks but they are his opinon not mine. I do not condone regicide.

I am alas only a little San Coulotte a humble carpenter. My moment of glory was building Mdme. Guillotine which has just taken the life of the King. Whatever sins he committed in this life he will not avoid punishment in the next, if there is one. These days everything is up for question. We were threatened up to the execution of the king from Prussia, Austria, Piedmont and even England sent some of their bastards to attack us. The worst was the Vendee. They even reached Paris. To the Barricades Citizens the stench of reaction is on our door step. We through them back from Paris and the regular Army then came in and shoved them back all the way to Toulon. Prussia alas seemed to have lost their way again. Shoved back into their bierstube in Berlin the made very little progress. A Republic was created in Cologne, crushed once by the Prussian then with more aid from the Republique stood fast against any further encroachments. By the time the King was killed Britain was back in London no doubt enjoying whiskey at some Pall Mall club, Prusssia in Berlin, and Austia dancing to one of their waltzes. Savoy and the Vendee had made some advance but were not fear. The Repulique stood at 4, Monarchy at 1 and Despotism at 2 .

With the execution of the King I was on the advice of some of my drinking companions told to sign up for military duty. To be honest I have longed to see the world outside my faubourg and winner great honor as a soldier. Under the ancien regime this was not possible but the Republique makes all things possible. I have a good head for figures and with my carpentry exprience I was attached to the Artillery commanded by a short litte Corsican. He does hold some power of us, although I do not share his exalted view of himself. After Formio the Republic was never in danger. We campaigned against Austria and PRussia checking their advance to they never got past the 4 space. Sometimes our Republican allies checked the Prussian advance at other times I was sent to reinforce them and as always we pushed them back to Berlin. By the Treaty of Campo Forio both Prussia and Austria decided that wine women and song were better alternatives to fighting the French and sit inactive. Britain looms at sea threatening us, although I think the British real fight is with the British people at home. For every solider they send against us they keep 2 at home to watch the people. Perhaps one day I will go to England and show them how to build the Madame and what to feed her. She only likes royal fodder.
The Vendee is housed in Toulon those vipers no doubt scheming and the House of Savoy is camped outside Florence. The Monarchy is at 2 and despotism at zero and the Repupublique at 3. We did have some disorder in Paris but a wiff of gunpowder put it down.

I hear that we are to go to Egypt. My how the borders of France have grown. Well Egypt was a disappointment. The natives were sullen, morose and ungrateful. I was glad to leave that wretched place. The contient proved to be a beehive of activity. We wer pounced on by the Austrians and Prussians and the British too made a brief sortee but we pushed all of them back with the help of our allies. By the time the treaty Amiens was signed all the opposing armies had been shoved back to their starting points and they decided that a Europe with Napleon was better than years of more war. We scored fewer points only 23 losing 6 points for the red deck that remained. Such is the fortunes of war. There is news that I may be detached to the Tyrol to help out the Republican Artllery there.

The game ended with a decisive victory of the Revolution
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Welch
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is wonderful! Particularly for those that have already played the game. The sense of humor really hits the 'sweet spot'. I can't wait to read more adventures of the lowly San Coulotte!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel GOUSSET
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report but please, "Sans-Culotte"...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.