Phantom Leader» Forums » Rules

Subject: ECM Pod / EA6A /EB66 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Earp
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Can the modifiers for ECM Pod / EA6A /EB66 be used against all sites including Infantry ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Infantry is a 'site' and can attack aircraft. I don't see any rule why they wouldn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Earp
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes, I agree there is no rule. However, I don't see how Electric countermeasures affect a guy pointing a machine gun into the sky ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is not a correct simulation, it's an abstraction.

But you can always craft your own rules to make it harder on your planes by not allowing the modifier when shot at by infantry... Or S-60 AAA guns... Or the Z-23-2... Or Bandits when they shoot with guns...

I think when you are done the electronics protection will be pretty useless and your game broken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad G
United States
Overland Park
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same initial thought. But if you consider that jamming helps foils search radars from identifying the location and heading of aircraft it makes sense that there's less time to get the word out to particular ground troops to expect inbound aircraft coming from a particular direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Earp
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Good Point Chad, that makes sense thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Whiting
Scotland
flag msg tools
I was thinking about this last night too during a mission. It seems a verry powerful defensive counter. I cant see why you wouldnt have all your aircraft take one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Keep in mind that an Infantry site is not six guys with AK-47s. It's elements of a infantry regiment, and could thus include things like...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZSU-23-4

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-125_Neva/Pechora

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9K31_Strela-1

These self-propelled, radar-guided guns and radar-homing missiles were usually part of an infantry regiment, not an air defense unit or battery. They were in Viet Nam at the time and aren't represented by any other counters.

I'm sure these worried pilots more than some enthusiastic guy with a HMG. Think about the effective range of an HMG and how long the jet is within range. Think about how fast you need to swing that weapon to track a jet. Compare muzzle velocity to rate of fire to see the distance between bullets in the stream. HMGs did take down Phantoms, but it wasn't the thing you feared most.

Still, I'd guess the IR-homing weapons were the biggest part of the infantry threat and none of the EW stuff from that time did anything about those. If there was a reduced EW bonus for attacks from Infantry I'd say that was a good rule, but we'd be getting a little too picky.

Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.