Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Walock
United States
West Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantasy flight games just announced an expansion for this game, Wardens of the West.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=1334

It seems strange to me that an expansion is announced for a game that is still on the boat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This your first interaction with FFG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since this is a Lannister reinforcement pack, one assumes a Stark reinforcement pack will also be released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Bezzant
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
"Everyone wants to be unique, but no one wants to be different."
mbmbmbmbmb
Kalidor wrote:
This your first interaction with FFG?

Can you name another game that an expansion has been announced before the base game comes out? I can't, but then I'm getting old
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Bezzant
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
"Everyone wants to be unique, but no one wants to be different."
mbmbmbmbmb
I was really looking forward to this, but now I will be waiting to see how the game plays. Normally I am one of the first to drink the FFG Kool-Aid(tm) but if they feel the need to announce an expanion with "new game mechanics", I get pretty nervous.

I'm not saying I won't buy it, but I need to see more information before I make my decision.

Darren
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds a lot like what they're doing to BattleLore with Horrific Hordes!

This actually helps assuage my concerns with BattleLore, since a similar distribution model will probably mean Dwarves and other race packs in the future.

But man, counting chickens before they're hatched.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iirc Warhamer: Invasion was the last to announce expansions before the base game was out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love FFG, so I'll be buying, no questions asked...
Between the theme/setting, and FFG's track record of satisfying me, I'm in!

I am also quite sure that "new game mechanics" speaks to options...not a rules rewrite...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWAlbion wrote:
iirc Warhamer: Invasion was the last to announce expansions before the base game was out.

True, but since W:I is a Living Card Game, expansions are mandatory. Not announcing them before the base game hit the shelves would have been truly horrible marketing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
dbezzant wrote:
I was really looking forward to this, but now I will be waiting to see how the game plays. Normally I am one of the first to drink the FFG Kool-Aid(tm) but if they feel the need to announce an expanion with "new game mechanics", I get pretty nervous.

I'm not saying I won't buy it, but I need to see more information before I make my decision.

Darren

Yeah, I don't know if this is a smart move on their part. They know gamers are ticked off that Battlelore is now deemed "not viable to produce" so before the main Battles Of Westeros (aka Bastardized Battlelore) is released they're already shoving proposed expansions in our face. As if to say, "Look! Look! See, we're going to actually support this one! See! SEE?!?!" Maybe I'm overreacting, but this seems like a bad combination of desperation, panic, and insult, all rolled into one. Like the hyper 6-year-old nephew you see once a year that just refuses to get out of your face.

Have we even seen a rulebook yet for the base game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffk wrote:
MWAlbion wrote:

True, but since W:I is a Living Card Game, expansions are mandatory. Not announcing them before the base game hit the shelves would have been truly horrible marketing.

Yeah, but they are cranking out expansions for WI at an alarming rate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike P
United States
Castleton
New York
flag msg tools
Check out my blog, Board Game Radar!!!
badge
Stop! That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. That was quick. I actually thought the first expansion would be the Baratheons (Stanis, Renly, Robert) and then a King's Landing one (Tyrion, Hound).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Weihs
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it in Beta form and read the rulebook such as it was at the time. Can't say much beyond that other than I think most will like what they see and consider the game faithful to the Battlelore license yet different in many ways

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fanaka66 wrote:
Wow. That was quick. I actually thought the first expansion would be the Baratheons (Stanis, Renly, Robert) and then a King's Landing one (Tyrion, Hound).

Well, Christian Petersen, the CEO of FFG, said in the infamous Q&A about Battlelore and Battles of Westeros that his favorite character in the book series is Tyrion, so it makes sense that Tyrion is the first new commander introduced in this first expansion.

Personally, I considered the hound one of the most interesting characters in the book, so I'm glad that he's part of this expansion. Judging from the cover of this expansion, I don't think we'll see a mini of the Hound showing his burned face, but it makes sense since he always wore his "dog" helmet in battle anyway.

I'm sad to see no wildlings in this expansion, though, since it seems like that is what Tyrion would bring to the battle. I guess Pikemen, Crossbowmen and militia will be cool enough, though.

If you can't tell, I'm psyched about seeing the first expansion announced already. BoW is the first game I have ever preordered based on reviews alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
fanaka66 wrote:
I actually thought the first expansion would be the Baratheons (Stanis, Renly, Robert) and then a King's Landing one (Tyrion, Hound).

Yeah, me too. I'm particularly worried about how an expansion designed for only one side of the figthers will unbalance the game. It makes no sense to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Newell
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Is it just me, or is FFG on its way to becoming the EA Games of board gaming?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan DeHaan
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know? Have any of their wives complained that they never see their husband, because they go from crunchtime to crunchtime? Or have they done massive buy-outs and layoffs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
radynski wrote:
fanaka66 wrote:
I actually thought the first expansion would be the Baratheons (Stanis, Renly, Robert) and then a King's Landing one (Tyrion, Hound).

Yeah, me too. I'm particularly worried about how an expansion designed for only one side of the figthers will unbalance the game. It makes no sense to me.

This is a game about having options. This expansion just has three additional Lannister-friendly leaders, three new Lannister unit types and some additional rules and probably scenarios. I'm sure the Stark-friendly expansion will be announced shortly.

Were both of you guys really all that surprised that the Lannister expansion with both Tyrion and the Hound was announced before the Baratheon/Stark-friendly expansion? My guess is that the three leaders in the next expansion will be Robert Baratheon, Blackfish, and Edmure Tully (mostly inept brother of Catelyn Tully). I guess Jon Snow will be in a later expansion, but we'll see.

And, for those interested, follow the link to the FFG page and Christian Petersen has made a comment (#24) that attempts to address the concerns of those on the forums talking about incomplete game and complaining about the expansion coming out before even the core game is released.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franjo
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What really surprises (and annoys) me is not the announcement of an expansion before releasing the main game, but the fact that this expansion is about one of the factions that they are already going to include in the first, "core", set.

If the news were about one of the not yet released factions (they've got a lot of them: the two Baratheons, Martell, Greyjoy, Arryn, etc.) I would be happy to see that they were supporting the game from the beginning. But this seems to me an abusing move by their part for those who, as I, are really interested in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What can you do? Tyrion is Christian Petersen's favorite character. And I would argue that Sandor the Hound Clegane and Tyrion Lannister are two of the most interesting and sympathetic characters in the whole series.

I for one am glad that they chose some of these most well-developed characters to include, rather than the rather bland Baratheons or Arryns. I'd rather see Wildlings and Others before them.

I'm guessing that expansions with new armies, i.e. Targaryen, Greyjoy, etc. will be bigger, with 50-60 minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franjo
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tyrion and The Hound are also two of my favourites characters, but they could have put them in the first set.

The expansions could come with a theme (by example, the battle for King's Landing, the Greyjoy raids in the mainland, etc.) and with the full army or armies that fought there. I'm sure they still could have plenty of expansions available doing this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Newell
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Aulayan wrote:
I don't know? Have any of their wives complained that they never see their husband, because they go from crunchtime to crunchtime? Or have they done massive buy-outs and layoffs?

I should have been clearer. EA Games minus their evil side. This expansion in particular reminds me of the held-back content turned release-day "expansions" for Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Shaw
United States
Waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the information from FFG CEO Christian Petersen,

"All,

The games hobby marketplace calls for FFG to solicit releases that are 3-4 months out. Thus, we have a choice to either announce it first here, or have everyone find out (with less info) on some third party website distributing our solicitation info.

BattleLore is FFG's tactical medieval combat brand, and as with the original Battlelore game, will have expansions on an ongoing basis. Announcing an expansion is not a sign of an incomplete core game (BoW is an amazing stand-alone game), it is a testament for how awesome we think the core game is.

The world of Westeros is rife with interesting characters, houses, and thrilling events, infinitely exceeding what we could have placed in a core set. We look forward to expanding the "Battles of Westeros" options plentyfully in over the next few years for players seeking an engaging living experience in their games, in addition to an amazing stand-alone core set.

One of the most frequent complaints leveled against FFG is in our slower-than-the-player-hopes-for efforts to bring supporting material to our "toolbox" games (such as Tide of Iron, BattleLore, Descent: Journey's in the Dark, LCG's, etc). We're working hard to address these issues. Our philosophy is to have a commitment to every game line as if it was our only game line.

Hopefully this helps your understanding of this issue. I can assure you that once we've released BoW, that many, many players will be thrilled that we have new options for them planned for them quickly."

Christian Petersen
CEO
Fantasy Flight Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiorgos Golfinopoulos
Greece
Patras
GREECE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like the way FFG is going with this. Does anyone else think that Mr. Petersen is extremely skilled at avoiding to answer the questions that really matter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff H
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
U.S. 95th Infantry Division - The Iron Men of Metz
mbmbmbmbmb
From reading these comments, it seems to me that FFG just can't win. Either they announce one expansion at a time and listen to: "There's no direction for this game.", "How soon will an expansion come out?", "Will FFG continue to support this line?"

Or they can announce them early and be accused of jumping the gun. And people wonder why Days of Wonder stopped talking with the fans about their upcoming games.

Geoff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.